Kovalchuk removed from SKA after 1 Playoff Game

RSC

29 minutes ago, Blown01NJ said:

Lulz?

He lied to us? Grow up. Hes a human with human issues. You think he signed the contract with the plan to break it? How exactly did he lie? He left to go home and to make more money after being wooed by the KHL while our a$$hole league was locked out.

"waaa he lied"

Stupid.

By the way.  I didn't have to resort to name-calling to get my point across and you call me childish? 

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Good lord, could you leave any more details out, or just flat-out get them wrong? 

No one was opposed to them staying, they were opposed to the terms of their contracts more than anything else, especially the length of each one...for obvious reasons, I think if there was a way to choose, most Devils fans would've preferred Zach get the big money under the old CBA; that being said, there were legit concerns as to how he would hold up physically as he aged...which turned out to be a legit concern as he has missed a fair number of games in each of the past three years (15, 8, and 11 so far this season.  He was an Iron Man for the Devils with the exception of 2010-11). 

"Buddy" really fought hard for the Devils when he had to be dragged back from Russia and subsequently "retired" just to get out of having play for them any longer, a whopping three seasons into a 15-year contract.  The only thing Kovy seems to fight for these days is to get out of contracts when he doesn't feel like playing under them anymore.   

Not everyone was "high" on Kovy (his first full season with the Devils was tough to watch, especially the first half, though he clearly showed flashes of what we were hoping to see in the second half of that season).  Many Devils fans did very much like the player he became in 2012 and his desire to try to improve his overall game, as has been chronicled and detailed many times, but when he no longer wanted to be here, that player was pretty much dead.  We're now coming up on three seasons since he's left, and in those three seasons he's been a pretty good player in a secondary league he should be absolutely tearing up...were we supposed to remain "high" on him all this time since he left?   

Well you're wrong. Sure maybe what i addressed wasn't "your" opinion... doesn't make what i said wrong. The world doesn't revolve around you and I based my post on stuff that i indeed read in here. And while most people indeed were against the contract. Others were fine with his play, wanted him to stay long term and only once he left that he was a ghost in playoffs, he was going to be done within 3 years, he had no shot, couldnt score 10 feet outside of the net, all stuff that never came out of their mouth until he left. Then Kovy played the whole playoffs with a bad back and "he was a beast" for doing that. Yet he leaves and 

There WAS people saying they'd rather have Kovy long term over Zach also. There was MANY people people saying he was deserving of the Conn Smyth and that he carried out team on his back and that he should be captain etc etc their opinion on Zach and Kovy changed at the moment they left. Not 6 months after or 3 years after. 

And Kovy left the NHL after a bullsh!t lockout filled with greedy owners costing him money while he was playing in his country with owner promising him the moon while he was there. Tell me honestly you would have done things differently. He's a hero for that in his country.

I never said Kovy is still the player he was or anything. All im saying is that many fans took off their blinders at the second he was gone. If that wasnt you well good. 

5 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

I can't believe how much action this thread is still getting. If there was a beat a dead horse section this thread would belong there.

Heh heh, you're not wrong.  I think it has more to do with the current state of the Devils more than anything else.  If this team hadn't fallen off a cliff and out of the wild-card hunt and looked so brutal in doing it, if Cammalleri had returned to the lineup and produced, there would've been more "The hell with Kovy, who needs him?" posts.  But when your team is an also-ran (again) and there's not all that much to get excited about through the end of the year, this is the kind of thing that gets extra attention (and will likely continue to get hotly debated).  

12 hours ago, RizzMB30 said:

So your solution is to take away ice-time from possible young stars who are giving their best effort to earn a place to give it to a guy who can no longer be considered the same player he was?  You're right, we don't have much, but as many other have stated previously, we're currently re-building our forward corps and if you think a half-Kovy is going to magically "poof" us into the playoffs, I don't think that will happen.  We need to give our young forwards the ice-time in order to determine whether or not that have a future here.  Do Boucher, Blandisi, Kalinin have a real future here in a top 6 role?  We don't know that yet and it's still early for 2 of those 3. 

Winner by Knock out.

10 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Well you're wrong. Sure maybe what i addressed wasn't "your" opinion... doesn't make what i said wrong. The world doesn't revolve around you and I based my post on stuff that i indeed read in here. And while most people indeed were against the contract. Others were fine with his play, wanted him to stay long term and only once he left that he was a ghost in playoffs, he was going to be done within 3 years, he had no shot, couldnt score 10 feet outside of the net, all stuff that never came out of their mouth until he left. Then Kovy played the whole playoffs with a bad back and "he was a beast" for doing that. Yet he leaves and 

There WAS people saying they'd rather have Kovy long term over Zach also. There was MANY people people saying he was deserving of the Conn Smyth and that he carried out team on his back and that he should be captain etc etc their opinion on Zach and Kovy changed at the moment they left. Not 6 months after or 3 years after. 

And Kovy left the NHL after a bullsh!t lockout filled with greedy owners costing him money while he was playing in his country with owner promising him the moon while he was there. Tell me honestly you would have done things differently. He's a hero for that in his country.

I never said Kovy is still the player he was or anything. All im saying is that many fans took off their blinders at the second he was gone. If that wasnt you well good. 

The bolded:  don't say things like that, just makes you look very immature for your age, not to mention it's completely off-base.  But when you're doing the black-and-white thing, you do tend to leave out a lot of shades of gray.

Zach's walk year was kind of a mixed bag, performance-wise (slow start, looked more like the old Zach as the season went on, then a bit uneven in the playoffs), but he was homegrown and likable and still pretty young.  I think Kovy has always been seen as more of a merc by many:  forced his way out of Atlanta, re-signed with the Devils mostly because it didn't seem like the Kings (or anyone else) wanted in at a mega-bucks level.  I'll give you that we did start to see a popularity shift over the course of 2012...part of it due to performance (Kovy was clearly the more dynamic player that year), part of it was due to Kovy seeming like he was going to be all-in as a Devil for the next decade-plus and was becoming the face of the Devils (I pointed that out at the time).  And yeah, Kovy did fight (sometimes quite literally) in 2012, and was sometimes beastly on top of it.  But what he did do to the Devils was still pretty crappy...he knew what the Devils sacrificed to keep him.  Some will give him a pass for having a change of heart, and like I've always maintained, I'd rather have no Kovy than a miserable one making some serious coin, so on that count it was impossible to be upset about him leaving (for me at least).  I still think my overall assessment of his Devils tenure is pretty accurate...overall the results were definitely mixed.  And as we've seen with Kovy now, multiple times, his desire to fight for his team and be a true team-first guy comes and goes.  At the very least, he's now impossible to depend on long-term (or even short-term)...and as his physical skills decline, it's going to be a lot harder for people to find ways to give him passes on some of the Me-Me-Me crap he pulls.     

At 10+ years for their contracts, there were concerns for both players:  how long could Zach hold up physically playing his kind of game, and could Kovy still be useful in other aspects of his game if he was no longer a lock to score 35+ goals or so?  I would've happily taken both of them on 6-8 year deals and dealt with the 2 or 3 potentially meh years at the end of those contracts.  But unfortunately lunacy reigned supreme at the time due to an incredibly enabling CBA...GMs and owners can never be trusted not to be moronic.  I hated Kovy being re-signed (I thought Lou should've just let him walk), and I thought Parise's contract was nuts.      

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The bolded:  don't say things like that, just makes you look very immature for your age, not to mention it's completely off-base.  But when you're doing the black-and-white thing, you do tend to leave out a lot of shades of gray.

Zach's walk year was kind of a mixed bag, performance-wise (slow start, looked more like the old Zach as the season went on, then a bit uneven in the playoffs), but he was homegrown and likable and still pretty young.  I think Kovy has always been seen as more of a merc by many:  forced his way out of Atlanta, re-signed with the Devils mostly because it didn't seem like the Kings (or anyone else) wanted in at a mega-bucks level.  I'll give you that we did start to see a popularity shift over the course of 2012...part of it due to performance (Kovy was clearly the more dynamic player that year), part of it was due to Kovy seeming like he was going to be all-in as a Devil for the next decade-plus and was becoming the face of the Devils (I pointed that out at the time).  And yeah, Kovy did fight (sometimes quite literally) in 2012, and was sometimes beastly on top of it.  But what he did do to the Devils was still pretty crappy...he knew what the Devils sacrificed to keep him.  Some will give him a pass for having a change of heart, and like I've always maintained, I'd rather have no Kovy than a miserable one making some serious coin, so on that count it was impossible to be upset about him leaving (for me at least).  I still think my overall assessment of his Devils tenure is pretty accurate...overall the results were definitely mixed.  And as we've seen with Kovy now, multiple times, his desire to fight for his team and be a true team-first guy comes and goes.  At the very least, he's now impossible to depend on long-term (or even short-term)...and as his physical skills decline, it's going to be a lot harder for people to find ways to give him passes on some of the Me-Me-Me crap he pulls.     

At 10+ years for their contracts, there were concerns for both players:  how long could Zach hold up physically playing his kind of game, and could Kovy still be useful in other aspects of his game if he was no longer a lock to score 35+ goals or so?  I would've happily taken both of them on 6-8 year deals and dealt with the 2 or 3 potentially meh years at the end of those contracts.  But unfortunately lunacy reigned supreme at the time due to an incredibly enabling CBA...GMs and owners can never be trusted not to be moronic.  I hated Kovy being re-signed (I thought Lou should've just let him walk), and I thought Parise's contract was nuts.      

Dude if you don't like my response to your comments... why not try NOT replying to EVERY SINGLE ONE OF MY POSTS that you don't agree with. That'd be great.

Edited by SterioDesign

42 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I am shocked... SHOCKED.... that someone made this about Parise again. 

:lol: 

It's like some people have already said though... this thread is getting more attention now because it's almost better to talk about and debate than our product on the ice at the moment.  We're all still going to watch all of the games until the end of the season, I assume (at least I will), but on days off and in between gamedays instead of talk about the playoffs, potential matchups, guys healing from injuries, etc, we get crap like this, because there's nothing else to talk about while our team competes for the bottom.  Sad, but true.  We haven't been used to this or had to deal with it since the late 80s very early 90s, so we're obviously not good at it :P

Edited by NJDfan1711

3 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

:lol: 

It's like some people have already said though... this thread is getting more attention now because it's almost better to talk about and debate than our product on the ice at the moment.  We're all still going to watch all of the games until the end of the season, I assume (at least I will), but on days off and in between gamedays instead of talk about the playoffs, potential matchups, guys healing from injuries, etc, we get crap like this, because there's nothing else to talk about while our team competes for the bottom.  Sad, but true.  We haven't been used to this or had to deal with it since the late 80s very early 90s, so we're obviously not good at it :P

I wanted to kill this thread before it started.  :horse:  
I said something to the effect of a quitter doesn't deserve this attention.

1 hour ago, RizzMB30 said:

I wanted to kill this thread before it started.  :horse:  
I said something to the effect of a quitter doesn't deserve this attention.

When a dude once regarded as among the best in the league walks out in his contract, and then rumor gas it he wants to return, it obviously deserves our attention as fans. 

When the thread goes on for 7 pages, obviously opinions differ on the topic and there's a lot to discuss. That's the entire purpose of a message board. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, njdevsftw said:

It's so weird how all these people hang out on messageboards, but then get superpissed when people actually discuss something.

And at least this isn't really spilling into multiple threads...I could understand people having a gripe about that.  But most of the Kovy talk/debate has stayed in here, as it should. 

On Saturday, February 27, 2016 at 1:46 AM, Martyisth3b3st said:

I can't recall anyone besides Elias saying anything negative about Kovy, nor do I remember Lemaire giving Kovy any sort of special treatment. Is this just Kovy hate or do you have some sort of story you can point me towards?

Offensively, yeah. Best ever? Marty, Nieds, and Stevens (and their 3 Stanley cups) makes this a silly comment.

Not talking about goalie play but Nieds yeah okay Ill give you that, Stevens? Nah Kovy had better vision and toucb with a puck

21 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

It always boggles my mind when people say "why are we even having this discussion?!" On a discussion forum.

I guess there's a difference between talking about Kovy when the thread is about him possibly returning, and once again bringing up not re-signing/getting a return for Parise.  

So far as how teammates felt about Kovy, I'm sure the opinions changed once he quit on the team, but while he was here I know that he and Marty were on good terms.  So far as the comments from Elias, I kind of get the sense that Czech players have a tendency to be a little bit more outspoken about things.