GDT: (3/3) Your New Jersey Devils @ Smashville

Zubie#8

I wanted to personally make this GDT since I will be in Nashville for the game and for a Blake Shelton concert!  I wish I would be seeing Mike Cammalleri, Stempniak and the Devils battling for a playoff spot but this will still be a fun experience. Hopefully they win tomorrow!

LGD! :evil::evil::evil:

The only time I was in Nashville was in 1995...just after the Devils won their first Cup (my friend was moving to Arizona and we were driving cross-country to get there).  Actually went to the site of the future arena (it was pretty early on in construction) wearing the only Devils jersey that I owned at the time (white home replica, not personalized)...I remember thinking "For the love of God please tell me that there's no way the Devils will ever be playing HERE!"  More than a few locals asked about the jersey, saying "Is that the hockey team that might be coming here?"  So happy that never happened...

Enjoy the show and hopefully the game! 

Is it possible that we fall really hard in the standings ? 
Not that i roots for a massive tanking and i dunno if that will be possible with our new regime (we all know that Lou wouldn't let that happen) 

But as we are on a serious downfall ... Could this, realistically, bring us a really better pick at the draft ? Or it's "too late" and we will stay around our rank ? 

22 minutes ago, moustic said:

Not that i roots for a massive tanking and i dunno if that will be possible with our new regime (we all know that Lou wouldn't let that happen) 

But as we are on a serious downfall ... Could this, realistically, bring us a really better pick at the draft ? Or it's "too late" and we will stay around our rank ? 

The Devils have an absolutely BRUTAL schedule to close out the year. Look at our next six games.

Ottawa and Montreal can easily pass NJ, which puts them at 9th overall. Every bit helps with the new lottery system

35 minutes ago, moustic said:

It's likely we do. The Devils may win 3-4 games the rest of the way with the state of this roster right now

If the rest of the season is anything to go by, we'll probably play out of our minds and win a bunch of these games against all these good teams left in the schedule haha.. 

We somehow have beat most of the elite teams in the league up to this point (and have lost to all of the worst teams), so I wouldn't put it past them.

Edited by DJ Eco

I'm actually stupidly hopeful about this game and the upcoming road trips.  If we can pull off wins against West teams, which somehow we're able to do every once in a while which makes no sense, and then we manage to beat the Pens which counts for a lot more, we could still inch towards that last wildcard spot.  I know, I know, I'm in a fantasy land, but I would still rather see us compete to the very last second and come up short then to watch losing miserable hockey for a month and have a slightly better draft spot.  Even the highest picks go wrong sometimes, so jumping up a few spots isn't worth it in my opinion. 

In reality I doubt we win tonight because A) we're on the road, B) we have NO scoring, and C) the team is probably out of gas and optimism, but I still would like to see a W.

Go Devils.

19 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I'm actually stupidly hopeful about this game and the upcoming road trips.  If we can pull off wins against West teams, which somehow we're able to do every once in a while which makes no sense, and then we manage to beat the Pens which counts for a lot more, we could still inch towards that last wildcard spot.  I know, I know, I'm in a fantasy land, but I would still rather see us compete to the very last second and come up short then to watch losing miserable hockey for a month and have a slightly better draft spot.  Even the highest picks go wrong sometimes, so jumping up a few spots isn't worth it in my opinion. 

In reality I doubt we win tonight because A) we're on the road, B) we have NO scoring, and C) the team is probably out of gas and optimism, but I still would like to see a W.

Go Devils.

You are, but you aren't, because upper echelon playoff Cup contending teams are exactly the types of teams we've been able to play extremely hard against all season, it's a strange anomaly. 

Our last win was against the Rangers, who were in the middle of their hot streak. And before that was the Kings. It's mystifying really.

15 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

You are, but you aren't, because upper echelon playoff Cup contending teams are exactly the types of teams we've been able to play extremely hard against all season, it's a strange anomaly. 

Our last win was against the Rangers, who were in the middle of their hot streak. And before that was the Kings. It's mystifying really.

Yep, and I can remember last year I think we beat teams like the Ducks who were really good at the time.

Then again, we just lose to the Lightning, who are in the middle of a hot streak, and that loss was pretty lopsided and ugly.  So...who knows =/

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Go Devils.

I think the main problem with any playoff aspirations is that the Devils no longer have Stempniak and it seems like a 100% certainty that Cammalleri won't be back this season.  Looks like Cory is wearing down too, and he was really the only reason the Devils were able to stay relevant in the standings as long as they did.  It's too bad, it would be fun to see these guys pull an absolute miracle out their asses.  I think Stemp and a healthy Cam would've given them an outside shot at that. 

It wouldn't surprise me that much if they stabilized at some point and managed something approaching 50% of the remaining points available to them...but that won't get it done.  If Pittsburgh goes 10-10-0 or some other combo that gives them 20 points, the Devils would need 26 points to finish ahead of them...with 18 games left on their schedule (which is murderous down the stretch), they'd need to go 13-5-0 or something like that.  Obviously with every point beyond 20 that the Penguins accumulate, it only gets that much tougher.   

15 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

The rest of the season is now stress free. I root like bloody hell for them all game -- whether or not I get excited about them winning has no impact on them winning. And then, if they lose, I'm happy because of our draft stock. If they win, I'm happy because I'm a Devils fan. 

Pretty much my approach.  Trying to watch as many games with my daughter as possible...I want her to miss Devils hockey when it's gone, so that she starts to get excited about it for next season. 

Severson sitting again with Farnham. Smith-Pelly and Warsofsky in.

http://fireandice.northjersey.com/fire-ice-1.174987/smith-pelly-warsofsky-ready-for-devils-debuts-farnham-severson-to-sit-1.1522194

Also looks like Smith-Pelly has a bit of an embellishing problem as both him and Blandisi were each fined $2000 for embellishing.

http://fireandice.northjersey.com/fire-ice-1.174987/devils-joe-blandisi-and-devante-smith-pelly-fined-for-embellishment-1.1522189

I hope they play well down the final stretch.

I've given up on the playoffs, but the team doesn't deserve to look at the standings and see us pretty much where we were last year. It feels like too much work has gone into this season. 

Finishing on a high note would be awesome.

14 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

http://fireandice.northjersey.com/fire-ice-1.174987/smith-pelly-warsofsky-ready-for-devils-debuts-farnham-severson-to-sit-1.1522194

Also looks like Smith-Pelly has a bit of an embellishing problem as both him and Blandisi were each fined $2000 for embellishing.

http://fireandice.northjersey.com/fire-ice-1.174987/devils-joe-blandisi-and-devante-smith-pelly-fined-for-embellishment-1.1522189

I am sure Severson has to be disappointed in sitting again.  Hope he is able to straighten out his game.

29 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

I am starting to think Severson will be traded in the off season

It's become obvious that Severson is the Hynes whipping boy when he wants to get another defenseman in the lineup. Moore could literally shoot the puck in our net on purpose and not get scratched, but Severson breathes wrong and he gets the press box. It's beginning to piss me off.

Edited by MadDog2020