2016 Miami Dolphins thread

Hi, I'm VALUE!

23 minutes ago, Hi, I'm VALUE! said:

Broncos match the offer sheet for CJ Anderson.  He returns to Denver on the 4/18 he signed with Miami.

Back in the running back market again.

Not that big a deal I guess, although CJ's ability to block seems to be an underrated quality.  Wonder if Arian Foster will be healthy.  Doubt that they'll draft one in the first round considering Gase's apparent belief in any competent RB will do.  

45 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

What about Chris Johnson for Miami? He was running out of steam before getting hurt last season but if they like Ajayi, maybe they bridge the gap to him with CJ2K like Arizona did with the Johnsons last season.

Honeslty, I forgot all about him.  He's be a nice bridge between Foster and the rest, and if he is used as a complimentary back instead of a feature back, then the "weardown" issues he dealt with last year shouldn't be an issue.  

And funny enough, he's in Miami for a visit today.

This, of course, assumes he's fully headled from his injury last year that ended his season (broken leg?).

Dolphins sign Andre Branch.  1/3, will pass-rush in sub packages.

Chris Johnson expected to decide between Miami and Arizona this week.  Miami gives him an open competition for playing time, but Arizona will win more.  Tough to see which he'll go for.

EDIT: Also, Matt Moore resigned.  2/3.5 with unknown guarantees. EDIT2: with 2.25 of the money guaranteed (!!!)  If the rumors of Miami drafting Connor Cook are accurate, that second year he may not be on the team.

Edited by Hi, I'm VALUE!

We signed Griff Whalen today, he'll compete for the 4th WR/PR/KR jobs. Moron Tannenbaum continues to utterly neglect the guard position, in what will likely be Tannehill's make or break season... Trying Bushrod at guard when he's NEVER played guard in his life? Hinting at possibly trotting that fvcking turd Dallas Thomas out there to get Tannehill destroyed AGAIN? That stupid trade with Philly? Tannenbaum is a clown. Gase is gonna have to be Bill Walsh to do anything with the crap roster Captain Dipsh!t is giving him. [emoji35]

Heard about this in the morning on Mike and Mike...well I guess we really will see if it was the coach or the QB (or both) in Miami this year.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article67400497.html

But when the Miami Dolphins quarterback says he’s “happy” and “excited,” it’s not just because defenses have stopped the abuse. It’s not because the pain from without has taken a pause.

Ryan Tannehill was also smiling because the obstructions from within his own organization have stopped.

Tannehill’s coaches are no longer abandoning him, setting him up for failure, or otherwise throwing him under proverbial buses. One teammate’s wife who called him a “bum” in the most public of forums is gone because the teammate, Brent Grimes, is gone.

Heard about this in the morning on Mike and Mike...well I guess we really will see if it was the coach or the QB (or both) in Miami this year.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article67400497.html

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article67400497.html#storylink=cpy

But when the Miami Dolphins quarterback says he’s “happy” and “excited,” it’s not just because defenses have stopped the abuse. It’s not because the pain from without has taken a pause.

Ryan Tannehill was also smiling because the obstructions from within his own organization have stopped.

Tannehill’s coaches are no longer abandoning him, setting him up for failure, or otherwise throwing him under proverbial buses. One teammate’s wife who called him a “bum” in the most public of forums is gone because the teammate, Brent Grimes, is gone.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article67400497.html#storylink=cpy  

Rad more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article67400497.html#storylink=cpy  

Tannehill has also spoken with Peyton too apparently, and said Peyton told him how awesome Gase is to work with. We'll see... It's all on Tannehill this season though- no more excuses. He has a coach who by all accounts is a 'QB whisperer', and is being given the freedom to run the offense... It's put up or shut up time.

43 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Tannehill has also spoken with Peyton too apparently, and said Peyton told him how awesome Gase is to work with. We'll see... It's all on Tannehill this season though- no more excuses. He has a coach who by all accounts is a 'QB whisperer', and is being given the freedom to run the offense... It's put up or shut up time.

No more excuses... until they come up with more excuses.  My guess is that this year it will be on the O-line or the running backs, but to be fair to Tannehill, it wouldn't be completely unjustified.

Fact is, there hasn't been a better realistic QB option for the past couple of years.  I'm pretty much indifferent about it all at this point.  Maybe the best thing for him and the team would be lower expectations. 

No more excuses... until they come up with more excuses.  My guess is that this year it will be on the O-line or the running backs, but to be fair to Tannehill, it wouldn't be completely unjustified.

Fact is, there hasn't been a better realistic QB option for the past couple of years.  I'm pretty much indifferent about it all at this point.  Maybe the best thing for him and the team would be lower expectations. 

I stopped making excuses for him last year, but if it's true that Philbin was as bad a coach as he appeared (and by all accounts, he was) and the offensive concepts that Lazor was running were as vanilla and college-level as people on the inside say they were, it's hard to say that wouldn't negatively effect any QB... Nonetheless, this is his make or break year with regards to whether he'll take a step forward and go to another level, or if he's hit his ceiling. I hope Gase can help get the best out of him.

• 3 weeks later...
Surprised no one's mentioned the Daniel Thomas signing yet. [emoji3]

That schedule is nuts.  3 of 4 openeing games are road games against playoff teams from last year (Week 4 is @Cincy).  

Getting to the bye at 4-3 would be a minor miracle.

I didn't mention the Thomas signing because I was actively trying to pretend it didn't happen. [emoji35] And yeah, the schedule is murderous. Unless Adam Gase is the second coming of Bill Walsh (and this is the Dolphins we're talking about, so we all know that isn't gonna happen), we're in for another long year. [emoji17]

Phins need to sign Norman and do it now.  I don't care what the price tag is.  They have a ton of cap space, and he's in his prime.  It also means that the Dolphins don't have to use their first rounder on a CB, who seem to have a higher bust/underwhelming rate than highly drafted quarterbacks. 

Phins need to sign Norman and do it now.  I don't care what the price tag is.  They have a ton of cap space, and he's in his prime.  It also means that the Dolphins don't have to use their first rounder on a CB, who seem to have a higher bust/underwhelming rate than highly drafted quarterbacks. 

They really don't have 'a ton' of cap space relative to signing Norman- the Fins have $19 mil and Norman wants 16 per. San Fran has $52 mil in space and is very interested from what I've read. We do have the advantage of there being no state income tax though, so that helps. I'm just leery about giving this guy elite corner money off of really one good year in a scheme that's known for helping guys succeed. Will Norman be as effective in our scheme? Just some things to think about...

26 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

They really don't have 'a ton' of cap space relative to signing Norman- the Fins have $19 mil and Norman wants 16 per. San Fran has $52 mil in space and is very interested from what I've read. We do have the advantage of there being no state income tax though, so that helps. I'm just leery about giving this guy elite corner money off of really one good year in a scheme that's known for helping guys succeed. Will Norman be as effective in our scheme? Just some things to think about...

I thought the Dolphins had more than $25 million in cap space.

My research shows Miami has 16 million total available right now, and you basically have to take 10 million off the price to ensure you can do league business over the course of the year.

In order to sign Norman, Miami probably has to lose one of its upper-end players.

If this free agency is not resolved before the end of the first round of the draft, and Miami gets a second corner in the draft, I full expect them to try to sign Normal and cut up to two of Cameron Wake, Earl Mitchell, and Byron Maxwell (post-June-1 cut).  Wake and Mitchell make the most sense - you can still get a pash rusher at spot 13, and Mitchell can be replaced in-house or through the later rounds of the draft.  It leaves Miami pretty high and dry for the rest of the year, so health will be essential, but it's possible, and good years from Williams, Norman, Alonso, and Maxwell will show some massive improvement on the defensive side of the ball.

I thought the Dolphins had more than $25 million in cap space.

Nope. $19.5 mil, per the NFLPA.

Bleacher Report is saying Miami is out on Norman.  He's apparently weighing a offer of 5 years and $15 million AAV, possibly from the Redskins and also possibly from the 49ers.

EDIT: Also, the NFL's 7 round mock is up, and if Miami drafts the bolded in the spot that they're projecting, I'll put my foot through my TV screen.

Round 1 (13): Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State
Round 2 (42): Eli Apple, CB, Ohio State
Round 3 (73): Roberto Aguayo, K, Florida State
Round 4 (107): Daniel Braverman, WR, Western Michigan
Round 5 (147): K.J. Dillon, S, West Virginia
Round 6 (186): Alex McCalister, DE, Florida
Round 7 (227): Montese Overton, OLB, East Carolina
Round 7 (231): Kivon Cartwright, TE, Colorado State

Edited by Hi, I'm VALUE!

So much this.  And here I came on to talk about the draft tonight and hope springing eternal.  

Miami's 1st round pick in mocks has been all over the place.  Eli Apple, Jack Conklin, Ezekial Elliot, Myles Jack - all of which would be fine picks IMO so long as they can step in and make a difference NOW.

I get the feeling that if Elliot makes it back to #8 (passing the Cowboys and Jaguars), that Miami has some kind of tacit agreement with Cleveland to swap picks so they can take Elliot.  There's been so much smoke all off-season about the Dolphins bringing in another running back that I can't see them not going for Elliot if he's available, and they're not going to be able to wait for him to come to them (along with the Cowboys, both the Giants and Bears could have the strong interest, and there is a way in which this draft breaks where Jacksonville picks Elliot despite all logic).

After the first two picks, this is shaping up to be a wild draft.