2016 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

MadDog2020

11 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I forgot how utterly unbearable the islanders announcers are. You'd think they were the god damned Chicago Blackhawks the way they're taking about the islanders being "used to playing deep into the playoffs". 

I heard that line and had to just laugh.  The last time they went deep in the playoffs was over 30 years ago, unless you define deep as being in the first round.

I still will take Howie over Sam Rosen and the clown they have working with him any day.  Fact of the matter is, the best play by play guy doing hockey in this area is Kenny Albert, and he does the Rangers radio broadcast.  I wish we had hired him to do our TV when Doc retired.

48 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

I heard that line and had to just laugh.  The last time they went deep in the playoffs was over 30 years ago, unless you define deep as being in the first round.

I still will take Howie over Sam Rosen and the clown they have working with him any day.  Fact of the matter is, the best play by play guy doing hockey in this area is Kenny Albert, and he does the Rangers radio broadcast.  I wish we had hired him to do our TV when Doc retired.

Kenny does a pretty good job in terms of his accuracy and correctness in calling the game, but his personality and/or voice just doesn't do anything for me.  It's a little bland I think.  I don't think it's limited to hockey either, I think he's the same when he does football too.

Granted, like I said in the discussion about Daneyko, any given announcer won't make or break my viewing experience as I am much more interested in following and watching the game than listening to someone describe it, but I don't particularly care for anyone in the NY/NJ area at the moment.  I actually don't think Sam is too terrible - my bias probably stems from the fact that he's the announcer for our hated rival :-p

Haha, wow they suck.  Not that it makes it much better, but hopefully they didn't know it was him.

I also didn't know he was part of FLA's announcers.

I mean, this would be like a Devils fan dumping a beer on Scott Stevens.

To the last post, they didn't. And worse. Lundqvist was awful. He didn't even look mentally into the game. Awful rebound on the first one. And the 3rd goal to Sheary, yikes. I would've pulled him right there. AV is not a good coach. He never adjusts. Benched McIlrath for no reason after their best game of series. Rushed McDonagh back. Plays Lindberg on the 4th line? All season, they haven't been the same. Poor defense. Lazy work habits. No grit. And tonight, no compete. That's one of the worst games I've ever seen from this group. Glad I didn't go. 

It was so bad, I did my post after the second period. 

Humiliation at MSG

A final thought. I have felt in watching Lundqvist, he looks mentally exhausted. He faced the most shots on average of any starting goalie this season. It was a whopping 29.9 shots/game. And many more high quality danger chances due to the lack of commitment. This isn't just a blame Dan Girardi issue. He has missed the last 3 games. It's not just Marc Staal either. It's a system failure. A total fail by the coaching staff to adjust the defense from man to zone to better protect a weaker roster. A lack of execution. Not to mention the awful special teams. Pens are up to 7 PPG's in like 13 chances. And of course Rangers have 1 PPG. You can't win like that.

Watch how the Pens play under Sullivan. They are totally in sync. Great speed. Now using not just skill as before but work ethic. Before they relied on talent to win. They were easy to play in the playoffs. Now, they're much faster. Addition like Hags helped Kessel big time. Bonino too. Kids like Sheary and Kuhkhackl. And even a battle tested vet like Cullen. Plus Letang is flat out dominant. He really should win the Norris. Will he even be up for it? This is the best hockey of his career. Most impressive is how the Pens play in front of their goalies. Murray has been superb but the defense takes care of the front of the net. Plus no Ranger willing to go to dirty areas. 

The Pens are a much better coached team. It shows in how they execute. It also shows how much a coaching change can help change a season. 

As for any hopes of a Ranger comeback, eh. They are not the same club. Sure. There's hope because they've done it before. The experience only matters if they get off to a fast start Saturday. If they don't get a lead early, turn the lights out. And that window. Pffft. 

On a brighter note, how about that world class play by Patty Kane. Guy is on another level. The moves to get around Pietrangelo and the wherewithal to stick with it for a great backhand wrap. The Blues are way better than the Hawks too. But they didn't score in the first overtime which they dominated. Crawford played great. He saved the Hawks. Do not get the disrespect he gets. Their D is as soft as ours. One thing about the Hawks and Kings. You have to kill them when you have the chance. Hope the Sharks do the job tomorrow.

• Like 1

Don't look now, but the Blues are on their way to blowing it to the Hawks.

Sound familiar?

You know it's gonna happen. When I woke up this morning and saw that Chicago won in double OT, I thought to myself 'St. Louis just blew their chance'. SJ will try and exercise their demons tonight- if they lose, that's going 7 too and you can write that down.

8 hours ago, Derek21 said:

Crawford played great. He saved the Hawks. Do not get the disrespect he gets. Their D is as soft as ours. One thing about the Hawks and Kings. You have to kill them when you have the chance. Hope the Sharks do the job tomorrow.

Admittedly, I don't watch much Chicago Blackhawks hockey outside of the playoffs, but holy crap, Crawford was an animal last night. Some of the saves he was making in the first 3 periods. And I missed the OTs, but looking at the highlights now. He was unbelievable last night.

25 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Milbury was mocking him on the post game, "some commentators I guess can't stay up past 11pm" or some trash like that. Once again, unsurprisingly, milbury misses the point.

Best Milbury moments:

Beating a fan with the fan's own shoe at the Garden. 

Just after Milbury had fired another coach as the Islander GM, he was on the WFAN, and almost immediately after he had come on, Mad Dog flat-out asked him "Mike, why are you still the GM?"