2016 NHL Trade Deadline Thread

Derlique

im surprise we don't see this happening more often

i mean i could see a GM sitting with a ufa saying "listen, we really want to have you hear long term. We're willing to give you X amount through X amount of years... we have a long term plan here but we're not gonna go anywhere this season so we could trade you for assets to a contender, we'd get assets for you and then next summer we can have you and the assets together. Boom." 

Not saying it would work but it wouldnt hurt to try haha

With Cam being out for the rest of the regular season (in all likelihood), our playoff chances are more or less shot.

Need to sell off pieces for picks.  Or, crossing my fingers, make a move for a young forward.  Yakupov, Drouin, maybe Nichushkin in Dallas.  

I have faith in Shero - actually pretty excited for Tuesday.  I think we'll see some significant movement.

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Jesus Hawks calm the fvck down.

I know right?  First the Ladd trade, and adding two more forwards?  They are going for two in a row.  

Scott Stevens said on TSN or some channel that they should be looking to add a defensemen if they're serious, so we might see another.  I'm not sure if I'd be set with van Riemsdyk and Daley.

10 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Severson and a first? Damn that's silly, and you write a blog. 

It's called market value. Severson has been awful. And you have a surplus of D including Santini coming. Drouin is expected to be a big scorer. You expect to give up nothing of value for a 2nd overall pick. Stempniak and Merrill. Tampa would laugh at Shero.

10 hours ago, Daniel said:

My guess is that Tampa would trade Drouin for Severson straight-up, or close to that.  I base it on the reports that Tampa asked for Dumba and Ceci and got rejected both times.  I only see the price for Drouin declining since then.   

They don't have to trade him now. My guess is they'll wait till the draft because teams will probably low ball Yzerman. 

19 hours ago, Triumph said:

That's the point though - they have to pay them to come back.  They're not likely to win them over on a sweetheart deal after trading them.  The guy traded at the deadline far more often re-signs with the team that dealt for him.  Kovalchuk, Stafford, Quincey, Gaustad, Jagr - this really isn't that uncommon because those are 5 names I just remembered, I'm sure there's a lot more.  

There's just no way I would invest 3 years in Schlemko.  I like Schlemko a ton.  But you can find values like that around the league if you look - signing him to a long-term deal defeats the whole purpose of the enterprise which is to find undervalued players and use up that value.  The Devils have parlayed a guy who was on waivers twice last year and who went into September without an NHL contract into a guy who is probably worth a 3rd round pick in trade.  That's big, and I think they can do it again next year.

Steadevils:  I would trade Schlemko for a 3rd round pick.  Would trade Stempniak for a 2nd and something minor.  I am not sure either guy will return that in trade but if they returned less I'd hang on them.  I'd much rather have Stempniak back than Schlemko because even though Stempniak will not be this good again next year the Devils are still very hard up for right wings.

I'm finally coming around to accepting this and thinking along these lines. Shero's moves this offseason were Palmieri, Stempniak, Schlemko, and Tlusty. He hit 3 out of 4, and those 3 were a resounding success. 

Who's to say he doesn't continue to have a good eye each offseason on the undervalued free agent or cheap trade? Who's to say our analytics department isn't doing their job on this (and maybe did their job on those very signings)? If they could hit 3 out of 4 to be very good signings, I trust them to do it again, or at least I trust their eye in plugging whatever holes come up on a season-by-season basis til we solidify our young core.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

I'm finally coming around to accepting this and thinking along these lines. Shero's moves this offseason were Palmieri, Stempniak, Schlemko, and Tlusty. He hit 3 out of 4, and those 3 were a resounding success. 

Who's to say he doesn't continue to have a good eye each offseason on the undervalued free agent or cheap trade? Who's to say our analytics department isn't doing their job on this (and maybe did their job on those very signings)? If they could hit 3 out of 4 to be very good signings, I trust them to do it again, or at least I trust their eye in plugging whatever holes come up on a season-by-season basis til we solidify our young core.

Don't forget John Moore

28 minutes ago, roomtemp said:

Don't forget John Moore

It's a little more 'debatable' how much of a success John Moore has been, really he's been awful since his injury and only his three-year contract and the staff's infatuation with him keeps him from being benched.  Last night he looked like Mark Fayne getting coned against the Caps in his rookie year type bad and Fayne didn't play 250 NHL games by that point.

Edited by NJDevs4978

31 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I usually just let Derek post my stuff but I'll put my deadline thoughts post here:

http://newyorkpuck.com/2016/02/27/another-depressing-trade-deadline/

Agree with much of the article...I'm kind of prepared for not much happening...the deadwood is not likely to get moved (but at least we shouldn't have to endure them for much longer).  I'm definitely in the "Move Stemp and Move Schlem" camp as long as the returns aren't insulting.  

It's really a shame that Elias couldn't have come back and put in a few solid weeks...though I'm only saying that from a "see what you could get for him" standpoint.  Hope Shero finds a way to surprise a little, but if he can't, I'm not going to kill him for it.  

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

It's a little more 'debatable' how much of a success John Moore has been, really he's been awful since his injury and only his three-year contract and the staff's infatuation with him keeps him from being benched.  Last night he looked like Mark Fayne getting coned against the Caps in his rookie year type bad and Fayne didn't play 250 NHL games by that point.

I didn't say John Moore was a success or failure but he was a move Shero made.

San Jose closing in on a deal for James Riemer.  

I really don't understand what they are doing.  It would seem that the Thornton/Marleau cup window closed a few years ago and it seemed like they understood that when they announced they were rebuilding...and then they didn't.   Now it seems like they're going all in this year trading their 1st for Jones and overpaying with (2) 2nd on that deadline deal for Polak and Spaling.  Now they're going for goalie depth?   Hopefully they didn't pay much.