Holiday shopping?-Dont forget link!

DevilMinder

Hi All,

I was getting my taxes ready when I began looking into NJDevs operating expenses. As many of you may have noticed we lost advertising support in August of last year due to Forums no longer being allowed under the new Verizon/AOL ad networks terms and conditions. AOL was the last big ad network left that we qualified for (need hundreds of thousands of views a month).

The costs of running this forum and its large hosting needs still continue even if perceived traffic is down. Last year with all things said and done the expenses were just under $1,300(hosting,software,registrar). Straight PayPal donations only accounted for $70 last year. For those of you thankfully using Amazon referral links, you netted us $375 dollars. Advertising rounded out at $432 when it ended in August.

Total loss for the year, $330 out of my pocket. 

I am asking for donations to cover the loss of our advertising income and that you religiously use the amazon referral links to provide income to the expenses.

Amazon is trialing a new advertising network itself, which I am running as of last night. it unfortunately pays in the low end of the original ad payouts we had. So if you are running ad block, white list and unblock scripts for the site.

Thanks!

Brad "DM" Smith

paypal.me/njdevs

I'll see what I can donate.  Thanks for all of the hard work you do.

How do the Amazon links work?  You click on one from this site and go to Amazon and it generates money just by visiting their site, or do you have to make a purchase for it to count?

Also, not looking to get into specifics or say that I don't believe you, but I am just curious why it's so high to run a site like this?  I used to do web design/hosting back in the day and would just be curious to see some of the stats breakdowns in terms of traffic, bandwidth, and overall storage capacity.  To lock up a domain you can literally pay 10 bucks a year for 5 or 10 years and not have to worry about it for a loooong time.  At $1,300 for the year, you're looking at about $100+ per month for hosting and bandwidth, and I feel like, for a site of this magnitude (again, assuming I have a rough idea of the type of traffic and storage this site requires), you should be able to find something closer to the $25-50/mo range, effectively cutting your cost in half, or even in quarters. 

Just a few examples that come to mind... HostGator's highest "Business Plan" is $10/mo.  GoDaddy has unlimited bandwidth AND unlimited storage (not that you'd need it, it's not like this is a site where people upload files), and is only $7.99/mo.   So....yeah... the opportunity to save some money might be just a search away.

Who's your current hosting provider?

We started out on one of those lower plans, and it was quite easy to cover the bills ($24 a month or so).

The problem now is active users and the large database are very memory intensive and a shared plan no longer work for this site. We used to crash or slow to a crawl for any news event in the old hosting days. The hosting itself is $85 a month, the rest is the forum software (support and updates). I use namecheap for the URL its only 10 bucks a year plus the SSL cert and the privacy guard it comes out to about $20.

At $390 now from paypal donations, thanks everyone! Now I don't have to worry about the hosting hitting my card for a couple of months.

Just to clarify, once you click on the amazon referrals link above it will attach a NJdevs_com link while you browse and ultimately buy something during that session. Once you leave or buy nothing, we don't get anything. The referrals have netted 12 bucks this week, thanks for that!

15 hours ago, DevilMinder said:

We started out on one of those lower plans, and it was quite easy to cover the bills ($24 a month or so).

The problem now is active users and the large database are very memory intensive and a shared plan no longer work for this site. We used to crash or slow to a crawl for any news event in the old hosting days. The hosting itself is $85 a month, the rest is the forum software (support and updates). I use namecheap for the URL its only 10 bucks a year plus the SSL cert and the privacy guard it comes out to about $20.

At $390 now from paypal donations, thanks everyone! Now I don't have to worry about the hosting hitting my card for a couple of months.

Just to clarify, once you click on the amazon referrals link above it will attach a NJdevs_com link while you browse and ultimately buy something during that session. Once you leave or buy nothing, we don't get anything. The referrals have netted 12 bucks this week, thanks for that!

Gotcha, makes sense.   I understand the need for being on an isolated server/environment, but have you thought about going to a virtualized platform?   The computing world today is largely a shared space even in the largest of organizations and datacenters, and virtualizing has helped tremendously. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On February 24, 2016 at 8:08 PM, dmann422 said:

just sent what little i could. thanks as always for the great site DM

Sent something as well.  Loved coming here for years.

• Like 1