2016 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

MadDog2020

23 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

GREAT fvcking hit by Hickey on Drouin. If anyone fvcking bitches about it or thinks Hickey should be suspended for even one shift, they can get fvcked.

this a million times. clean fvcking hit that i'm sure people will cry about, further ruining the physicality of the game

GREAT fvcking hit by Hickey on Drouin. If anyone fvcking bitches about it or thinks Hickey should be suspended for even one shift, they can get fvcked.

That hit made me miss Stevens so bad

Me too man, me too... That hit would do Scotty proud.

The Letang hit was worse because it contacted the head. He should've gotten 2 games. In Round 1, he took a baseball swing at Viktor Stalberg taking out 3 teeth. No penalty. No discipline. Not good. Regarding the Hickey hit on Drouin, I have no problem. Excellent open ice hit. The Islanders are bitching over the Brian Boyle hit on Hickey which led to his OT winner. They're wrong too. It was clean. 

New Post: Islanders must focus on Game Four

Let's Go Caps. They better win this one. No excuses. Tied after 1.

1 minute ago, CarpathianForest said:

So the Caps are as good as gone. Let's hope whoever wins the Bolts/Isles can beat the Pens.

Christ Mike Webber will never have a better assist than the one he just had. Too bad it was a gift wrap for the wrong fvcking team

I almost feel if this is there year then this is the adversity they have to overcome. Down 3-1 vs Pitt and mount the comeback that Pitt has done to them. Not sure if they will but, very Red Sox 2004 if they can do it

I just haven't been impressed with Wash's play for the majority of the playoffs. They sure as hell don't look like the best regular season team in hockey

Nope. Capitals are out. Pittsburgh has been creative and has shown they can win games several different ways. Capitals can only win one way; and Pittsburgh are not making it easy for them.

Honestly, Capitals are one lucky own-goal (in game 1 OT) away from having been swept.

Nope. Capitals are out. Pittsburgh has been creative and has shown they can win games several different ways. Capitals can only win one way; and Pittsburgh are not making it easy for them.

Honestly, Capitals are one lucky own-goal (in game 1 OT) away from having been swept.

But each game has been close, yes they were one goal from being swept but this series could have easily been the other way with the Caps being up 3-1. I wouldn't rule them out just yet.

42 minutes ago, Zubie#8 said:

But each game has been close, yes they were one goal from being swept but this series could have easily been the other way with the Caps being up 3-1. I wouldn't rule them out just yet.

Yes and no. I'd usually agree with you, but not this series. Caps dominated game 3 with 49 SOG and couldn't win. They seem to have no answer for Pittsburgh on any given night in any kind of game. They dominate, they lose; they get dominated, they lose. All 3 of Pittsburgh's wins have been entirely different games from each other, but they win. 

It's mystifying; especially because I don't really see what's so good about Pittsburgh's roster!

Caps *may* win the next game, but Pittsburgh will win of the next 3 for sure.

Edited by DJ Eco

15 hours ago, Devs3cups said:

I wouldn't count the caps out to be honest.

Agreed, I mean if i was a betting man I'd still put my money on the Pens but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the Caps at least push it to 7 games. Everyone and they're mother picked the Caps to win last night with Letang out. Now all of a sudden they're toast. Momentum is fickle in the playoffs.

I've been waiting for the Pens Hot streak to cool off, and I'm still waiting....yet they're only through 1/2 the playoffs.  

If they do go cold, there may not be enough time to get it back hot again...

But I do not see them dropping 3 straight to the Caps at this point.

Time will Tell.

6 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Poor bastard just can't get over the top... But at least Marino made it to a Super Bowl. Ovechkin can't even get to the conference finals.

Maybe if he didn't have to count on Nicklas "Geico" Backstrom, he'd be in a better position. Geico never does anything in the second round. He did the same disappearing act vs us last year and the other match-ups. He's a above average first center who is superb regular season. But outside of a couple of great first rounds, Geico never shows up in the Conference Semis. He's destroying the Caps again. If they go out in a whimper, they might want to explore moving him. Kuznetsov has also had a very poor postseason. He's not scoring. I've seen more compete from him than Geico. But he needs to hit the score sheet. Williams finally did something last night setting up Carlson's tying goal. 

Ovechkin has tried like hell to carry them. But he only has one goal in the series. Murray has beaten him. He has been brilliant. Ovi was denied on a great set up in the slot by an aggressive chest save. Murray also beat him on mini-breaks earlier in the series. It's the 21-year old netminder who has stepped up his game, outplaying the would be Vezina winner Holtby, who called out his teammates. Considering that he gave up a softy right thru the wickets to Cullen like Lundqvist and also allowed Hornqvist's winner thru the wickets, maybe he should change his name to Holetby. Not saying it's his fault. But he's been the shakier and more beatable goalie.

In this round, the Caps' best player is Oshie. He scored twice in their only win including the brilliant wrap around. He's been terrific. Dangerous every shift. Responsible. I always felt he was underrated in St. Louis. Not overrated. Watch him during shifts. He competes the way you have to. If more Caps played with his urgency along with Ovechkin, they wouldn't be in this situation. Also, worth noting that Oshie and Carlson are good players. Neither should be their best in the second round. Bottom line. They need Ovechkin to score in Game Five and a big performance from Holtby. And anything out of Geico or Kuznetsov. Their season depends upon it. 

One other point. I feel like Trotz has been out-coached by Sullivan, who did the same to Vigneault. Trotz has waited too long to break up the top line. He tried Ovechkin for a few shifts with Kuznetsov in Game 3. But remains loyal to Geico (Backstrom). He did double shift his top six a lot in the second part of the third last night. But they were unable to beat Murray.

I see the same thing from the Pens I saw in Round One. Better compete. Better hustle and willingness to get dirty. More speed. Better defensive team even minus Letang, which speaks volumes about Sullivan. And also the Hawks' foolishness tossing away Daley. Rutherford got so much criticism last year for awful moves. Well, a year later everything he's touched has turned to gold. Fires the miscast Johnston and replaces him with Sullivan. A more old school coach from the Tort book who's not afraid to discipline even his best players. He called out Malkin in Game 3 last round and benched him for 6:00. Malkin responded since with his best work since his Conn Smythe. Sullivan's willingness to trust guys he knows from Wilkes Barre/Scranton playing fast and gritty youngsters Rust and Sheary. His fingerprints on the Perron for Hagelin swap which helped both the Ducks (until playoffs) and Pens. He knew Hags from here. And look at how Hags plays. Balls to the wall. He's made all the difference with Kessel. Sully also moved Bonino into the second center slot when Malkin went down and now it's their most cohesive fore-checking line.

If you also notice, you don't see as many frustration penalties from Crosby and Malkin, who still gets away with murder. His hit that injured Winnik should've been called and merited a review. That's the league folks. Then there's Letang, who got one game for his dangerous hit on Johansson. But Johansson returned. As for Letang the hockey player, there's no more valuable player on the Pens. He is playing ridiculous minutes. Letang has topped out at 35 minutes. In my estimation, he's a better defenseman than Karlsson, who in his own right is excellent going a point-per-game on a playoff-less Ottawa team. I feel like Letang should be up for the Norris. But can't disagree with who they selected.

I guess what it comes down to is sometimes, a coaching change is needed to wake up a team. The Pens were easy to play against. They were going nowhere. They made a great decision and now look like the favorite coming out of the East. Who can beat them? Do the Caps still have a chance? Well, they lack the Rangers' mental makeup that allowed them to come back last year. Ovechkin did it once to the Rangers in Tort's first year here. The infamous Gatorade incident with the fan that turned that series. The Caps' mindset has to be, 'No way we're losing Game 5 on our home ice. Get to Murray early. Create doubt.' If it's not, then they're done. Win Game 5. Make the Pens think about it. They don't want to return for Game 7. Honestly, I don't think the Caps have it in them. Prove me wrong.

Edited by Derek21