2016 Miami Dolphins thread

Hi, I'm VALUE!

Beyond the risk of Tannehill aggravating the injury, the Dolphins just have a better chance of winning with Matt Moore than Tannehill at anything less than 100 percent, and having not played for about a month.

The offense has performed very well since Moore took over, and that includes even the Patriots game.  Moore actually has a QB rating above 100.

And I think it's not just an anomaly or a small sample size.   I think he's above .500 as a starter and performed well on a terrible, terrible team the year Sporano was fired.  He might have cost us a shot at Luck, although even a Chad Henne led team couldn't have been as bad as the Colts that year.   

• Like 1

Beyond the risk of Tannehill aggravating the injury, the Dolphins just have a better chance of winning with Matt Moore than Tannehill at anything less than 100 percent, and having not played for about a month.
The offense has performed very well since Moore took over, and that includes even the Patriots game.  Moore actually has a QB rating above 100.
And I think it's not just an anomaly or a small sample size.   I think he's above .500 as a starter and performed well on a terrible, terrible team the year Sporano was fired.  He might have cost us a shot at Luck, although even a Chad Henne led team couldn't have been as bad as the Colts that year.   

Can't disagree re: the rust factor and the fact that Tannehill would likely be favoring that knee a little, if only subconsciously. In the end, it's gonna take one hell of a team effort to win this game no matter who the QB is. I'm fine with Tannehill sitting this one out. If we win, maybe he could go next week. If we lose, more time to rest up and get ready for next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clearly not ready for prime time, not even close.  There's zero point competing for a playoff spot if you're going to get stomped on like this.  

Like I've said before, this is easily a team that could end up being 5-11 next year.  We enjoyed the playoffs for all of 30 seconds which was getting good field position on the opening kickoff.

What a joke.

Be nice if the defense shows up one of these days. 

Miami's young players are killing the team with penalties. That Ajayi penalty was completely stupid and probably cost Miami their best shot at four extra points. I can't even fault Moore and the offense too much ... sure they need to finish drives but they're holding their own. The defense other than Mitchell and Alonso are still on the team bus. 

At least they got the Big Ben gift...lets change the momentum here. 

This team is overmatched today, plain and simple. It was a good season. No one expected us to make the playoffs this year. Hopefully the Steelers can take down the Pats because they're the only ones who are keeping New England from the Super Bowl. Looking forward to seeing what we do in the draft and free agency, and then to July and the opening of training camp.

Hats off to a Miami Dolphins team that had the most successful season they've had in 9 years. Your fans should be very proud of the year you had, and the effort your team put forth. You started 1-4, and then went an improbable 9-2 the rest of the way. That's heart you can't buy. Heart I wish my team had.
Will you improve on that next season with an 11-12 win year? Who knows. But imo it's a safe bet to assume you'll have another 10-6 record again. You've got some great young players that play their asses off.. a Top 3 defense.. a franchise QB.. and a Head Coach that got his players to buy into the program. Your offense needs some playmakers, that you'll no-doubt add in the offseason. I was wrong about Mike Tannenbaum. I'm man enough to admit that.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Beezer34 said:

Hats off to a Miami Dolphins team that had the most successful season they've had in 9 years. Your fans should be very proud of the year you had, and the effort your team put forth. You started 1-4, and then went an improbable 9-2 the rest of the way. That's heart you can't buy. Heart I wish my team had.
Will you improve on that next season with an 11-12 win year? Who knows. But imo it's a safe bet to assume you'll have another 10-6 record again. You've got some great young players that play their asses off.. a Top 3 defense.. a franchise QB.. and a Head Coach that got his players to buy into the program. Your offense needs some playmakers, that you'll no-doubt add in the offseason. I was wrong about Mike Tannenbaum. I'm man enough to admit that.

The kind words are nice, but the Dolphins could very well have a season next year like the Jets had this year (who came off an identical 10-6 record the previous year).  

The defense was atrocious this year, and who knows if it will be any better next year.

I think the whole thing is not sustainable.  Tannehill is only a franchise QB in the sense that it's difficult to realistically be able to get anyone that's better in a weak draft or free agency. Basically he's good enough to keep his job, but he's not taking the team anywhere significant.

We're a zombie franchise, at least so long as the Patriots rule the division, which should be for at least another five years.

The kind words are nice, but the Dolphins could very well have a season next year like the Jets had this year (who came off an identical 10-6 record the previous year).  

The defense was atrocious this year, and who knows if it will be any better next year.

I think the whole thing is not sustainable.  Tannehill is only a franchise QB in the sense that it's difficult to realistically be able to get anyone that's better in a weak draft or free agency. Basically he's good enough to keep his job, but he's not taking the team anywhere significant.

We're a zombie franchise, at least so long as the Patriots rule the division, which should be for at least another five years.

Thankfully Adam Gase appears to be quite a bit more competent than Tony Sparano was, so the hope is they can continue to build on a playoff year. Making the playoffs is a nice step that wasn't expected this year. Now Gase needs to do it again, and hopefully next year, they can win a playoff game. I understand your skepticism though, because this team loves to give you hope and then piss on it. Hopefully Gase can continue to build and solidify a winning culture and they can actually sustain hope this time.

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Thankfully Adam Gase appears to be quite a bit more competent than Tony Sparano was, so the hope is they can continue to build on a playoff year. Making the playoffs is a nice step that wasn't expected this year. Now Gase needs to do it again, and hopefully next year, they can win a playoff game. I understand your skepticism though, because this team loves to give you hope and then piss on it. Hopefully Gase can continue to build and solidify a winning culture and they can actually sustain hope this time.

I have no idea what the cap situation is or who the good free agents are, but hopefully they'll be as aggressive as possible in upgrading the defense in free agency like the Giants did, plus having a healthy Reshad Jones.  Also, the draft should pretty much be about getting a good tight end and lots of defensive prospects.  Who knows maybe Dion Jordan actually turns into a useful player.

I will say that the big difference between us and the Jets is that we're not relying on someone like Fitzpatrick to have another career year.  

• Like 2

The Dolphins won't be like the Jets next season because Tannehill is a lot better than Fitzpatrick. Fitz cratered, turned into a pumpkin. Tannehill had a 67% completion percentage. Also the Jets quit on their coach. 

The NFL is a year to year league...so yes anything can happen but Miami is pretty solid all around

The Steeler hit on Matt Moore was pretty much intent to maim. That's a fine + suspension in my book and reminds me of what they tried to do to Sanchez a few years ago.

Edited by '7'

The Dolphins won't be like the Jets next season because Tannehill is a lot better than Fitzpatrick. Fitz cratered, turned into a pumpkin. Tannehill had a 67% completion percentage. Also the Jets quit on their coach. 

The NFL is a year to year league...so yes anything can happen but Miami is pretty solid all around

The Steeler hit on Matt Moore was pretty much intent to maim. That's a fine + suspension in my book and reminds me of what they tried to do to Sanchez a few years ago.

Can you imagine what would happen if someone hit Brady or Rodgers like that? World War 3 would ensue and whoever landed the hit would be banned from entering all 32 NFL stadiums for life.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Daniel said:

I have no idea what the cap situation is or who the good free agents are, but hopefully they'll be as aggressive as possible in upgrading the defense in free agency like the Giants did, plus having a healthy Reshad Jones.  Also, the draft should pretty much be about getting a good tight end and lots of defensive prospects.  Who knows maybe Dion Jordan actually turns into a useful player.

I will say that the big difference between us and the Jets is that we're not relying on someone like Fitzpatrick to have another career year.  

The 2017 league year cap for the Miami Dolphins, prior to achievement bonuses from 2016 that may apply to the 2017 cap, is $39 million.  

Miami's Free Agency List (not including Jason Jones, who was cut over the weekend):

Exclusive Rights Free Agents:
Lafayette Pitts (ERFA)
Thomas Duarte (ERFA)
Mike Hull (ERFA)
Anthony Steen (ERFA)

Basically this is almost like years 1-2 in Major League Baseball - if the team wants you, you're back with a minimal raise.  Steen and Hull will definitely be back, and I can see them extending offers to Pitts and Duarte based on just having camp bodies.

Restricted Free Agents:
Dominique Jones (RFA)
Michael Thomas (RFA)
Kiko Alonso (RFA) 
Nicholas Williams (RFA)

For RFAs, you have to offer them a "tender" to be restricted.  RFA's can sign with anyone, but their old team has 3 days to match.  There are 3 tender levels - 1st round, 2nd round, and original round (each with salary ramifications).  If someone signs a 1st or 2nd round tender player from you and you decline to match, then you get a 1st or 2nd round draft choice - in other words, it almost never happens.  If someone signs an original round tender RFA to an offer sheet and you don't match, then you get nothing (ex. CJ Anderson's case - he was an original round tender, then signed with Miami.  Had Denver not matched, they would have lost him for nothing). 

Alonso is getting a minimum of a second round tender (varies by year and CBA - in 2016 the 2nd round was 2.56 Million and the 1st round was 3.63 million, so it'll likely be close to 3 million and/or 4 million respectively).  Thomas has played well enough that I'd consider giving him an original round tender, but not sure if I'd lean yes or no on him. The other two are unlikely to get tendered IMO.

Unrestricted Free Agents:
Damien Williams
Andre Branch
Bacarri Rambo
TJ Yates
Spencer Paysinger
John Denney
Jordan Cameron
MarQueis Gray
Kenny Stills
Sam Young
Jermon Bushrod
Donald Butler
Jelani Jenkins

Of the above list:

• Andre Branch will probably look to come back, especially if Vance Joseph is back.  He had a revival year this year, and I suspect that interest between Miami and Branch is mutual.
  • Kenny Stills is 50/50 at best to return - Philly is already looking hard at him as an upgrade to their weapons on offense.  He's replaceable for Miami (Carroo primarly), but his production will be missed.  I'd prefer to resign him if his terms are reasonable, but he's definitely a candidate to have the market inflate his value.
  • I don't recall hearing anything good OR bad about Bushrod - I suspect he'll be back to play RG or swing lineman (depending on the draft and camp) if he wants to.
  • Cameron is done.  
  • Gray will be resigned at what should be a reasonable contract.  
  • Jelani Jenkins is a good LB, and I'd want him back.  Not sure what the contract demands would be though.
  • Denney will be back - long snappers tend to stay in one place until they're done.
  • Young is probably gone - I'd imagine they'll look to upgrade his spot on the roster with someone better at his job.  
  • Paysinger is a good special teams player and an OK linebacker - if he wants back on the team, I'm willing to bring him back on a reasonable deal that reflects his ST/Backup status.
  • I don't recall hearing much about Rambo or Butler - they're probably replacable.  Rambo in particular may be out of a roster spot if both Abdul-Quaddus and Jones come back healthy.
  • Yates is a tough call - while I'd love to see him back in camp to compete for backup duties, I think Tannehill and Moore are entrenched at 1 and 2, and he'll have better luck looking elsewhere.  
  • Damiem Williams is an RB, which means he's eminently replacable.  If they can work out a reasonable deal, sure, and he does deserve a slight raise as a decent change of pace for Ajayi, but you can just as easily draft another "Damien Williams" in the 4th/5th round of the NFL draft.  

Other offseason business:

1. Draft: First off, with the WC elimination, Miami is locked into the 22nd pick in each round.  Beyond that - Miami traded away a 3rd and 4th round pick this year in the Leonte Carroo trade - but they also are in line for some decent compensatory picks this year due to, at the minimum, the Vernon and Miller defections from last offseason.  The Vernon move alone will give them an extra 3rd - he was viewed as the second-best free agent of the class behind Brock Osweiler (oops) -and they're in line for a second pick, but what the pick will be depends on how the other free agents (Miller, Matthews, and Sheppard primarily) are valued by the complex draft compensation formula.  If it's a 4th, then Minnesota will get the compensation pick and Miami will keep 4/22 - if it's a 5th, then Minnesota gets 4/22 and Miami skips the 4th round.
  2. Front office and coaching: The only coaching defection we may see is Vance Joseph get a head coaching gig somewhere (Denver is apparently a likely destination).  Other than that, it seems that most of the staff and front office has done well enough this year to keep their jobs.  A rarity in Miami offseasons that the front office/coaching stayed pretty consistent.
  3. Cuts/Cap Casualties: other than Jason Jones, who's already toast, Mario Williams is expected to be shown the door.  Other possible cuts include Koa Misi (4.5 million of cap space saved) and maybe Dion Jordan (3.2 million in cap space saved, no dead money). 
  4. Contract extensions/restructure: Tannehill, Suh, and Albert all have 10 million plus cap hits, so if room is needed each may restructure.  Meanwhile Landry, Jones, Wake, and Mitchell are in the final years of their deals, and Ju'Wann James' 5th year option is up for consideration this offseason.
  5. Roster Needs: Believe it or not, the roster MAY be in a decent state. IMO the team needs the following:
    1. Cornerback - While it's possible that Howard and Lippett are going to be legitimate NFL corners, I wouldn't put all my eggs in that basket if the right corner fell to me in either the draft or free agency.  Maxwell may also regress if Joseph leaves.  Corners are such a year-to-year proposition and most of the good ones don't tend to get away, but this year the top FA targets are probably Trumaine Joseph and Prince Amukamara, with a possible nod to Dre Kilpatrick if Joseph comes back.
    2. Outside linebacker - assuming the team retains Alonso and Jenkins, I can't see them opening with Misi as the other starting LB since they were yet again gashed in run defense this year.  Alonso and Jenkins are good cover guys, but they need a run stuffer at the point of attack - Jones can't be the only guy the run game fears.  Maybe this is why Miami looks to resign Paysinger to a slighly-above-market contract, since 4-3 OLB's are in short supply on the market.  Miami could also look to move Alosno to the strong side and sign an ILB for the middle - there's a number of decent ones available starting with Lawrence Timmons.  
    3. TIght end - Adam Gase, supposedly, makes good use of the TE position in his scheme, which is one of the reasons that Jordan Cameron tried to give it one more go this year.  Dion Sims and MarQuis Gray have both played well, but neither scares the opponent from a receiving perspective.  There isn't a ton to write home about in the FA market - Martellus Bennett and Cameron Brate are the only ones I really recognize for receiver contributions - but all of Miami's TEs are Free Agents, so they're going to have to (re)sign someone.  
    4. D-Line - Miami is losing a lot of their edge depth this offseason.  The projected starters (Wake, Suh, Mitchell) are entrenched most likely, and if Branch comes back he'll be #4, but after them, the only D-line guy that's seen extensive NFL action is Jordan Philips.  I would like to see a couple of rotational pieces signed this offseason (IMO anything from Dion Jordan is a bonus).  
    5. Wide Receiver - as mentioned above, if Stills bolts for another team, his contribution will need to be replaced, as will his roster spot.  Alshon Jeffrey is the obvious "top name" here, but there's other second tier guys that are very interesting if they choose to test the market - Pierre Garcon, Michael Floyd, Kenny Britt, Brian Quick, Dontrelle Inman, Adam Thelen, etc.

EDIT: Forgot one thing.

2018 schedule: Buffalo x 2, NE x 2, NY Jets x 2, @KC, @BAL, @SD, @ATL @CAR, vs. DEN, vs. OAK, vs NO (London), vs. TB, vs TEN

Edited by Hi, I'm VALUE!

26 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Can you imagine what would happen if someone hit Brady or Rodgers like that? World War 3 would ensue and whoever landed the hit would be banned from entering all 32 NFL stadiums for life.

Before I did that whole offseason thing, I came to show everyone this.

15826829_10155606075179186_4287725034091413680_n.jpg

21 hours ago, Daniel said:

Clearly not ready for prime time, not even close.  There's zero point competing for a playoff spot if you're going to get stomped on like this.  

Like I've said before, this is easily a team that could end up being 5-11 next year.  We enjoyed the playoffs for all of 30 seconds which was getting good field position on the opening kickoff.

What a joke.

But you probably would've been disappointed if the Dolphins hadn't gotten it done down the stretch, the way the season evolved.  And not every playoff team is a realistic contender for the Super Bowl.  I don't think the Dolphins making the playoffs after a long drought was a waste of time because they were the 5th or 6th best team in the AFC field.  It's also not a negative for players who've never been there (even the ones who couldn't play, like Tannehill) to see first-hand what it takes to get to that Next Level.   

Anyway, as far as the Dolphins' 2016 season is concerned, you can look at it glass half full/half empty:

Half-full:  Dolphins went on a hell of a run at 9-2 after starting the season 1-4, had a big win against the Steelers during the season, should be in better shape than both the Jets and Bills in the immediate future, Matt Moore is clearly a decent backup, Tannehill is an above-average QB (a number of teams would kill to have that), Gase looks like he's going to be a solid NFL coach.

Half-empty:  Clearly struggled against the better teams and did a lot of damage against also-rans, though to be fair, part of taking that next step is not stumbling against the beatable teams.  Defense is clearly a problem that needs addressing in the offseason...the Dolphins just give up too many yards, and bend-but-don't-break defenses tend to start breaking against better opponents...they also rarely step up in games when their offenses are held in check.

As long as Tannehill can stay healthy and continue to be a solid performer (he's hitting his prime as well), the Dolphins have a shot at 10-11 wins next season.  They also have a shot to win at least four of their divisional games.  A lot depends on the offseason, but I don't see the Dolphins crashing and burning to the tune of 5-11 or 6-10.  At worse, I think they finish .500.      

We better re-sign Stills. His production can most certainly NOT be replaced by Carroo, who is a possession receiver and not a deep threat whatsoever. Carroo can't even get on the field. No, I'm sorry you don't let Stills walk. You don't get stupid, but you pay that guy a good contract and you keep him. We traded away a 3 just two years ago and he's 26 years old. Letting Kenny Stills walk and creating another hole isn't how you win.

7 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

We better re-sign Stills. His production can most certainly NOT be replaced by Carroo, who is a possession receiver and not a deep threat whatsoever. Carroo can't even get on the field. No, I'm sorry you don't let Stills walk. You don't get stupid, but you pay that guy a good contract and you keep him. We traded away a 3 just two years ago and he's 26 years old. Letting Kenny Stills walk and creating another hole isn't how you win.

I agree, but a 25 year old deep-threat WR that's hitting UFA is one of those things that will create a bidding war and drive his price way up.  

Right now, the going rate for a WR1 is something like 5/70 to 5/80 - Stills clearly isn't worth that IMO.  But something more like the Hurns 4/40/16 extension - I'd sign that right now.  Maybe the meeting point is somewhere in the middle of those two.