GDT Columbus at Devils 3-20

Satans Hockey

Again if you haven't yet, I urge you to check out the DSP for Matteau trade thread on the Canadiens' section of HF boards. They are now on a part 2 and it's just the best entertainment I have seen in a while.

Posters be like, "DSP is going to score 120 goals and this guy Matteau skates in circles."

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Again if you haven't yet, I urge you to check out the DSP for Matteau trade thread on the Canadiens' section of HF boards. They are now on a part 2 and it's just the best entertainment I have seen in a while.

Posters be like, "DSP is going to score 120 goals and this guy Matteau skates in circles."

i actually did. checked it out and i was actually underwhelmed lol but its probably cause i read or hear worst stuff from them everyday lol

2 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

I checked it out when you first suggested it.  HILARIOUS.  

"DSP is nothing more than a fourth liner!" 
"This guy Matteau has potential to get better!"
"MB(Marc Bergevin) trades for the sake of trading!"  
"Smith-Pelly scored again tonight.  :angry:"

• Like 1

Happy for Wedge...no matter what happens, the guy can say he won a game in the NHL.  Wasn't so long ago that he looked like he'd never make it, much less play well enough to snag a win.

This probably won't happen, but I would love to see Cory get the rest of the season off (I'm sure he's a competitor who wants to play, so he wants to be out there ASAP), and to see Kink and Wedge split the remaining nine games.  Wedge will be entering his age 24 season next year, and will be a RFA after next season (Kinkaid will be a UFA).  Wedge obviously needed to get a lot of breaks to get here:  first Cory getting hurt, then Kinkaid struggling in a role he's not suited for at the NHL level, and Danis playing like a 34-year-old AHLer who's played all of 55 games in the NHL, but Wedge has gotten his shot, and played well in his first appearance.  He may not be any better than Kinkaid, but no harm in taking steps to try to confirm that with the limited time left in this season.  At least the Devils will know if there's going to be a legit competition for the backup spot next year...or if they have to go outside the organization to upgrade that position. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I disagree with Cory being held out if and only if he is 100%. If that's the case, let the guy play. If there is any remaining effect from the injury, he should not be in there at all. 

Agreed. If doctors clear it, the decision should be up to him and no one else. He's *that* important to our team that he should be given the decision, no one should be telling him he can or can't play.

12 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

Agreed. If doctors clear it, the decision should be up to him and no one else. He's *that* important to our team that he should be given the decision, no one should be telling him he can or can't play.

Not saying I disagree with this, but for this franchise, it's not about 2015-16 anymore and hasn't been in a while, really. 

This team has holes and question marks.  The Devils already know what they're getting with Cory (a terrific #1).  They don't really know with Kinkaid and Wedgewood (though we've basically found out that Kinkaid is not a guy who can step in and pull a Clemmer if Cory misses an extended period of time).  Why not take some steps over these last nine games to see what these guys have?  Not saying that nine games between the two of them would necessarily be definitive, but at least you can get an idea if these two should battle it out in preseason for the backup slot.  The position is going to be more important with Cory than it was with Marty...I don't see Cory being the 70+ starts per season beast Marty was, year after year after year.  More like 60 or so.  That's 22 starts or thereabouts for his backup.  Based on what I currently know about the guys in the system, I can't say that I feel comfortable with any of them at the moment.  I've said it before, but I'm OK with Kink's NHL body of work to date because the Devils really didn't need to spend for a proven backup (though Lou's MO before last season did suggest otherwise, as his moves were representative of a GM trying to get into the playoffs, as opposed to one resigned to rebuilding).  I just don't know how comfortable I feel with Kinkaid continuing to be the backup without the Devils at least considering an inexpensive, in-house option like Wedge. 

But like I said, I fully expect a guy like Cory will want to play, even if it's only for 5 or 6 more games...which means I doubt the Devils will tell him no, we want to try to get a handle on who your backup will be next season. 

There is a huge gap in talent now with like 40% of our starting roster on the injured list.  But I Loved watching Blandisi, Boucher and even Helgesen get the playing time to develop.   I hope that DSP doesn't revert back to his "normal" numbers in his career and just adds to his confidence level too.

Overall, I think we are on the right path.  Love what the new management has done to bring winning hockey back to NJ.

Looking forward to seeing Zacha next year.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MantaRay said:

There is a huge gap in talent now with like 40% of our starting roster on the injured list.  But I Loved watching Blandisi, Boucher and even Helgesen get the playing time to develop.   I hope that DSP doesn't revert back to his "normal" numbers in his career and just adds to his confidence level too.

Overall, I think we are on the right path.  Love what the new management has done to bring winning hockey back to NJ.

Looking forward to seeing Zacha next year.

It's still way too early to get too crazy about DSP, but if he ever came anywhere close to Randy McKay circa 1997-2001 (288 GP, 80 G, 87 A, 167 Pts, 513 Shots, 23 G/25 A/48 Pts/146 Shots per 82 GP), I'd be beyond thrilled with that. 

For what it's worth, DSP seems to embracing getting more shots on goal...he has 15 of them in his last 5...hasn't hurt that he's getting lot more ice time than he was with Montreal, but for now he's at least earning the right to keep getting it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It's still way too early to get too crazy about DSP, but if he ever came anywhere close to Randy McKay circa 1997-2001 (288 GP, 80 G, 87 A, 167 Pts, 513 Shots, 23 G/25 A/48 Pts/146 Shots per 82 GP), I'd be beyond thrilled with that. 

Not a bad comparison at all, and not an insurmountable target. Let's hope DSP can be that guy!

Edited by DJ Eco

19 hours ago, jagknife said:

Absolutely earned another one, IMO.

First game I've been able to see in about a freaking month so loved seeing DSP's effort and Severson is definitely having a sophomore slump

Same here, I've been missing so many games with my new work schedule. I finally made it to the Rock yesterday for the first time in seemingly forever.

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

For what it's worth, DSP seems to embracing getting more shots on goal...he has 15 of them in his last 5...hasn't hurt that he's getting lot more ice time than he was with Montreal, but for now he's at least earning the right to keep getting it. 

Agree CR76 but I hate to compare anyone to McKay.     Randy was more versatile; he would either score, make that big hit, or protect one of his teammates by taking on the other teams pugilist.

I like DSP, but I would like to see how he develops after this year.

1 hour ago, DJ Eco said:

Not a bad comparison at all, and not an insurmountable target. Let's hope DSP can be that guy!

It's probably asking a lot...McKay was playing on much better teams, where their opponents had to worry about guys like Elias (and others).  And though the NHL average GPG combined for both teams was about the same back then as it is now (it's been consistently about 5.3 for a while now...when Randy put up those 4 seasons, it was anywhere from 5.2 to 5.5), the Devils were one of the teams at the upper end of the spectrum, despite their rep among many who think they never produced much offensively.  Not so much now obviously.

5 minutes ago, MantaRay said:

Agree CR76 but I hate to compare anyone to McKay.     Randy was more versatile; he would either score, make that big hit, or protect one of his teammates by taking on the other teams pugilist.

I like DSP, but I would like to see how he develops after this year.

Definitely not comparing him to McKay...he's got a long way to go in that regard.  More just saying if he ever put up numbers even close to Randy's over those four years, it'd be impossible not to be thrilled.  I'm sure some fans are already thinking 30+ goals for DSP, which I think is nuts.  I'll take high teens-low 20s (and being able to stay in the lineup) and be very happy with it.

Of course, there are no secrets in the NHL...word is going to start getting around on DSP.  He'll have to start dealing with more attention very soon.   

17 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Definitely not comparing him to McKay...he's got a long way to go in that regard.  More just saying if he ever put up numbers even close to Randy's over those four years, it'd be impossible not to be thrilled.  I'm sure some fans are already thinking 30+ goals for DSP, which I think is nuts.  I'll take high teens-low 20s (and being able to stay in the lineup) and be very happy with it.

Of course, there are no secrets in the NHL...word is going to start getting around on DSP.  He'll have to start dealing with more attention very soon.   

Absolutely agree with all of the above.

19 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Not sure I want to see Zacha next year.

If he's ready, he's ready.  What more does he have to prove in juniors?  Yes, we likely rushed Matteau, but did rushing him really hurt his development THAT much, I don't really think so.  

50 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

If he's ready, he's ready.  What more does he have to prove in juniors?  Yes, we likely rushed Matteau, but did rushing him really hurt his development THAT much, I don't really think so.  

I would agree he's got nothing left to prove in juniors, he might benefit from a season (or part thereof) in Albany to further his development.

11 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

Is he ready?

64 points in 51 games this season.  What do you think?

We need offense.  The guy probably could have played this year and filled at least somewhat of a void for us, but the safer bet was most likely keeping him down for another year of development like we did.  Now though, I believe it's time to call him up.  

IF we can sign another quality top 6 forward in the offseason and IF Henrique and Palmieri can put up similar numbers next year to what they did this year, we should be in better shape offensively in 2017.  Those are big IFs, but Zacha will be a pretty big part of that, I hope.

14 hours ago, RizzMB30 said:

17 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

64 points in 51 games this season.  What do you think?

We need offense.  The guy probably could have played this year and filled at least somewhat of a void for us, but the safer bet was most likely keeping him down for another year of development like we did.  Now though, I believe it's time to call him up.  

IF we can sign another quality top 6 forward in the offseason and IF Henrique and Palmieri can put up similar numbers next year to what they did this year, we should be in better shape offensively in 2017.  Those are big IFs, but Zacha will be a pretty big part of that, I hope.

64 points is nothing Mitch Marner, who I think was picked 1 spot before him has about 120 points...are we sure he's ready?