2016 Miami Dolphins thread

Hi, I'm VALUE!

Fins signed Arian Foster... I give him three practices before the inevitable season ending injury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Complete no downside signing. Like it, even if he never plays a down.

Complete no downside signing. Like it, even if he never plays a down.

Oh yeah no doubt, I have no issue with it whatsoever.... But this is the Dolphins, so he'll get hurt. Trust me though, I want very badly to be wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2016 at 0:25 PM, Hi, I'm VALUE! said:

Chris Culliver was recently released by the Washington Redskins, most likely due to medicals.

I'm not sure what state he's in - he tore both ACL and MCL in November - but as talent goes, he's got potential, is still only 27, and was likely playing through knee issues all last year.  Maybe he'll accept a 2 year deal with year 1 being a low-salary redshirt year and year 2 being a prove-it incentive-based deal?  He's not particularly big (6', 199 lbs per Rotoworld), but he's had experience in successful defensive alignments with San Francisco and could be a valuable depth piece at the worst.

I kind of felt similar about Matt Slauson, who was a competent guard before Chicago released him, but there's already two teams lined up to pay this man, so he may be out of Miami's price range.  

I came back to be a typical sports prognosticator and say I TOLD YOU SO I CAN SEE THE FUTURE LOL.  

No, seriously, the Dolphins signed Culliver to a 1/5-ish deal 3 months after I posted this.  Even if I am the blind squirrel, it feels good to find a nut once in a blue moon.

• 3 weeks later...
So much looking forward to this season.  Seattle is a tough opening place to play, but if you're legitimate you win some tough games.

I don't give us much of a shot up there, but I just wanna see them battle and at least keep it close. Don't get embarrassed.

Miami claimed Justin Hunter off waivers from Tennessee

Yeah saw that earlier- they cut Griff Whalen to make room for Hunter... Worth a shot, has more upside than Whalen and he's reunited with his old Tennessee WR's coach (Shawn Jefferson). Would've liked to have seen them claim Amaro, but Tennessee got him first.

Jace Amaro is a weird perplexing case. He had next rising star TE written all over him and had a serious case of the drops...missed a full season due to injuries. Really didnt show much YAC ability but his sample size is still tiny

I think we may have given up on him too early. 

Welp I've booked my flight to Miami for my annual pilgrimage to watch our beloved football team- going 10/23 vs Buffalo. This is the third time I've seen them play Buffalo, and they've lost the previous two (including that clusterfvck of a home opener last year). Here's hoping the third time is a charm lol.

First off, awesome on the trip to Miami.  I need to do it one of these years myself, just to see the ol' stadium once in my life.

As to this past week's game, I'm not sure which is worse from this week:

1) That I got my hopes up when I heard that Miami was up 10-6, only to have them deflated in the end, OR
2) That my wife said to me the second she heard that Miami went up 10-6 that they're going to lose anyway and I shouldn't get my hopes up.

I am encouraged that the defense played well - hopefully the concussion Williams sustained and the leg injury Mitchell sustained aren't too bad.  

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 1:14 PM, MadDog2020 said:

Welp I've booked my flight to Miami for my annual pilgrimage to watch our beloved football team- going 10/23 vs Buffalo. This is the third time I've seen them play Buffalo, and they've lost the previous two (including that clusterfvck of a home opener last year). Here's hoping the third time is a charm lol.

Full report on the full stadium experience when you get back.  From everything I've read, it's getting rave reviews.  Just not being in the blaring sun for the entire game has to be a massive improvement to the overall experience.  Me and my wife (who does NOT like being overheated in the slightest) looked like we'd been in a pool about midway through the first quarter of the 2014 season opener (the 33-20 Dolphin win over the Pats, the last season before the renovations).  I didn't think it was possible for humans to sweat that much. 

Hard to believe it's the same building that I went to just two years ago.  They really did a terrific job. 

On 9/6/2016 at 1:14 PM, MadDog2020 said:

I'm curious what you think of the new stadium. It looks really good and it's nice to see them finally put a semi dome over the heads of the fans so that they don't fry to a crisp. Shade really was a must.

It's amazing you look at some of the palaces being built and the Jets and Giants essentially play in the circa 1991 New Comiskey of football. Bland and uninspiring. Nothing architecturally impressive. And too big.

2 minutes ago, '7' said:

I'm curious what you think of the new stadium. It looks really good and it's nice to see them finally put a semi dome over the heads of the fans so that they don't fry to a crisp. Shade really was a must.

It's amazing you look at some of the palaces being built and the Jets and Giants essentially play in the circa 1991 New Comiskey of football. Bland and uninspiring. Nothing architecturally impressive. And too big.

I have yet to hear ANYONE...Giants fan OR Jets fans...have anything great to say about MetLife Stadium.  And yeah, it seems very blah all around.  I'm truly amazed what the Dolphins were able to do with Hard Rock...that's gotta be one of the best refurbs ever for a professional sports facility.  And having been there just a couple of seasons ago...man did it NEED the refresh.  I look at it and I can't think of anything that they could've done better.   

CR and 7, I will be sure to give everyone a report on the stadium. My cousin who I'm going to the Fins game with went to the 'Canes game last week and said it was like night and day- he really had great things to say about the atmosphere and the building itself. Looking at the before and after photos, you'd never know it's the same facility: acbce61bd3e9ba6c76fb2c5af514d39e.jpgCan't wait to check it out!

I have yet to hear ANYONE...Giants fan OR Jets fans...have anything great to say about MetLife Stadium.  And yeah, it seems very blah all around.  I'm truly amazed what the Dolphins were able to do with Hard Rock...that's gotta be one of the best refurbs ever for a professional sports facility.  And having been there just a couple of seasons ago...man did it NEED the refresh.  I look at it and I can't think of anything that they could've done better.   

I haven't been to a football game at Met Life, but I've seen a couple concerts there and it's one of the most antiseptic stadiums I've ever been in. It has no personality at all. I can understand why Jet and Giant fans hate it so much.

• Like 1

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

I haven't been to a football game at Met Life, but I've seen a couple concerts there and it's one of the most antiseptic stadiums I've ever been in. It has no personality at all. I can understand why Jet and Giant fans hate it so much.

That's exactly it.  MetLife just "is".  The most common criticism I hear is "Why did this cost so much money?"  I haven't been to that many NFL stadiums:  whatever they called the pro-reno Dolphins building (it was always Pro Player to me), original Giants Stadium, old Sullivan/Foxboro (that was awful), M&T Bank (Ravens) and Gillette.  The latter two are terrific in every way...your typical modern stadiums.  I'm sure the Hard Rock is at least on par with those...wouldn't surprise me if it was even better, as both M&T and Gillette have already been around for a while.  But yeah, for such a new building, MetLife says NOTHING. 

It would do the Jets and Giants a lot of good to embark on a Hard Rock style makeover. At least give the fans overhangs from the elements, break up the seats a bit so it isn't just some cookie cutter type symmetrical bore. 

You look at Jerryworld, look at Minnesota and what's about to happen in Atlanta and you see how badly we whiffed on this. Granted cost of building in NJ vs the other states is way different but who said you had to make it 82,000 seats them. Do 70,000 seats. Make things closer to the field. The upper deck at Metlife is 9 miles away