Jersey (Sweater) Redesign concept site

sundstrom

Saw on Twitter a link to: http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2016/03/22/nhl-team-uniforms-redesigns-alternate

Came across this site: http://imgur.com/a/fDJzu

Some pretty cool ideas.

For NJ

:0NaHEbq.png

Keeps the logo which is important and brings back the Green for good. I could see the green one as an alternate but I'm not sure I want the Devils to dump the black that they've had since 93-94.

As much as people say the sweater is perfect and should never be changed, I'm always open to an interesting redesign. The current Devils home/away jersey is pretty simple and clean and really doesn't need any update. I'd be looking for an additional alternate to go with the throwbacks. TG has said previously that teams can only have 3 jerseys in a season but that is not exactly true. Teams can have only 3 set jerseys, but a throwback (or retro) like the Devils wear as a "3rd" doesn't count and can be additional. Obviously special games like Winter Classics or Stadium Series jerseys are also not counted.

The Devils have had the black in their scheme far longer than the green...feels like shoe-horning the green back in is being retro for the sake of being retro.  Don't mind it on throwback days, but that's it. 

I'm not feeling any of these jerseys, but I agree in that I'm not dead-set against an updating/tweaking...I'm definitely open to ideas on that front. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The jerseys are fine. No need to fix what 'ain't broke.

As much as I'm open to idea of something different...I have yet to see (or conceive of) something that I'd want over the current jerseys.  I wouldn't mind seeing some minor green accents somehow incorporated into the current design in a refresh, with black and red still the main colors...but I'm not sure exactly how it should be done. 

The one things I will always be dead-set against would be ditching the current jerseys for the old red-and-greens.  I don't care what anyone says...the red and greens weren't considered these great timeless untouchables back in the day, and I don't remember ANYONE back then saying "Bleech, how could they ditch the old jerseys for this red-and-black sh!t?!" when the change was made...it was pretty much universally approved.  The red-and-green was an odd color scheme and design that wasn't really bad, but just wasn't anything that special, and the red-and-blacks much cleaner stripes (the away sleeve stripes on the red-and-greens always looked a little weird)...as far as "untouchables" go, I would take the red-and-blacks over the red-and-greens any day. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sundstrom said:

Saw on Twitter a link to: http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2016/03/22/nhl-team-uniforms-redesigns-alternate

Came across this site: http://imgur.com/a/fDJzu

Some pretty cool ideas.

For NJ

:0NaHEbq.png

Keeps the logo which is important and brings back the Green for good. I could see the green one as an alternate but I'm not sure I want the Devils to dump the black that they've had since 93-94.

As much as people say the sweater is perfect and should never be changed, I'm always open to an interesting redesign. The current Devils home/away jersey is pretty simple and clean and really doesn't need any update. I'd be looking for an additional alternate to go with the throwbacks. TG has said previously that teams can only have 3 jerseys in a season but that is not exactly true. Teams can have only 3 set jerseys, but a throwback (or retro) like the Devils wear as a "3rd" doesn't count and can be additional. Obviously special games like Winter Classics or Stadium Series jerseys are also not counted.

I really don't like the green one at all and, when comparing the re-designed red one to the one in your sig, although I don't hate it, it just doesn't have enough white as the real original red/green one.

As others have said, I just don't see anything wrong with a traditional classic jersey like we have.   It's simple, yet stylish.  Not sure if anyone ever mentioned this or not, but being that we're the Devils, and fire is pretty much a solid part of the theme, the colors black and red represent that so much more than green and red do, at least to me.  When I think Devils, and hell, and fire, I think red....and black.  Not green.  :-p

Well, I for one hated losing the Green/Red.   So much for universal agreement.

If we keep the current ones, and I've beaten this thought to death, LOSE the friggin' ugly ass black shoulders.

Have it all white on the shoulder or all red.

Just go back to the old uniforms already.

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Well, I for one hated losing the Green/Red.   So much for universal agreement.

If we keep the current ones, and I've beaten this thought to death, LOSE the friggin' ugly ass black shoulders.

Have it all white on the shoulder or all red.

Just go back to the old uniforms already.

That's why I said "pretty much".  Of course there was bound to be a few who didn't want to switch, but I think they were pretty few and far between.   

Some of those look kind of cool. I wont lie, it is hard to not be a little jelly of teams like BOS who get a fierce looking bear on their stuff as opposed to just some letters in different styles. Didn't care much for Nashville or St.Louis. 

Edited by NJDevils1214

I've always been a purist when it comes to the jerseys, but like I've said in the past, I think the team identity loses something without the green. It tied the folklore of the team's namesake directly into the identity, whereas the red and black largely ignores it. I think the significance behind the name can get lost with the generic red and black hell theme.

I've always hated concept jerseys, but these aren't terrible. You need to encircle the NJ logo on all the jerseys obviously. I do like the look of the full logo this guy put together, but I think it might be a little chaotic with all the text on the front of the jersey, especially on a captain's jersey.

As much as I'd hate to see the shirts change, I think we all need to brace for it with Adidas coming in. There will no doubt be an Edge-like overhaul, and we're far less likely to be immune to a rebrand this time around.

7 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Jerseys should just be left alone with the retros our third jerseys.  If the fans are really dying to spend their money on another one then just add the white retro.

This is what I've been saying for some time. They can easily pursue a cash grab without fvcking around with the jerseys by introducing the white greens.

1 hour ago, thecoffeecake said:

I've always been a purist when it comes to the jerseys, but like I've said in the past, I think the team identity loses something without the green. It tied the folklore of the team's namesake directly into the identity, whereas the red and black largely ignores it. I think the significance behind the name can get lost with the generic red and black hell theme.

I've always hated concept jerseys, but these aren't terrible. You need to encircle the NJ logo on all the jerseys obviously. I do like the look of the full logo this guy put together, but I think it might be a little chaotic with all the text on the front of the jersey, especially on a captain's jersey.

As much as I'd hate to see the shirts change, I think we all need to brace for it with Adidas coming in. There will no doubt be an Edge-like overhaul, and we're far less likely to be immune to a rebrand this time around.

The green was picked as an homage to the "Garden State".  If the horned-and-pointed-tail NJ logo had been ditched for a cartoony rendition of some red devil with the switch to red and black, I'd agree, something would have been lost, but to me, it's the very clear NJ logo on the front of the jersey that pays true homage to this state's heritage...hell, most Devils fans don't even know why green was chosen in the first place.

Because the green looks great.  Dallas is sporting the best unis right now.

Face it, the Devs switched in '94 because every goddamn team practically went to a some sort of black.

Our unis now are ugly.   But nothing was worse than the Flyers black jerseys

22 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

I strongly disagree on both.

I've long been in favor of a true 3rd jersey. Wheeling out the retro once or twice a year isn't a third. But I'm partially motivated by my desire to get something new in my jersey collection. It could have the Devil from the South Park movie getting banged by Saddam Hussein as the crest and I'd still get one. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Because the green looks great.  Dallas is sporting the best unis right now.

Face it, the Devs switched in '94 because every goddamn team practically went to a some sort of black.

Devils switched in 92-93.  

As far as the Devils red-and-blacks and you thinking they're flat-out "ugly" goes...so be it, but you're definitely in a very small minority on that one.  

And no, there was no mass "black" movement from 91-92 to 92-93, so I have no idea where you're getting that from.  The black Flyer jerseys that you dislike so much didn't make their debut until 97-98.  There was a minor movement towards more black in general in the late 90s-early 00s, but not nearly as drastic as you're bitching about, and you're way off on the years that happened to boot, so that whole "switched in 94" observation is completely wrong anyway.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The green was picked as an homage to the "Garden State".  If the horned-and-pointed-tail NJ logo had been ditched for a cartoony rendition of some red devil with the switch to red and black, I'd agree, something would have been lost, but to me, it's the very clear NJ logo on the front of the jersey that pays true homage to this state's heritage...hell, most Devils fans don't even know why green was chosen in the first place.

Well, yea, they changed a color that had some cultural value to black. The only value in black is that it rounds out the "devil" identity.