Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
RSC

Kovalchuk removed from SKA after 1 Playoff Game

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

im with you here. Buddy was a good team player, he fought for us and all. Everyone was high on him.... until he left... same happened with Zach. He was a cadillac player... until he left... 

Good lord, could you leave any more details out, or just flat-out get them wrong? 

No one was opposed to them staying, they were opposed to the terms of their contracts more than anything else, especially the length of each one...for obvious reasons, I think if there was a way to choose, most Devils fans would've preferred Zach get the big money under the old CBA; that being said, there were legit concerns as to how he would hold up physically as he aged...which turned out to be a legit concern as he has missed a fair number of games in each of the past three years (15, 8, and 11 so far this season.  He was an Iron Man for the Devils with the exception of 2010-11). 

"Buddy" really fought hard for the Devils when he had to be dragged back from Russia and subsequently "retired" just to get out of having play for them any longer, a whopping three seasons into a 15-year contract.  The only thing Kovy seems to fight for these days is to get out of contracts when he doesn't feel like playing under them anymore.   

Not everyone was "high" on Kovy (his first full season with the Devils was tough to watch, especially the first half, though he clearly showed flashes of what we were hoping to see in the second half of that season).  Many Devils fans did very much like the player he became in 2012 and his desire to try to improve his overall game, as has been chronicled and detailed many times, but when he no longer wanted to be here, that player was pretty much dead.  We're now coming up on three seasons since he's left, and in those three seasons he's been a pretty good player in a secondary league he should be absolutely tearing up...were we supposed to remain "high" on him all this time since he left?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Blown01NJ said:

When he left I was pissed, but a lot of posts here and on TGs blog talking about what a bad guy Kovalchuk is. Remember the swarm it up shirts? The 'this is team' stuff? By most accounts he seemed like a solid locker room guy. I don't buy all the 'locker room cancer' stuff. 

Im not saying he should be brought back for sure, but I do know that many of my best Devils memories and moments in the last 5 years involved him. Nobody was more exciting. I haven't jumped off my couch in excitement since those days. Plus I spent $300 or whatever on an authentic jersey when he signed the big deal. 

I don't necessarily think that he was a cancer in the room, but he LIED to all of us by signing on the dotted line and then "retiring" a year or two later, he lied to the fans, he lied to management, and he lied to his teammates.  Now that U.S. sanctions are really fvcking Russia up and it's looking like he's not going to get paid, these rumors start.  It's highly coincidental, you have to at least admit.

I highly doubt we'll see the same Kovalchuk.  

Kovy-lovers:  Please explain why Kovalchuk is so exciting when he's not exactly tearing up an inferior league AND on a bigger/wider sheet of ice.  Please explain why he has to have 1st line minutes AND playing double shifts on the powerplay in order to score even as much as he did.  I'm not doubting Kovalchuk's skills which are high end, I'm doubting his effectiveness when playing in a team setting (ala Maxim Afinogenov).  The numbers don't lie, people will.  Please tell me "he has heart" or something so I can laugh at you.  

I don't understand the nostalgia for Kovalchuk.  You guys on here sometimes talk about him like he was here for a long as Marty.  He lied to you, he lied to me, and he hurt the team with his departure, no doubt, but he still HURT the team.  "This is team"??? More like, "This is bullsh!t".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

Kovy-lovers:  Please explain why Kovalchuk is so exciting when he's not exactly tearing up an inferior league AND on a bigger/wider sheet of ice.  Please explain why he has to have 1st line minutes AND playing double shifts on the powerplay in order to score even as much as he did.  I'm not doubting Kovalchuk's skills which are high end, I'm doubting his effectiveness when playing in a team setting (ala Maxim Afinogenov).  The numbers don't lie, people will.  Please tell me "he has heart" or something so I can laugh at you.  
 

I'm far from a Kovy lover, but the reason I'd give him another shot is simple. Who else do we have? Who would get be taking minutes away from? Our offense is in the toilet, we gave probably 4 forwards that wouldn't make any other team in the league. If he's got half if west he had when he left, he'd be the best player on the ice. 

And yes, thats a big if. But what else are we doing? Give him a look. 

Edited by mfitz804

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

I don't necessarily think that he was a cancer in the room, but he LIED to all of us by signing on the dotted line and then "retiring" a year or two later, he lied to the fans, he lied to management, and he lied to his teammates.  Now that U.S. sanctions are really fvcking Russia up and it's looking like he's not going to get paid, these rumors start.  It's highly coincidental, you have to at least admit.

I highly doubt we'll see the same Kovalchuk.  

Kovy-lovers:  Please explain why Kovalchuk is so exciting when he's not exactly tearing up an inferior league AND on a bigger/wider sheet of ice.  Please explain why he has to have 1st line minutes AND playing double shifts on the powerplay in order to score even as much as he did.  I'm not doubting Kovalchuk's skills which are high end, I'm doubting his effectiveness when playing in a team setting (ala Maxim Afinogenov).  The numbers don't lie, people will.  Please tell me "he has heart" or something so I can laugh at you.  

I don't understand the nostalgia for Kovalchuk.  You guys on here sometimes talk about him like he was here for a long as Marty.  He lied to you, he lied to me, and he hurt the team with his departure, no doubt, but he still HURT the team.  "This is team"??? More like, "This is bullsh!t".

Lulz?

 

He lied to us? Grow up. Hes a human with human issues. You think he signed the contract with the plan to break it? How exactly did he lie? He left to go home and to make more money after being wooed by the KHL while our a$$hole league was locked out.

 

"waaa he lied"

 

Stupid.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I'm far from a Kovy lover, but the reason I'd give him another shot is simple. Who else do we have? Who would get be taking minutes away from? Our offense is in the toilet, we gave probably 4 forwards that wouldn't make any other team in the league. If he's got half if west he had when he left, he'd be the best player on the ice. 

And yes, thats a big if. But what else are we doing? Give him a look. 

So your solution is to take away ice-time from possible young stars who are giving their best effort to earn a place to give it to a guy who can no longer be considered the same player he was?  You're right, we don't have much, but as many other have stated previously, we're currently re-building our forward corps and if you think a half-Kovy is going to magically "poof" us into the playoffs, I don't think that will happen.  We need to give our young forwards the ice-time in order to determine whether or not that have a future here.  Do Boucher, Blandisi, Kalinin have a real future here in a top 6 role?  We don't know that yet and it's still early for 2 of those 3. 
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

So your solution is to take away ice-time from possible young stars who are giving their best effort to earn a place to give it to a guy who can no longer be considered the same player he was?  You're right, we don't have much, but as many other have stated previously, we're currently re-building our forward corps and if you think a half-Kovy is going to magically "poof" us into the playoffs, I don't think that will happen.  We need to give our young forwards the ice-time in order to determine whether or not that have a future here.  Do Boucher, Blandisi, Kalinin have a real future here in a top 6 role?  We don't know that yet and it's still early for 2 of those 3. 
 

No but he could have the spot of Tootoo, Farnham, or Gionta. Not saying you'd play him on the 4th line but there's plenty of guys to slide down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Blown01NJ said:

Lulz?

 

He lied to us? Grow up. Hes a human with human issues. You think he signed the contract with the plan to break it? How exactly did he lie? He left to go home and to make more money after being wooed by the KHL while our a$$hole league was locked out.

 

"waaa he lied"

 

Stupid.

It doesn't matter what his plans were.  He signed a deal for 15 years!  I'd hate to deal with you in a business setting if you think that a contract can be ripped up whenever you so chose.  

He signed a 15 year deal, prompting fans to go out and buy Kovalchuk jerseys and apparel who were under the assumption he would be here a long time.  Are you saying these fans weren't lied to?  

I never once said he planned to break it.  You're putting words in my mouth.  It doesn't matter if he planed to or not.  He broke it and he's a quitter.

He's a human?  According to you he can do no wrong.  Name one other NHL player that did what he did.  Don't worry I'll wait.  

Let me rephrase it, and just try to answer with a yes or no answer.  Are Kovalchuk's actions considered honorable to you?  

If yes, you have weird sense of honor.  If no, then he lied. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still think he's a jerkoff. But if he's a jerkoff who can still score, I'd tolerate a little of that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I still think he's a jerkoff. But if he's a jerkoff who can still score, I'd tolerate a little of that. 

Fair enough.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sold my Kovalchuk jersey on eBay within an hour of his "retirement". I don't like how it all went down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Blown01NJ said:

Lulz?

 

He lied to us? Grow up. Hes a human with human issues. You think he signed the contract with the plan to break it? How exactly did he lie? He left to go home and to make more money after being wooed by the KHL while our a$$hole league was locked out.

 

"waaa he lied"

 

Stupid.

By the way.  I didn't have to resort to name-calling to get my point across and you call me childish? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Good lord, could you leave any more details out, or just flat-out get them wrong? 

No one was opposed to them staying, they were opposed to the terms of their contracts more than anything else, especially the length of each one...for obvious reasons, I think if there was a way to choose, most Devils fans would've preferred Zach get the big money under the old CBA; that being said, there were legit concerns as to how he would hold up physically as he aged...which turned out to be a legit concern as he has missed a fair number of games in each of the past three years (15, 8, and 11 so far this season.  He was an Iron Man for the Devils with the exception of 2010-11). 

"Buddy" really fought hard for the Devils when he had to be dragged back from Russia and subsequently "retired" just to get out of having play for them any longer, a whopping three seasons into a 15-year contract.  The only thing Kovy seems to fight for these days is to get out of contracts when he doesn't feel like playing under them anymore.   

Not everyone was "high" on Kovy (his first full season with the Devils was tough to watch, especially the first half, though he clearly showed flashes of what we were hoping to see in the second half of that season).  Many Devils fans did very much like the player he became in 2012 and his desire to try to improve his overall game, as has been chronicled and detailed many times, but when he no longer wanted to be here, that player was pretty much dead.  We're now coming up on three seasons since he's left, and in those three seasons he's been a pretty good player in a secondary league he should be absolutely tearing up...were we supposed to remain "high" on him all this time since he left?   

Well you're wrong. Sure maybe what i addressed wasn't "your" opinion... doesn't make what i said wrong. The world doesn't revolve around you and I based my post on stuff that i indeed read in here. And while most people indeed were against the contract. Others were fine with his play, wanted him to stay long term and only once he left that he was a ghost in playoffs, he was going to be done within 3 years, he had no shot, couldnt score 10 feet outside of the net, all stuff that never came out of their mouth until he left. Then Kovy played the whole playoffs with a bad back and "he was a beast" for doing that. Yet he leaves and 

There WAS people saying they'd rather have Kovy long term over Zach also. There was MANY people people saying he was deserving of the Conn Smyth and that he carried out team on his back and that he should be captain etc etc their opinion on Zach and Kovy changed at the moment they left. Not 6 months after or 3 years after. 

And Kovy left the NHL after a bullsh!t lockout filled with greedy owners costing him money while he was playing in his country with owner promising him the moon while he was there. Tell me honestly you would have done things differently. He's a hero for that in his country.

I never said Kovy is still the player he was or anything. All im saying is that many fans took off their blinders at the second he was gone. If that wasnt you well good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't believe how much action this thread is still getting. If there was a beat a dead horse section this thread would belong there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

I can't believe how much action this thread is still getting. If there was a beat a dead horse section this thread would belong there.

Heh heh, you're not wrong.  I think it has more to do with the current state of the Devils more than anything else.  If this team hadn't fallen off a cliff and out of the wild-card hunt and looked so brutal in doing it, if Cammalleri had returned to the lineup and produced, there would've been more "The hell with Kovy, who needs him?" posts.  But when your team is an also-ran (again) and there's not all that much to get excited about through the end of the year, this is the kind of thing that gets extra attention (and will likely continue to get hotly debated).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, RizzMB30 said:

So your solution is to take away ice-time from possible young stars who are giving their best effort to earn a place to give it to a guy who can no longer be considered the same player he was?  You're right, we don't have much, but as many other have stated previously, we're currently re-building our forward corps and if you think a half-Kovy is going to magically "poof" us into the playoffs, I don't think that will happen.  We need to give our young forwards the ice-time in order to determine whether or not that have a future here.  Do Boucher, Blandisi, Kalinin have a real future here in a top 6 role?  We don't know that yet and it's still early for 2 of those 3. 
 

Winner by Knock out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Well you're wrong. Sure maybe what i addressed wasn't "your" opinion... doesn't make what i said wrong. The world doesn't revolve around you and I based my post on stuff that i indeed read in here. And while most people indeed were against the contract. Others were fine with his play, wanted him to stay long term and only once he left that he was a ghost in playoffs, he was going to be done within 3 years, he had no shot, couldnt score 10 feet outside of the net, all stuff that never came out of their mouth until he left. Then Kovy played the whole playoffs with a bad back and "he was a beast" for doing that. Yet he leaves and 

There WAS people saying they'd rather have Kovy long term over Zach also. There was MANY people people saying he was deserving of the Conn Smyth and that he carried out team on his back and that he should be captain etc etc their opinion on Zach and Kovy changed at the moment they left. Not 6 months after or 3 years after. 

And Kovy left the NHL after a bullsh!t lockout filled with greedy owners costing him money while he was playing in his country with owner promising him the moon while he was there. Tell me honestly you would have done things differently. He's a hero for that in his country.

I never said Kovy is still the player he was or anything. All im saying is that many fans took off their blinders at the second he was gone. If that wasnt you well good. 

The bolded:  don't say things like that, just makes you look very immature for your age, not to mention it's completely off-base.  But when you're doing the black-and-white thing, you do tend to leave out a lot of shades of gray.

Zach's walk year was kind of a mixed bag, performance-wise (slow start, looked more like the old Zach as the season went on, then a bit uneven in the playoffs), but he was homegrown and likable and still pretty young.  I think Kovy has always been seen as more of a merc by many:  forced his way out of Atlanta, re-signed with the Devils mostly because it didn't seem like the Kings (or anyone else) wanted in at a mega-bucks level.  I'll give you that we did start to see a popularity shift over the course of 2012...part of it due to performance (Kovy was clearly the more dynamic player that year), part of it was due to Kovy seeming like he was going to be all-in as a Devil for the next decade-plus and was becoming the face of the Devils (I pointed that out at the time).  And yeah, Kovy did fight (sometimes quite literally) in 2012, and was sometimes beastly on top of it.  But what he did do to the Devils was still pretty crappy...he knew what the Devils sacrificed to keep him.  Some will give him a pass for having a change of heart, and like I've always maintained, I'd rather have no Kovy than a miserable one making some serious coin, so on that count it was impossible to be upset about him leaving (for me at least).  I still think my overall assessment of his Devils tenure is pretty accurate...overall the results were definitely mixed.  And as we've seen with Kovy now, multiple times, his desire to fight for his team and be a true team-first guy comes and goes.  At the very least, he's now impossible to depend on long-term (or even short-term)...and as his physical skills decline, it's going to be a lot harder for people to find ways to give him passes on some of the Me-Me-Me crap he pulls.     

At 10+ years for their contracts, there were concerns for both players:  how long could Zach hold up physically playing his kind of game, and could Kovy still be useful in other aspects of his game if he was no longer a lock to score 35+ goals or so?  I would've happily taken both of them on 6-8 year deals and dealt with the 2 or 3 potentially meh years at the end of those contracts.  But unfortunately lunacy reigned supreme at the time due to an incredibly enabling CBA...GMs and owners can never be trusted not to be moronic.  I hated Kovy being re-signed (I thought Lou should've just let him walk), and I thought Parise's contract was nuts.      

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The bolded:  don't say things like that, just makes you look very immature for your age, not to mention it's completely off-base.  But when you're doing the black-and-white thing, you do tend to leave out a lot of shades of gray.

Zach's walk year was kind of a mixed bag, performance-wise (slow start, looked more like the old Zach as the season went on, then a bit uneven in the playoffs), but he was homegrown and likable and still pretty young.  I think Kovy has always been seen as more of a merc by many:  forced his way out of Atlanta, re-signed with the Devils mostly because it didn't seem like the Kings (or anyone else) wanted in at a mega-bucks level.  I'll give you that we did start to see a popularity shift over the course of 2012...part of it due to performance (Kovy was clearly the more dynamic player that year), part of it was due to Kovy seeming like he was going to be all-in as a Devil for the next decade-plus and was becoming the face of the Devils (I pointed that out at the time).  And yeah, Kovy did fight (sometimes quite literally) in 2012, and was sometimes beastly on top of it.  But what he did do to the Devils was still pretty crappy...he knew what the Devils sacrificed to keep him.  Some will give him a pass for having a change of heart, and like I've always maintained, I'd rather have no Kovy than a miserable one making some serious coin, so on that count it was impossible to be upset about him leaving (for me at least).  I still think my overall assessment of his Devils tenure is pretty accurate...overall the results were definitely mixed.  And as we've seen with Kovy now, multiple times, his desire to fight for his team and be a true team-first guy comes and goes.  At the very least, he's now impossible to depend on long-term (or even short-term)...and as his physical skills decline, it's going to be a lot harder for people to find ways to give him passes on some of the Me-Me-Me crap he pulls.     

At 10+ years for their contracts, there were concerns for both players:  how long could Zach hold up physically playing his kind of game, and could Kovy still be useful in other aspects of his game if he was no longer a lock to score 35+ goals or so?  I would've happily taken both of them on 6-8 year deals and dealt with the 2 or 3 potentially meh years at the end of those contracts.  But unfortunately lunacy reigned supreme at the time due to an incredibly enabling CBA...GMs and owners can never be trusted not to be moronic.  I hated Kovy being re-signed (I thought Lou should've just let him walk), and I thought Parise's contract was nuts.      

Dude if you don't like my response to your comments... why not try NOT replying to EVERY SINGLE ONE OF MY POSTS that you don't agree with. That'd be great.

Edited by SterioDesign

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I am shocked... SHOCKED.... that someone made this about Parise again. 

:lol: 

It's like some people have already said though... this thread is getting more attention now because it's almost better to talk about and debate than our product on the ice at the moment.  We're all still going to watch all of the games until the end of the season, I assume (at least I will), but on days off and in between gamedays instead of talk about the playoffs, potential matchups, guys healing from injuries, etc, we get crap like this, because there's nothing else to talk about while our team competes for the bottom.  Sad, but true.  We haven't been used to this or had to deal with it since the late 80s very early 90s, so we're obviously not good at it :P

Edited by NJDfan1711

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

:lol: 

It's like some people have already said though... this thread is getting more attention now because it's almost better to talk about and debate than our product on the ice at the moment.  We're all still going to watch all of the games until the end of the season, I assume (at least I will), but on days off and in between gamedays instead of talk about the playoffs, potential matchups, guys healing from injuries, etc, we get crap like this, because there's nothing else to talk about while our team competes for the bottom.  Sad, but true.  We haven't been used to this or had to deal with it since the late 80s very early 90s, so we're obviously not good at it :P

I wanted to kill this thread before it started.  :horse:  
I said something to the effect of a quitter doesn't deserve this attention.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RizzMB30 said:

I wanted to kill this thread before it started.  :horse:  
I said something to the effect of a quitter doesn't deserve this attention.

When a dude once regarded as among the best in the league walks out in his contract, and then rumor gas it he wants to return, it obviously deserves our attention as fans. 

When the thread goes on for 7 pages, obviously opinions differ on the topic and there's a lot to discuss. That's the entire purpose of a message board. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's so weird how all these people hang out on messageboards, but then get superpissed when people actually discuss something.

I miss Kovy cuz he's hellafun to watch. More then I can say for most our players these days.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.