Grade 1 MCL sprain for Schneider

MadDog2020

Agree, no reason to play him.  None.  

Makes what Marty did for so many years (with his absurd durability) that much more special.  

Feel for Kink...he's going to be exposed here.  

Just an MCL strain? That's pretty good news. The MCL is capable if healing itself as long as it is not fully torn and full tears are pretty rare iirc. Shouldn't need any surgery and I believe recovery time for MCL is less than a month. As with any knee injury this can make MCL injuries in the future a little more likely but this is pretty much the best possible outcome for a knee injury. As someone who tore their ACL and meniscus and sprained the MCL, I would have sold my soul to have only had an MCL sprain.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WaffleFries said:

Just an MCL strain? That's pretty good news. The MCL is capable if healing itself as long as it is not fully torn and full tears are pretty rare iirc. Shouldn't need any surgery and I believe recovery time for MCL is less than a month. As with any knee injury this can make MCL injuries in the future a little more likely but this is pretty much the best possible outcome for a knee injury. As someone who tore their ACL and meniscus and sprained the MCL, I would have sold my soul to have only had an MCL sprain.

yup, good news! just rest it. rest greene too. no more 28 minute games

5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Sprain. Not strain. But yeah, definitely could've been worse.

This was the first thing that I thought of after seeing the way Schneider hurt himself...thank God it wasn't an ACL tear:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/richter-undergoes-surgery-1.261262

Really sucks for Cory, and I wish him well in recovery.

On the bright side (although I hate to use that kinda phrase when discussing an injury to one of our favorite players) if this injury had to happen at any point in the season, it sure did happen at the right time.

We've been trending downward the whole month of February. We can't blame the losses on either the Stempniak trade or Schneider injury, because they started long before that.

The good news is we can't blame our losses on lack of effort either. The personnel that will be here next season will mostly have no regrets going into that season. This will not have been a tank-by-design, just a tank by circumstance, one that I think the fans and the players can live with.

1 hour ago, hit the post said:

Think how sick we would be feeling if we were in the thick of a playoff spot and Cory went down. I agree the timing worked out in the teams favor this time .

And imagine if we kept Stempniak for this supposed/so-called playoff race, only to see this happen.

On 3/7/2016 at 8:06 PM, Devilsfan118 said:

What's the long-term recovery situation?

This won't be a nagging / reoccurring thing will it?

He is only 29 so he should heel just fine with no nagging problems. If it was a tear ill be a lot more concern. Just don't rush him and shut him down

Edited by fsu1852
  • Like 1

I find it funny that people think Cory's injury validated the trades. I guess it's good if you had doubts because you thought we might still wind up in playoff position, but I don't think that was ever true. The trades were made accordingly. 

Yeah, I think Shero had been watching and knew that there was a lot of smoke-and-mirrors going on with the what the Devils had accomplished before this 2-8-0 slide...I think he may have briefly considered keeping the band together, with Cam being the guy who would've been a pseudo-acquisition upon returning from his injury, but once he had his setback, I think Shero was done even thinking about 2016 being a year to try to make the playoffs. 

Still would've liked to have seen Schlemko dealt, but Shero still had a terrific deadline day that made sense, and I think Schlemko was a -15 at the deadline (now -21) and of course has a track record of not being terribly durable, so who knows what teams were willing to offer.  I give him the benefit of the doubt on that one. 

I just hope if Schneider feels like he can play again this year, that the Devils basically tell him no, that it's not about 2015-2016 anymore.  It's a short off-season in hockey...September will be here before we know it, and Cory seemed to be wearing down as of late...seven out of his last eight games saw him fail to stop 90% of the shots coming his way.  Anyone can slump of course, doesn't mean he was tired, but why push anything at this point?  The guy played his ass off for the Devils this season...let him rest. 

Also think Cory might be better off as a 57-62 game starter from here on out, instead of 65-70...which means Shero might have to upgrade from Kinkaid.  I think if you start asking for more than 15 starts from Kink, it's not going to be pretty.