Jump to content

2016 NHL Trade Deadline Thread


Derlique
 Share

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

To be fair, we're playing Tampa tomorrow... Those scouts were probably just advance scouting for the game.

It's probably that but it seems overkill lol If im their scout im like... "why do you want me to fly to that game? look at that roster... nothing to see there, we just got to beat schneider twice and were golden"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wasn't a fan of the idea of pawning off Schlemko and Stempniak for whatever we could get just because we're in a "rebuild" but looking at the prices San Jose and Chicago have  just paid for deadline help, I'm starting to rethink that.   If this starts an arms race, Shero needs to get in as a seller.  

Edited by Lateralous
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

To be fair, we're playing Tampa tomorrow... Those scouts were probably just advance scouting for the game.

It was Tampa's AGM, which means a lot more than a scout.  Although Columbus is also out of it, so it's entirely possible they weren't looking at Devils players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

TG mentioned that Nashville sent their assistant GM to watch us. Give Shero has a history with the Preds that could be interesting. 

It feels like a shame to become sellers at the deadline. This group has been really fun to watch (outside last night). Feels like they deserve to see out the season as a unit really.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Triumph said:

It was Tampa's AGM, which means a lot more than a scout.  Although Columbus is also out of it, so it's entirely possible they weren't looking at Devils players.

It was Verbeek,. who has a rich history of putting in time as a talent evaluator and dealing with player personnel.  If TB wanted to send a game scout or advance scout they would have sent somebody else.

Not that I think we are getting Drouin, but it potentially validates Friedman's mention that we are a dark horse in the Drouin conversations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Going to be really interesting to see what the Devils get for Stempniak. I am almost expecting a 1st rounder now after the Ladd trade. That would be phenomenal as it would give me something to root for in the playoffs (team X losing in the 1st round to bump up that first rounder). It would be a huge mistake to not move Stempniak. This is the peak of his value and to think he isn't replaceable by another FA next year is silly (not to mention the possibility we could be "replacing" him by resigning him). I think a lot of fulltime NHLers can score ~20 given top line minutes over 82 games.

Edited by Steadevils
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Steadevils said:

Going to be really interesting to see what the Devils get for Stempniak. I am almost expecting a 1st rounder now after the Ladd trade. That would be phenomenal as it would give me something to root for in the playoffs (team X losing in the 1st round to bump up that first rounder). It would be a huge mistake to not move Stempniak. This is the peak of his value and to think he isn't replaceable by another FA next year is silly (not to mention the possibility we could be "replacing" him by resigning him). I think a lot of fulltime NHLers can score ~20 given top line minutes over 82 games.

Would much rather prefer that Stempniak is part of package deal for Drouin which means the Devils would probably not have to trade Severson.  I don't think it's implausible, based on Yzerman's recent statements that seem to suggest that they're all in.  And you can make the case that Dano, who has had a better post-draft career than Drouin and who also plays center, wasn't enough on his own to get a rental like Ladd, not to mention that Stempniak is having a better year than Ladd.  Had there really been attractive offers for Drouin I think a deal would have been made by now.

Coming out of the deadline with basically a late first rounder would be a bit disappointing.  It's basically a 50/50 shot that whoever you draft turns out to be any good, and it's three years away, unless the idea is to trade that pick for a player or to move up later on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Would much rather prefer that Stempniak is part of package deal for Drouin which means the Devils would probably not have to trade Severson.  I don't think it's implausible, based on Yzerman's recent statements that seem to suggest that they're all in.  And you can make the case that Dano, who has had a better post-draft career than Drouin and who also plays center, wasn't enough on his own to get a rental like Ladd, not to mention that Stempniak is having a better year than Ladd.  Had there really been attractive offers for Drouin I think a deal would have been made by now.

Coming out of the deadline with basically a late first rounder would be a bit disappointing.  It's basically a 50/50 shot that whoever you draft turns out to be any good, and it's three years away, unless the idea is to trade that pick for a player or to move up later on. 

I would definitely prefer Drouin (or another high ceiling prospect) over a first rounder, but I don't think Stempniak gets that done. I think teams will factor in that Stempniak is putting up these career outlier numbers while playing top line and power play minutes. Hope you are right. It seems like this might be a great year to be a seller.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You're not getting Drouin for a Stempniak rental.  Come on folks.

Stempniak is a guy who was on the verge of not having a job a few months ago.  He's proven he can still play but if we are lucky we get a 2nd rounder for him and maybe a B prospect if there's teams willing to gamble and bid.  He's a guy who has put up numbers playing key minutes with other playmakers.  On a playoff team he is at most a 3rd liner and I don't see him continuing this kind of production there.  He's a depth addition.  Ladd is a prime addition and a big go for it move for the Blackhawks. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Stempniak + Merrill + 2016 2nd for Drouin + Carle (no retention)

We essentially trade two quality roster players, a mid-to-early 2nd, and huge cap relief for an unproven player with massive upside.

Normally I wouldn't want to touch a contract like that of Carle, but the Devils have cap space and owners with deep pockets.

I'm just not comfortable shipping out Severson, who's proven he has what it takes to play in the NHL, for a guy who has yet to prove anything.

Edited by Devilsfan118
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It just doesn't seem like the Lightning would go for that - you've got to give to get.  If the Devils want Drouin, they have to at least be prepared to part with a 1st round pick.  This is a 3rd overall pick who's looked quite good in his limited time in the NHL and he's cost-controlled for 5 more years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Devils shouldn't do anything regardless of the outcome of tonights game. Hold on to Schlemko as he can be a good piece to a winning team going forward. I'm not even so keen on trading Stempniak anymore since we have no other RW's other than Palmieri. If someone wants to cough up a 2nd for Stempniak I'd probably do it though.

Gelinas has very little value. If we can dump him for a 4th rounder I would.

Honestly if you look at our roster top to bottom there is very little other teams would want. Somebody may take a Tyler Kennedy but we're not getting anything back of value there.

I thought Elias may be going at the deadline this year but his career may be over. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

the notion of hanging onto schlemko and stempniak for the future continues to confuse me. They are both UFA.

trading them has very little affect on whether they're back next year. If shero wants them, he can tell them now, you've got x deal waiting when you're a UFA so don't sign before that with the team i'm trading you to unless they offer better.

i would absolutely trade both of them as long as you got a 2nd for each.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Trading them has a huge effect on whether or not they're here next year.  Loyalty is a two-way street - sending guys off and saying 'I've got a deal for you in the summer' isn't really going to win over a lot of players.  They were here on 1 year deals and they'll be looking for more than that with their next contract and they've had the kind of season where they've earned that.  The GM has already treated you like charnel once by shipping you out, what's to stop that from happening again?  A no-trade?   Neither guy's earned it or is likely to get it.  No, I'd be very surprised if either guy was back here next year after being traded.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Trading them has a huge effect on whether or not they're here next year.  Loyalty is a two-way street - sending guys off and saying 'I've got a deal for you in the summer' isn't really going to win over a lot of players.  They were here on 1 year deals and they'll be looking for more than that with their next contract and they've had the kind of season where they've earned that.  The GM has already treated you like charnel once by shipping you out, what's to stop that from happening again?  A no-trade?   Neither guy's earned it or is likely to get it.  No, I'd be very surprised if either guy was back here next year after being traded.

Would you trade either of them? And, if so, what would you expect in return?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Trading them has a huge effect on whether or not they're here next year.  Loyalty is a two-way street - sending guys off and saying 'I've got a deal for you in the summer' isn't really going to win over a lot of players.  They were here on 1 year deals and they'll be looking for more than that with their next contract and they've had the kind of season where they've earned that.  The GM has already treated you like charnel once by shipping you out, what's to stop that from happening again?  A no-trade?   Neither guy's earned it or is likely to get it.  No, I'd be very surprised if either guy was back here next year after being traded.

 

if these guys liked NJ, and the devils want them back, they can pay them to come back. are you suggesting that a 2/7 deal for stempniak and a 3/9 deal for schlemko (just as examples) is accepted now but not in July when they're UFAs? (again, assuming that they liked NJ and those are acceptable deals).

they're not getting traded to edmonton. they're going to a playoff team.

more often than not, the guy traded at the deadline on an expiring deal does NOT resign with the team that dealt for him. off hand, i can only think of vermette and tkachuk back in the day who resigned with the team that traded them so that doesn't happen much either.

but where NJ is at, unless they land matthews next year and parlay that into attracting a UFA worth signing or nailing a trade, next year is going to be another battle like this year was. stempniak is a nice to have in that scenario. schlemko on the other hand - i would invest 3 years in him i think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.