2016 New York Jets thread

NJDevs4978

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Why would Fitzpatrick want to be a backup somewhere when he just turned in a solid year as a starter?

If the money's right, being a backup NFL QB is arguably one of the best jobs in world.  Not clear though whether Fitzpatrick is asking for much more money than he deserves or if the Jets are seriously lowballing him. 

Just now, Daniel said:

If the money's right, being a backup NFL QB is arguably one of the best jobs in world.  Not clear though whether Fitzpatrick is asking for much more money than he deserves or if the Jets are seriously lowballing him. 

I saw somewhere they were offering him less money than Chase Daniel got which is kind of an insult. But maybe it was less total money since Daniel got a three year contract, I could see the Jets offering a 2-16 type of deal and Fitz thinking he'd get more than that elsewhere.

The Jets have now re-signed Powell AND Khiry Robinson. So it looks like they'll once again try to get 3 RB's in the mix during the season. Ridley is a UFA and likely a goner.

With those two under contract I don't think there's much left for Fitz. And also with Khiry Robinson I wonder if the Jets even try to draft a back. I was certain they would this year but now I'm not so sure...

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I saw somewhere they were offering him less money than Chase Daniel got which is kind of an insult. But maybe it was less total money since Daniel got a three year contract, I could see the Jets offering a 2-16 type of deal and Fitz thinking he'd get more than that elsewhere.

Call me crazy but I'd offer Fitz 3 years. He's the type of guy you could always move and if the Jets aren't high on Petty (I have no feel as to what they think of him) it will take around that time to draft and develop a guy anyway. 3-21 is what I'd do. And if the Jets find a pleasant surprise in the draft or Petty morphs into Roethlisberger, you can easily deal Fitz after this year or certainly after next.

1 hour ago, '7' said:

ah crap. RGIII scheduled to visit the Jets. Do not want!

Sanchez to Denver for a draft pick.

I think it's more likely to be a mutual ploy than genuine interest - Jets trying to warm Fitz's seat a little bit while RG3 gains some leverage with whomever else he's talking with.

22 minutes ago, '7' said:

fwiw Patriots signed Chris Hogan from Buffalo, who will be the new Welker/Edelman/Amendola. Fast pesky white guy who catches 100 dump offs a year.

Buffalo can match the offer, though according to this source it looks like they've already declined due to cap issues:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/11/bills-wont-match-patriots-offer-to-wide-receiver-chris-hogan/

Not really Jets' news, but the Pats have been super busy the last few days - traded Chandler Jones to the Cardinals for Jonathan Cooper and the #61 pick, signed Chris Long to replace Jones, signed Shea McClellin, signed Donald Brown, and just acquired Martellus Bennett for a 4th round pick.

Jets signed Steve McLendon to replace Harrison.

Edited by nmigliore

Bennett is supposed to be a major PITA to deal with...definitely a bit of a risk.  The other moves all make sense (Jones was a case of numbers, in that the Pats won't be able to pay everybody), but for the Pats, it all comes down to can everyone stay healthy?  They should win 10-12 games again if that's the case.   

The Patriots have been trying for that deadly 2 TE set since the brief Hernandez/Gronk era. They tried Tim Wright, Scott Chandler, Hoomanawanui...but with Bennett they just may have that guy. Also the Chandler Jones deal is probably a preview with what the Jets may be forced to do with Mo Wilk. I think the Jets may be able to get a bit more for Wilkerson but I'd seriously consider dealing him at the draft considering how deep this draft is for defensive lineman. You can draft an adequate replacement plus pick up a solid offensive lineman in the trade just like the Pats did. 

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently D'Brick retired Cuddyer style cause he knows his play is slipping and not meeting high standards. Wow can't say I expected this but hey if you've made as much money as he has, played a decade and can get out with no major injuries that's one nice career for an NFL player

10 hours ago, Daniel said:

Jets more or less give up not much to land Ryan Clady and sign him to an incentive extension. If he's healthy -- big if-- this is an absolute steal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed.  Yet another low-risk, high-reward move from Maccagnan in the Brandon Marshall mold.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to the Jets taking an offensive lineman and then a OLB in round two to fill some needs. Not really digging Paxton Lynch but wouldnt be devastated if it happens. Also wouldnt be totally againts trading Mo Wilk today since we'll never re sign him but apparently the Jets snuffed out those rumors.

Kind of surprised the Jets passed on Jack, since Maccagnan's all about value and at 20 he seemed like great value but it's hard to really criticize it without seeing the medicals on him.  Still even if he's a medical timebomb, aren't all football players to a degree?  Joe Namath was a medical timebomb too.

They love the Ohio State kids, after Devin Smith in the second round they pick a linebacker in the first round this year.  I'm just glad it wasn't Lynch, who seems to me like a higher priced version of Bryce Petty.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I'm ok with this pick. Speed, versatility, and he will excel behind a beastly D line. I know they liked Lynch for a while but eventually soured on him...Denver just took him. We'll see how that works out.

Lee will bulk up a bit...he's a good fit for this D. 

I think a lot of guys the Jets hoped would fall to them like Apple and Hargreaves were off the board so they took the next highest guy on their chart.

I put my trust in Mac for now.

Ragland to the Bills

No surprise the Giants got Sterling Shepard. He fits into their organizational philosophy on receivers quite well.

Jets need an offensive lineman here...but it wouldn't bother me if they went for a receiver. It is a receiver driven league after all and you can never have too many good ones.

Edited by '7'

10 minutes ago, '7' said:

Ragland to the Bills

No surprise the Giants got Sterling Shepard. He fits into their organizational philosophy on receivers quite well.

Jets need an offensive lineman here...but it wouldn't bother me if they went for a receiver. It is a receiver driven league after all and you can never have too many good ones.

I'd prefer not to get another receiver this early unless that's where the value is, they have other more pressing needs...offensive line for starters, maybe they even pick a Cook/Hackenberg here.

Edited by NJDevs4978