Jump to content

2016 New York Jets thread


NJDevs4978

Recommended Posts

And with 10 minutes to go in the 4th...the Jets with the best defensive line in football (lol) have hit Carson Palmer for the first time.

This is absolutely embarrassing how this piece of garbage coach has set this team back. I'm pretty sure a dead carcass or a rock or a branch could out coach him

Bowles is so stupid. So so stupid. Euthenasia level stupid.

Edited by '7'
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's one thing if they were losing these games on flukey plays...if they were close and playing good football and having a hard luck 1-5 start. But this is a joke. This is one of the single worst stretches of Jets football that I have ever seen. EVERYTHING they do is wrong. They are outcoached and outperformed in every aspect of the game. This has been an unprecedented leap back in terms of progress. Even that idiot Kotite won a playoff game. But when the bottom fell out...the bottom fell out. It was over.

After Matt Forte scored with 4 minutes to go in the 4th vs Buffalo this team has been outscored 117 - 36. That is not competitive. That is so inept it is embarrassing. I like how he decides to pull Fitzpatrick now instead of in KC when he's sitting on 3...4...5 picks. 

Next week John Harbaugh and the Ravens will humiliate us...so it's 1-6. A strong owner really needs to step up now and stabilize things in the midst of all this turmoil. But that isnt happening.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, '7' said:

A strong owner really needs to step up now, and stabilize things in the midst of all this turmoil. But that isn't happening.

Michael Vick was 1-1 as a starter with the Jets (on a team that only won 4 games all year) before he injured his hamstring at the beginning of the Jets\Bills game in 2014. Before Brett Favre tore his two ligaments in his shoulder, and his bicep tendon (an injury that required major surgery) he and the Jets had an 8-3 record. And, if you remove the final year and a half from Vinny Testaverde's tenure with the Jets (when they called the 40 year old off his sofa, who was battling through arthralgias in both knees) his win\loss record is actually: 33-19. Collectively.. the 3 quarterbacks combined win\loss record (again... WHEN HEALTHY) is: 42-23 with the New York Jets.. and even if you want to cry foul that I "really should count every game the 3 started" --they're still 46-34 combined.

The reason why I bring this up is simple: The NFL is a QB league. Period, end of sentence. Average teams, with average WR's, and average defense(s), and average special teams, with average coaching, and an average running game.. can do things ABOVE average.. provided they have a legitimate quarterback. And sadly, over the last 20 years, Vinny Testaverde.. Michael Vick.. and Brett Favre, have been the only 3 names that qualify, and actually fit into that category for the New York Jets. Not Ryan Fitzpatrick, or Geno Smith, or Tim Tebow, or Greg McElroy, or Kellen Clemens, or Mark Sanchez, or Brooks Bollinger, or Quincy Carter, or Glen Foley, or Frank Reich, or Bubby Brister.. or anyone of the 6,553 QB's that I've had the pleasure\displeasure of seeing play, over the last 20 years. GOOD teams have a Great QB. GOOD teams have a Great Head Coach. GREAT teams, have both. The New York Jets have neither.. and haven't had either, since Tuna & Vinny came here 20 years ago!

I emphasized what you said about: "a strong owner needing to step up" right now for the Jets.. because that is EXACTLY what Woody Johnson needs to do at this moment. He needs to either go get an experienced Coach in here yesterday.. or move heaven and earth to bring in a Tony Romo, Philip Rivers, etc. this offseason. Preferably.. I'd like to see BOTH things happen.. but I'll settle for at least one. Jet fans already endured a 1-9 start two seasons ago. It's unfair to ask us to sit through this again, when THE EXACT SAME PROBLEMS THAT PLAGUED THAT TEAM.. ARE THE ONE'S WE STILL HAVE NOW, WITH DIFFERENT PEOPLE!!!! (ie: a GM who's in over his head, a HC who's a glorified DC, a starting QB who should really be a backup)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can you really blame the Jets for taking a reasonable, at-their-price gamble on Fitzpatrick for 2016?  Yeah, there were reasons for concern (Fitz's overall track record was iffy), and so many QBs put up nice numbers in this day and age, to the point where trying to evaluate them on numbers alone isn't easy...but Fitz's numbers for 2014 and 2015 were pretty solid. 

In some ways, Fitz's 2015 season was similar to Testaverde's 1998...1998 was a serious outlier year for Vinny.  He put up a 101.6 QB rating that year (not the best number to measure QBs by, but his career rating was 75.0, and his overall Jet rating was 80.2, which makes you realize how special that year really was for him...like a consistent .500ish, 4.00+ ERA starting pitcher who turns in one Cy Young-worthy season out of nowhere).  He also managed a 29-7 TD-to-INT ratio that was far outside his norm (he did show signs of improvement in 1995 and 1996, but he never played as consistently well as he did in 98).  You look at 2000 and 2001, and despite the Jets going 19-13 in those two seasons, Vinny was pretty much back to being Vinny...his numbers were not impressive at all those two seasons....you can make the argument that he might have hurt more than helped in those two years.  Vinny managed to play for a very long time and as a result put up some compiler numbers, but I can't really say he was all that legit.  He was more of a nine-lives guy who, outside of a few seasons, was not really terribly good. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Vinny managed to play for a very long time and as a result put up some compiler numbers, but I can't really say he was all that legit.  He was more of a nine-lives guy who, outside of a few seasons, was not really terribly good. 

I'm talking about a quarterback being measured on credentials, in contrast to the other QB's the Jets have had over the last 20 years. Vinny's a Heisman Trophy winner, a 2x Probowler, Top 10 all-time in yards, completions, td's, etc.. and, although these accolades won't put him in the Hall of Fame, measuring him against the QB's we've seen for the Jets since 1997, Testaverde looks like Drew Brees

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some of those all-time stats are clearly "compiler/longevity" numbers (Drew Bledsoe has done some similar compiling), but I understand what you're saying...even though Vinny was ultimately an uneven pro, there was at least some pedigree there. 

But you've really got one BIG year propping up his Jet numbers...it's really too bad for both Vinny and ALL of his teams that he couldn't have had some more 1998s, because he really put it all together that season, and kept the mistakes to an absolute minimum.  He was just terrific that year...and had to wrest the starting gig away from Glenn Foley...but once he did (for good), his team went 10-1 the rest of that regular season and their only loss came by a single point.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Vinny was just a guy who only "got it" late in his career. He wasn't the best reader of defenses and could be baited into mistakes. Plus in Tampa he pressed way too hard and tried to do it all himself. Once he got up into his 30's his understanding of schemes improved and on some better teams his play ranged from competent to very good. Sure he still had his Sanchez type picks but they weren't as numerous as before. And what allowed him to actually play in the league through his late 30's and then 40's was that he maintained that cannon arm. A lot of guys I'm sure also figure things out late...but by that time their body breaks down on them. Vinny's didn't. He was a solid QB from 1995 onward

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So in a typically clownish move, 48 hrs after Bowles names Fitzpatrick the starter vs. Baltimore...Geno Smith has suddenly been named the starter vs. Baltimore.

Fitzpatrick has been bad, not the sole reason we're losing as our what should be average at worst defense is now the worst in the league.

I don't mind going to Geno now. We're 1-5. You want to give him one last chance? Fine with that. Going to Geno after Bowles said Fitz is the guy is the real problem. Pretty clear that Bowles is not calling the shots. This has to be Maccagnan dictating to Bowles and Maccagnan losing faith in his head coach.

Geno will now embarrass himself for 3-4 weeks and we can then shift to Bryce Petty. Hackenberg should not see the field this year.

Edited by '7'
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, '7' said:

Vinny was just a guy who only "got it" late in his career. He wasn't the best reader of defenses and could be baited into mistakes. Plus in Tampa he pressed way too hard and tried to do it all himself. Once he got up into his 30's his understanding of schemes improved and on some better teams his play ranged from competent to very good. Sure he still had his Sanchez type picks but they weren't as numerous as before. And what allowed him to actually play in the league through his late 30's and then 40's was that he maintained that cannon arm. A lot of guys I'm sure also figure things out late...but by that time their body breaks down on them. Vinny's didn't. He was a solid QB from 1995 onward

More accurately, he was solid (or better) from 1995-98.  He was much less consistent after those four seasons.  Wonder if his missing almost all of the 1999 season factored in.  Sucks to get hurt right after coming off your best (by a mile) year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember that injury like it was yesterday. Dan Marino suffered a similar one in 1993 I believe. Just back-peddling and pop. ACL done.

Testaverde was like a .230 high K home run hitter. Defenses always had to be aware that he could beat them over the top at any time. Unlike Pennington (who never made the big mistake OR the big throw) defenses never stacked the box vs. Testaverde.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, '7' said:

I remember that injury like it was yesterday. Dan Marino suffered a similar one in 1993 I believe. Just back-peddling and pop. ACL done.

Testaverde was like a .230 high K home run hitter. Defenses always had to be aware that he could beat them over the top at any time. Unlike Pennington (who never made the big mistake OR the big throw) defenses never stacked the box vs. Testaverde.

Was a ruptured Achilles' tendon actually, but yeah, I was there for that game, and that crowd just died immediately...with good reason.  I knew that feeling in 2008.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Things go from bad to worse...apparently Decker's having HIP surgery too, and that has to heal before his shoulder surgery so he's questionable for the start of camp next year.

And barely 36 hours after saying Fitz was the QB Bowles does an about face that'd make a politician blush and pulling him for Geno :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Things go from bad to worse...apparently Decker's having HIP surgery too, and that has to heal before his shoulder surgery so he's questionable for the start of camp next year.

And barely 36 hours after saying Fitz was the QB Bowles does an about face that'd make a politician blush and pulling him for Geno :lol:

This is why you can't draft enough receivers. It's a QB/Receiver league and guys are always getting hurt. We're actually ok with Marshall/Enunwa but...could've used a good receiving talent in round 2 instead of the wild card Hackenberg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Best thing for the Jets today is to get crushed, Geno to look like crap, and speed up the transition to the Bryce Petty and some other coach not names Bowles era.

This team needs to crash. Wipe out at 2-14. Get good draft positioning, and get a veteran coach in here. The talent is there, we can have a quick turnaround...but it wont be with Geno or Bowles at the helm.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know Flacco isn't 100% right now, but outside of one awesome playoff run (and he was just about flawless during that run for sure), he's really been closer to average than elite. 

Another accolade, for what it's worth...his teams have made the playoffs six times, yet he's never been one-and-done. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Always liked Flacco. That Baltimore team of past years never truly made him the focal point or face of the franchise (was always Ray Lewis) but Flacco was tough, reliable, and he went into a lot of noisy, brutal buildings in the playoffs and won. He will never get the accolades of Rodgers or Brees or Brady or the Mannings. Those guys are NFL cornerstones, but Flacco is a lunch pail blue collar winner. And he didn't have the weapons at his disposal that some of his more elite stat having brethren had either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fitzpatrick came out and said things about the franchise no longer believing in him...which is true. Granted I think he should've gotten at least this start as one last chance, and that's what Bowles said before being overruled by a higher power. But can you really blame the Jets? Fitz wasn't the sole reason they went 1-5 but he was very much a part of it. I wish he would pipe down, give the standard cliche responses and move on to Cleveland.

Geno looked...not totally lost before the knee tweak. I think he was victimized by a few drops (Brandon Marshall...again) but I was happy to see him take sacks instead of throw into triple coverage as he used to. 

If we can beat the Browns (we're still the Jets) then at least they will have given us some semblance of a season at 3-5. Miami is going to be tough on the road. They're starting to come into their own and fire on all cylinders.

Giving up big plays in the secondary is still an issue, and I still don't see the pass rush that this line should be generating. Though at least they had some picks today and had some pass breakups that made them look like they are turning the corner. This was our first win over a true respectable franchise since...the Decker N.E. OT win last year? And even then N.E. was beat up and didn't really need the game.

At this point just roll with Fitz, commit to him until they are mathematically eliminated and then go right to Petty.

Edited by '7'
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, '7' said:

Fitzpatrick came out and said things about the franchise no longer believing in him...which is true. Granted I think he should've gotten at least this start as one last chance, and that's what Bowles said before being overruled by a higher power. But can you really blame the Jets? Fitz wasn't the sole reason they went 1-5 but he was very much a part of it. I wish he would pipe down, give the standard cliche responses and move on to Cleveland.

Geno looked...not totally lost before the knee tweak. I think he was victimized by a few drops (Brandon Marshall...again) but I was happy to see him take sacks instead of throw into triple coverage as he used to. 

If we can beat the Browns (we're still the Jets) then at least they will have given us some semblance of a season at 3-5. Miami is going to be tough on the road. They're starting to come into their own and fire on all cylinders.

Giving up big plays in the secondary is still an issue, and I still don't see the pass rush that this line should be generating. Though at least they had some picks today and had some pass breakups that made them look like they are turning the corner. This was our first win over a true respectable franchise since...the Decker N.E. OT win last year? And even then N.E. was beat up and didn't really need the game.

At this point just roll with Fitz, commit to him until they are mathematically eliminated and then go right to Petty.

Fitz, look at your track record.  Overall it's spotty at best, and the last team that committed to you long-term (the Bills) didn't exactly benefit from that decision.  And yeah, not the sole reason for 1-5, but most definitely a culprit. 

Jets will beat the Browns...they can be competitive at times within a game, but they just seemed to be doomed...it really feels like 0-16 is very much in their grasp. 

As for last season, the Pats absolutely needed that game, beat up or not.  Not having home field against the Broncos was a big problem...for all of BB's greatness (and who wouldn't want him as a coach), his arrogance really hurt them (especially the whole mess with giving the Jets the ball in OT).  It was as big of a loss for the Pats as it was a win for the Jets.  VERY costly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yea, nobody is. Granted Petty should've been the next man up anyway but...the guy who really has egg on his face is Joe Namath who (granted he is in his 70's with likely CTE) criticized Geno for staying on the sidelines "How hurt could he be!?"

This ends his career as a Jet, he'll never be in uniform for us again. Though he will enjoy a long long career as a backup in this league. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How dumb a pick was Geno Smith. Jets fans were SCREAMING not to pick him. We heard about their infatuation with Geno for weeks. We told the team he would stink. They picked him, he stunk. He was a bust.

In the Jets case, most times the team needs to listen to the fans who seemingly actually DO know better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:


I truly don't understand why any Jet fan would be broken up about that lol.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not that, it's just only something that would happen to the Jets - making a QB change, having the backup out for the season after twenty minutes while the past and current starter rips the franchise after the game.  Seems like this is leftover whining from the contract holdout in the offseason as much as anything.  Honestly it was beneath Fitz, he sounded like a candidate for president yesterday :P

And as much as I don't like Geno Smith, it's mind-boggling that his last two chances at a starter were ended with a stupid fight and a second-quarter injury in his first game back.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

It's not that, it's just only something that would happen to the Jets - making a QB change, having the backup out for the season after twenty minutes while the past and current starter rips the franchise after the game.  Seems like this is leftover whining from the contract holdout in the offseason as much as anything.  Honestly it was beneath Fitz, he sounded like a candidate for president yesterday :P

And as much as I don't like Geno Smith, it's mind-boggling that his last two chances at a starter were ended with a stupid fight and a second-quarter injury in his first game back.

It is pretty nuts isn't it. But what was Geno if not just an obstruction at this point in front of Petty who I think this organization actually views with some hope and optimism that he can be a competent starting QB. Maybe not great but...at least better than Fitzpatrick long term. He certainly has the arm strength.

If Fitz stumbles one more time it's straight to Petty, and that's a good thing. He deserves a look. He flat out outperformed Geno in camp and pre season. Really Geno should've been cut out of training camp and the only reason he wasn't was because Petty hurt his shoulder.

Let Fitz play angry and with a chip on his shoulder. Nothing wrong with that. The team actually loves him unlike Geno.

Edited by '7'
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.