Kovalchuk removed from SKA after 1 Playoff Game

RSC

19 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Just for my understanding/clarification:

Why did he not have to wait a calendar year after terminating his NHL contract before playing in the KHL?  Why must he wait the full year to return after terminating his KHL deal?

Is it simply because the KHL and NHL have different rules?  I thought there was some sort of transfer agreement in place that worked both ways.

Kovy's ability to return to the NHL is governed by the NHL's bylaws and constitution.  Unlike the CBA, they're not generally made available to the public, but you can find versions from about ten years ago on-line.  The league, through Daley, has said that the by-laws provide that a player that retires needs either the consent of all 30 teams to return or has to not play hockey professionally for a full year, at which point his rights revert to his former team unless the player has reached a certain age, in which case he's a free agent (I think it's 35). 

There are a few wrinkles in that there is a provision in the by-laws that could be interpreted to mean that Kovy could return to the Devils within a shorter period of time.  (I wrote about this a while ago, and don't have the inclination to go look for it again).  And, the by-laws say that the commissioner has the final say on how the by-laws are interpreted and his decision is not reviewable by an arbitrator or a court.  So theoretically, Bettman could pull rank and let Kovy back immediately, although I doubt that he would contradict what Daley has said a few times. 

3 hours ago, Triumph said:

There is no understanding.  Kovalchuk's probably not bluffing, but he doesn't realize that he can't come back.  He has to sit out a full year if he wants to do that.  He lost his NHL privileges.

Isnt there a loophole where he can play for the Devils without sitting out a full year? "A player who rethinks his retirement only needs to wait a year before signing a new deal and returning to action. And since Kovalchuk signed his retirement papers on July 11, 2013, more than 18 months ago, it appears as though he could sign a new contract with the Devils, his previous NHL team, and be eligible for immediate reinstatement"

Thanks for the replies Tri and Daniel - clears things up.

1 hour ago, HellOnICE said:

I hope he comes back for the rest of the year. Might as well make it entertaining.

Agreed.. as long as he's not a complete cancer in the lockerroom.  Devils kinda have a good thing going right now.

I miss having him here.

No, he wasn't a perfect player. But boy was he exciting to watch.

NO way I blame him for going home and making a ton of money. Who wouldn't take that offer?

Yes I would love to see him come back. Lower contract of course, but I think it would be great. And if it doesn't work, make sure the contract has an out.

But something tells me if he came back, he would be motivated to succeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Joonas #6 said:

Can you imagine Patty welcoming him back to the team? Haha that'd be interesting. 

haha Yup. I don't think Patty ever liked him. And at first I could only see it as being an innate Czech/Soviet thing but now, oooof... Awkward locker room situation.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Joonas #6 said:

Can you imagine Patty welcoming him back to the team? Haha that'd be interesting. 

That would be very interesting.    I remember Langenbrunner, Elias and Parise did not like the special treatment that Lemaire used to give Kovy and killed the team morale.

11 minutes ago, MantaRay said:

I would rather have Patty and help the team get in the playoffs, but adding Kovy would get us a higher draft pick for next year.

God you really hate Kovy, lol, some things never change. I understand that his attitude issues in Russia are troubling, but if you can add a minimum 20 goal scorer for free, how does that make the team worse?

7 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

God you really hate Kovy, lol, some things never change. I understand that his attitude issues in Russia are troubling, but if you can add a minimum 20 goal scorer for free, how does that make the team worse?

Nothing is FREE.   His attitude issues in Russia????   How about his attitude issues in North America.   He signed with us only because no one else wanted him.     The first thing he did when Lou (via JVK) gave him a contract offer was to have his agent set up a meeting with the LA Kings, because he didn't want to play here.     His subsequent "retirement" speaks volumes about his character and commitments.

He is a 20 Goals scorer who will want Ovechkin like money.    Your delusional if you think he will sign for FREE

2 minutes ago, MantaRay said:

Nothing is FREE.   His attitude issues in Russia????   How about his attitude issues in North America.   He signed with us only because no one else wanted him.     The first thing he did when Lou (via JVK) gave him a contract offer was to have his agent set up a meeting with the LA Kings, because he didn't want to play here.     His subsequent "retirement" speaks volumes about his character and commitments.

He is a 20 Goals scorer who will want Ovechkin like money.    Your delusional if you think he will sign for FREE

When I say free, I mean without giving up any assets. And I remember the 2012 Kovy, the one who played for the crest on the front, that's how I see his attitude when he played here. Obviously, in Russia he's acted like a diva, I don't dispute that.

We have so much cap space to throw around, if he'd come back for 2 years @ $5M, i'd easily do that. The team needs offense, and even at lower KHL scoring numbers, he's still a minimum 20 goal scorer.

8 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Look you're all entitled to your opinions, but if you guys can't see this guy is a MAJOR malcontent who also happens to be finished as a hockey player, then I don't know what to tell you. Some of you are stuck in 2012 and refuse to leave.

I never realized how many Kovy apologists and fanboys there really are.  I've now seen two posts that basically said "Well who wouldn't bail on the team that bent over backwards to commit insane coin and term to go play in a second-tier league?"  I know, it's his home country and he got a hell of an offer, but it's hardly like this is somehow even remotely common practice.  A lot of blinders when it comes to this guy.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

Look you're all entitled to your opinions, but if you guys can't see this guy is a MAJOR malcontent who also happens to be finished as a hockey player, then I don't know what to tell you. Some of you are stuck in 2012 and refuse to leave.

I never realized how many Kovy apologists and fanboys there really are.  I've now seen two posts that basically said "Well who wouldn't bail on the team that bent over backwards to commit insane coin and  term to go play in a second-tier league?"  Like this is somehow even remotely common practice.  A lot of blinders when it comes to this guy.

Yeah I don't get it at all. Devils fans are infatuated by this dope... fvcking move on already.

17 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

When I say free, I mean without giving up any assets. And I remember the 2012 Kovy, the one who played for the crest on the front, that's how I see his attitude when he played here. Obviously, in Russia he's acted like a diva, I don't dispute that.

We have so much cap space to throw around, if he'd come back for 2 years @ $5M, i'd easily do that. The team needs offense, and even at lower KHL scoring numbers, he's still a minimum 20 goal scorer.

You are serious?   While its true you are not giving up assets, but what you are doing is creating a poor culture and a stunting the growth and good habits of biggest assets: your young talent.     2012 was an aberration; Gionta, Carter and Bernier were equally as important as Parise, Zajac, Elias and Kovy.  Bryce Salvador leading NHL Defensemen in playoff scoring????   Aside from blip of 2012 success the Kovy years were a disaster and caused the team culture to crumble.  

We have a clean slate now, Shero has embarked on a new era in Devils hockey and the potential for greatness is here, why would you destroy this with bad chemistry?

I loved watching Kovy when he was here, and the run in 2012 showed what type of player he could ultimately become.  However, he burned this bridge, then nuked it.  If he wants to come back (and is ultimately allowed to), I think Shero really has to gauge if there are other teams interested in him to see if there is a market to trade his rights.  No way do I want him back in a Devils jersey, but his rights could potentially be an asset to the organization that may return some form of a draft pick as compensation. 

8 hours ago, Bryan said:

I miss having him here.

No, he wasn't a perfect player. But boy was he exciting to watch.

NO way I blame him for going home and making a ton of money. Who wouldn't take that offer?

If he was a FREE AGENT you could make that argument. Not when it comes to skipping town on a signed twelve-year deal to play in another professional league. There's a slight difference between leaving when you're not tied to anyone and walking out on a signed deal. The guy's always been a flake and proved it repeatedly and I continue to be amazed at the blinders.

Edited by NJDevs4978

2 hours ago, MantaRay said:

I would rather have Patty and help the team get in the playoffs, but adding Kovy would get us a higher draft pick for next year.

I'll take Curtain #3 Monty!  Elias coming back.. AND Kovalchuk reinstated.. AND Cammalleri returning.. AND trading for Staal. :P

..and if we're getting into a pissing contest between Kovy & Patty.. Patty wins

NJ_Devils_03_Stanley_Cup_Ring-1.jpg

There's alot of intangibles beyond JUST production.. and those rings still matter. More than having over 1,000+ points.. or being a 5x All-Star.. Elias is a Winner! He's a fringe HOF'er that would command much more respect out of that locker-room than #17.. and in end, THAT is the stuff that binds a team together.

6 hours ago, KOliwa29 said:

Say whatever we want about the guy, but I still think from an athlete standpoint he was the best hockey player to ever wear a Devil uni

Stevens and Niedermayer were both much better hockey players than Kovy.  Kovy was a great scorer, but he was nowhere near a complete player and was very 1 dimensional.