2016 New York Jets thread

NJDevs4978

17 hours ago, '7' said:

It is pretty nuts isn't it. But what was Geno if not just an obstruction at this point in front of Petty who I think this organization actually views with some hope and optimism that he can be a competent starting QB. Maybe not great but...at least better than Fitzpatrick long term. He certainly has the arm strength.

If Fitz stumbles one more time it's straight to Petty, and that's a good thing. He deserves a look. He flat out outperformed Geno in camp and pre season. Really Geno should've been cut out of training camp and the only reason he wasn't was because Petty hurt his shoulder.

Let Fitz play angry and with a chip on his shoulder. Nothing wrong with that. The team actually loves him unlike Geno.

And you guys know that, in 2017, if Reed was ever tearing it up while Familia was struggling, the Mets would demote him, name Reed the closer, then Reed would promptly need TJS.  Certain things just happen to certain franchises. 

Fitz really needs to get over himself...you had one big year dude, and were slated to be the backup headed into the 2015 season!  You're a journeyman for a reason...sure, it made sense to take a one-year flyer on you to see if you could approach 2015, but why you thought the Jet franchise should treat you like some untouchable long-term vet with some track record of success...hell, even in your last game of the season, it was same ol' Fitz, same guy who was always a turnover machine against the Pats (prior to last season).  You're that guy who's just good enough to hang around the league for 10-15 seasons, during which you'll compile a little and have some saying "Wow, 200 TDs, 30000 yards, plenty of guys would kill to have a career like that."  But you'll always be the iffy stopgap that teams will look to replace with someone younger and with potentially more upside.  You'll never be the answer, only a question mark, and from here on out, you'll be either a team's Plan B or get-by-for-a-year warm body.  This was your last chance to build off some rare sustained success, and once again, you couldn't do it.  The Jets will move on after this season (quite possibly much earlier once they lose their sixth or seventh game), and very rightly so. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And you guys know that, in 2017, if Reed was ever tearing it up while Familia was struggling, the Mets would demote him, name Reed the closer, then Reed would promptly need TJS.  Certain things just happen to certain franchises. 

Fitz really needs to get over himself...you had one big year dude, and were slated to be the backup headed into the 2015 season!  You're a journeyman for a reason...sure, it made sense to take a one-year flyer on you to see if you could approach 2015, but why you thought the Jet franchise should treat you like some untouchable long-term vet with some track record of success...hell, even in your last game of the season, it was same ol' Fitz, same guy who was always a turnover machine against the Pats (prior to last season).  You're that guy who's just good enough to hang around the league for 10-15 seasons, during which you'll compile a little and have some saying "Wow, 200 TDs, 30000 yards, plenty of guys would kill to have a career like that."  But you'll always be the iffy stopgap that teams will look to replace with someone younger and with potentially more upside.  You'll never be the answer, only a question mark, and from here on out, you'll be either a team's Plan B or get-by-for-a-year warm body.  This was your last chance to build off some rare sustained success, and once again, you couldn't do it.  The Jets will move on after this season (quite possibly much earlier once they lose their sixth or seventh game), and very rightly so. 

ugh. And you know your hypothetical isn't so far fetched. Meaning Familia didn't throw that signature 96 MPH splitter much this yea. I wonder what's going on in that arm and if we've seen the brief peak Familia come and go. But that's for another time and another place

With the roadblock known as Geno removed between Petty and Fitz, (and with his comments) I don't think it will take much for the Jets to go all in with petty. They owe Fitz nothing, they have no long term investment in him. Heck if he plays spotty and we beat the Browns I would gladly throw Petty in their on the road in Miami. The earlier and the more we see from Petty the better.

The season is lost already. We're not beating NE, we've already lost to Pitt and Cincy. No chance we sweep Miami again.

Edited by '7'

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/time-running-short-jets-fitzpatrick-backlash-silly-article-1.2846384?utm_content=bufferc2d99&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=mmehta+twitter

"I don't care. I don't care what is being written about me. I don't care what other people think about me. I don't care what's being said about me. I really don't. I don't care. When I'm done with football, I go home to my family. We're going to carve pumpkins tonight. I'm just going to be Dad. I'm going to be like a normal person. Maybe seven years ago, I cared about what was said about me. Not anymore. I've accomplished more than anybody ever thought I was going to. But I'm not satisfied with the way the season has gone this year. I'm not satisfied with the way that I've played this year. But I want the drama to end. I want it to die. There's no controversy inside this building about what was said. All I was saying was that I believe in myself. I don't think we need to hang on to that moment, but.. I know it will be hung on to forever. I just felt that it was something that I needed to say. It's difficult for me. For a guy that has been on six different teams and done it in every which way. I'm a human being. I'm human. I have emotions. Even though my wife might not think so sometimes. Or even though I don't show it alot of the time. That was a very difficult situation for me, because I'm a human being. That was alot of what I was trying to express in that postgame interview. I'm not a robot even though at times it seems like things don't affect me. They do. There is still a human element to it. When we lose, blame me. My shoulders are big enough. Blame me for everything. That's fine. I can take it. I'll take that. You don't need to blame a young rookie receiver that can't handle it. I can handle it. I'm accountable for all my actions, good or bad. If I'm in there and I'm not getting results, then it doesn't matter how nice of a guy I am, or how respected I am. I'll be the first one to say that I haven't been lighting the world on fire. I'm the quarterback. The blame comes at me, and it stops with me. It doesn't need to go anywhere else."  --Ryan Fitzpatrick

Edited by Beezer34

Earth to Todd: You MIGHT want to start doubling Terrelle Pryor (a.k.a the Browns' only gamebreaker) right about now.

And Fitz 3-14 for 30 yards, those should be his last passes as a Jet unless every other QB winds up on IR.  Put in Petty for the second half and let's be done with this already.

Edited by NJDevs4978

It's over for Bowles. He's just too dumb to be a head coach. The sooner we get this retarded idiot out of here the better. He has been an embarrassment to humanity this season. This is the worst head coaching performance I've seen since Kotite.

Flush the toilet Bowles and get a veteran coach in here to work with Petty next year. He can't handle the job it is plainly obvious. 

When you have to go to these extents to beat the Browns...YOU'RE the joke. No style points here, the Jets really looked like hot garbage most of the night and they won because the Browns were hotter garbage.

Two bad teams. Going nowhere. 

53 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Who is this team and what did they do with the Jets at halftime? :blink:

The Jets did knuckle up but...come on you need to take care of the Browns 35-12, not have to scratch and claw and use every last drop in the tank.

Fitz is gutsy yes but, he is still infuriating, and I'm looking forward to the post Fitz era. Miami is on a high, coming together, and not a dumpster fire like the Browns. They start like this vs Miami and they're down 23-0 not 10-0. And they dont come back.

The Jets have above average talent. Their coaching and gameplanning is atrocious.

Edited by '7'

3 minutes ago, '7' said:

The Jets did knuckle up but...come on you need to take care of the Browns 35-12, not have to scratch and claw and use every drop in the tank.

Fitz is gutsy yes but, he is still infuriating, and I'm looking forward to the post Fitz era. Miami is on a high, coming together, and not a dumpster fire like the Browns. They start like this vs Miami and they're down 23-0 not 10-0.

I mean the Browns are bad but they've actually been IN a few of the games this year and that was with the humpty dumpty QB's they were running out the last six weeks.  McCown is the only NFL QB they have on their roster, just our luck he was back for us and it doesn't take a great QB to burn our pass defense.

Our offense is another story, there was no excuse for that first half.

Edited by NJDevs4978

When you have to go to these extents to beat the Browns...YOU'RE the joke. No style points here, the Jets really looked like hot garbage most of the night and they won because the Browns were hotter garbage.
Two bad teams. Going nowhere. 

I want nothing more than to bury you guys next week... But I doubt we will. Because Dolphins. You get back to .500 and it's a brand new ballgame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

50 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I mean the Browns are bad but they've actually been IN a few of the games this year and that was with the humpty dumpty QB's they were running out the last six weeks.  McCown is the only NFL QB they have on their roster, just our luck he was back for us and it doesn't take a great QB to burn our pass defense.

Our offense is another story, there was no excuse for that first half.

It really was a non competitive 1st half. And seeing Terrell Pryor was so damn sad.

I'm probably being too hard on them but...any game they play a real passing attack they are being torched. I have no clue why this secondary is this bad but they shouldn't be.

3 hours ago, '7' said:

It really was a non competitive 1st half. And seeing Terrell Pryor was so damn sad.

I'm probably being too hard on them but...any game they play a real passing attack they are being torched. I have no clue why this secondary is this bad but they shouldn't be.

Because this head coach has a blind spot for Revis and keeps putting him on the top receiver when it's obvious he can no longer handle elite WR's one on one.

He's accounted for 2,000 all-purpose yards..
He's scored 13 TD's, to 2 interceptions..
He's got 102.4 QB Rating..
He's 6-1..
He's 23 years old!
He's Dak Prescott.. and he just solved the QB conundrum for the New York Jets.

CvJaT_wWgAQwVYN.jpg

9 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Because this head coach has a blind spot for Revis and keeps putting him on the top receiver when it's obvious he can no longer handle elite WR's one on one.

Boomer and Carton were really shredding him this morning...Carton actually went so far as to say that Revis didn't seem to be competing all that hard. 

Beez, if you want to go the 35-year-old vet QB route, you should probably look into Rivers first.  The guy NEVER misses a game. 

10 hours ago, Beezer34 said:

He's 6-1..
He's 23 years old!

CvJaT_wWgAQwVYN.jpg

100% on the money. But we won't be the only suitors. Still half a season to go, and we won't be the only team that is perhaps looking for a capable (more than capable...a good qb) stopgap while they have somebody waiting in the wings (two in our case, Hack and Petty) but the Jets have some veteran talent here that we need to ensure make one more run at this thing. Romo will make us a contender in 2017.

11 hours ago, Beezer34 said:

He's 6-1..
He's 23 years old!

CvJaT_wWgAQwVYN.jpg

that 1 point loss to cincy killed u guys. how different would u feel about fitz had u pulled that game out? u would be 4-4 right now. at the very least fitz has shown that he is still the guy he was last yr the last 2games

It totally killed us. But you know Fitz made a perfect throw late and we could've gotten into FG range to win that game had Marshall not had a huge drop. He drops way too many balls. But even at 4-4 you really couldn't be too confident about the Jets chances. They will likely split Miami/Rams and then lose to N.E. to drop them to 4-7. Any way you twist and turn the Jets schedule, 6-10 is the most likely. 7-9 possibly.

Edited by '7'

22 hours ago, SS#4-Life said:

how different would u feel about fitz had u pulled that game out? u would be 4-4 right now. at the very least fitz has shown that he is still the guy he was last yr the last 2games

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.. Fitz is not a starting QB, and these last two games, barely beating teams with a combined 3-12 record changes nothing. Ryan Fitzpatrick is probably the best backup quarterback in the NFL. He's not a starter. He can't hang against elite teams\quarterbacks, which is why all 3 of our wins this season have come against teams that are .500 or less. 9 of our 10 wins last season, again.. all came against teams with a losing record. In 2014 while playing for the Texans, all 7 of Fitzpatrick's wins (Oakland, Washington, Tennessee 2x, Cleveland, Buffalo, Jacksonville) came against teams that were .500 or worse. In 2013 while playing for the Texans, all 4 of his wins (Jets, Raiders, Jaguars, Houston) AGAIN.. came against team that didn't have a winning record. In 2012 while playing for the Bills.. ALL 6 OF HIS WINS CAME AGAINST TEAMS WITH A LOSING RECORD!!!! (I literally just checked it, because I can't believe the track-record is this legitimate) He's won a total of 29 games since 2012.. with 28 of them coming against teams that were .500 or less! The home victory against the Patriots last season (which we had to take to OT to win) was his first victory against a team with a winning record, over the last 6 years. You have to literally go back to 2011 to find the last game that it happened!

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but: Michael Vick, Brett Favre, Vinny Testaverde. THAT'S IT! Those are the only "elite quarterbacks" I've seen play for my Jets over the last 20 years. They all won games for us against teams that were ABOVE .500 because they've had a career's worth to prove they can hang with the big boys. #GiveMeRomo

You make some salient points there. I'm just a bit softer in my Fitz criticism because after watching Geno and Sanchez at their worst at least Fitzpatrick is somewhat competent in comparison. At least he's better than both of them.

Ultimately it will either rest on the shoulders of Petty or Hack. The thing is we'd better get Romo I really don't want it to be Cutler for us next year

Would love Rivers CR but...too much of a west coast guy. I really think he'd retire before playing somewhere else. He's too entrenched there and has like a million kids. Also it could get contentious between him and the NY media, SD there is no pressure and Rivers does have a douchy streak. fwiw his throwing style always drive me crazy. I mean it works but he always looks like he's pushing or shot putting the ball down the field.

On 10/31/2016 at 7:27 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Boomer and Carton were really shredding him this morning...Carton actually went so far as to say that Revis didn't seem to be competing all that hard. 

Beez, if you want to go the 35-year-old vet QB route, you should probably look into Rivers first.  The guy NEVER misses a game. 

That would be a first for Revis. He always competes hard. Could be because he's still a bit injured (he really is not running well) but if he's mailing it in then nail his ass to the bench. He doesn't fight for the ball the way he used to...he doesn't make any plays (0 picks) this is one of the most perplexing falls from grace I've ever seen. You almost hope he's injured because it's tough to see a guy who was at his peak one of the best cover corners ever now look like garbage.

I don't get why everyone is just ignoring the fact Romo broke his collarbone like four different times. Yeah he'll be great the three games he plays till he goes back on IR again.

Vick doesn't belong in that hypothesis with the other two, he wasn't good and didn't even play a lot. What else did Vinny and Favre have in common besides being vet QB's? They were actually durable enough to PLAY 16 games a year. Romo isn't.

Edited by NJDevs4978

26 minutes ago, '7' said:

You make some salient points there. I'm just a bit softer in my Fitz criticism because after watching Geno and Sanchez at their worst at least Fitzpatrick is somewhat competent in comparison. At least he's better than both of them.

Ultimately it will either rest on the shoulders of Petty or Hack. The thing is we'd better get Romo I really don't want it to be Cutler for us next year

Would love Rivers CR but...too much of a west coast guy. I really think he'd retire before playing somewhere else. He's too entrenched there and has like a million kids. Also it could get contentious between him and the NY media, SD there is no pressure and Rivers does have a douchy streak. fwiw his throwing style always drive me crazy. I mean it works but he always looks like he's pushing or shot putting the ball down the field.

Cutler is a loser.  Can't see the Jets ever going that route.  I'd think they'd go with one of the kids first. 

I had no idea of Fitz's track record and how he does most of damage against losing teams...it's not ALL him, but that's still pretty damning.  Beez pretty much nailed it (good research on that one)...Fitz is a good backup, and might have some success on a soft-schedule.  But not a starter for a team looking to make real sustained progress.   

57 minutes ago, '7' said:

You make some salient points there. I'm just a bit softer in my Fitz criticism because after watching Geno and Sanchez at their worst at least Fitzpatrick is somewhat competent in comparison. At least he's better than both of them. Ultimately it will either rest on the shoulders of Petty or Hack. The thing is we'd better get Romo I really don't want it to be Cutler for us next year. Would love Rivers CR but...too much of a west coast guy. I really think he'd retire before playing somewhere else.

Dude.. Rivers, Romo, or Cutler at this point. I don't even care which one! Even Cutler is a guy who I think is salvageable and has shown some great things over his career.

I think the big difference between Fitz and guys like Tebow, Sanchez, Geno, and some of the other duds we've had @ QB are: At least we know Fitz can beat lesser teams. Where as D+ quarterbacks like Sanchez & Geno would even lose games against dogsh!t opponents. That doesn't mean that Fitzpatrick is an A quarterback. He's not. He's a C+ QB who will rarely\occasionally give you a B- game.

44 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I don't get why everyone is just ignoring the fact Romo broke his collarbone like four different times. Yeah he'll be great the three games he plays till he goes back on IR again.

Vick doesn't belong in that hypothesis with the other two, he wasn't good and didn't even play alot. What else did Vinny and Favre have in common besides being vet QB's? They were actually durable enough to PLAY 16 games a year.

To be fair... yes... Romo has had some horrible luck as far as injury, dating back to 2015 last year. I'll give you that. But he played a full season in 2014, a full season in 2013, a full season in 2012.. 2011.. etc. I think the year you really go back to is 2009 (again, where he played a full 16 games) to look at the type of pounding his body can take. He took a beating that year, and played through some nasty injuries. I'm not refuting you on these last two seasons. He's had some hard luck, no question. But when it comes to elite quarterbacks, you take that chance. Alot of talking heads were killing the Denver Broncos for signing a 39 year old Peyton Manning (having missed an entire year) coming off of major reconstructive neck surgery. 2 Conference Championships, and 1 Superbowl later.. it seems like the gamble paid off.

EDIT: I only include Vick in that equation, because he was a guy that came here with pedigree. He was 33 when we signed him, and we should've played him from the beginning. Had we, Rex may've still been here. When he finally got his chance, Vick beat an 11-5 Pittsburgh Steelers team.. and made Idzik look really REALLY bad. Because it became obvious at that point that Rex's hand was being forced into playing Geno.

Edited by Beezer34