2016 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

MadDog2020

On 5/23/2016 at 1:47 PM, MadDog2020 said:

If I'm Sullivan, I'm going back to Murray and pretending last night didn't happen.

It's definitely the right move for the Pens. This is Murray's run. I understood the Fleury move to a point because they responded in the third period. But Fleury gave up short side from a bad angle to Killorn. And was slow reacting to Kucherov's wrap around that forced OT. He also showed a tendency to go down early leaving the top of the net exposed. Murray has been excellent. He gives them the best chance of extending the series. 

It's funny because I didn't feel the Bolts could win after Bishop went down. But Vasilevskiy has played well making some clutch stops. He's looked more like the guy from last year. The Bolts are winning based on experience and resilience. The Pens are better. But you can't account for Tampa's run last year. It helps along with Cooper. 

Pretty excited about the Sharks. I really want to see them win. One more and they finally reach a Stanley Cup Final. Joe Pavelski is money.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Way to show up, Tampa.

What's scary is that they've been a little streaky the past few games.  Sometimes they bring it and can roll with and beat just about anyone, other times they're pretty flat and still put up a good effort because of how skilled they are, but overall they just aren't aggressive enough and don't want it as bad, so you end up with games like you saw last night.

I think they'll show up for tomorrow's game, but I think Pittsburgh will too.  What would be nice is if they get Stamkos back and give them a big energy boost.  It might mess with the team chemistry that they've developed without thus far, but I think it would still mess with the Penguins heads and give them another guy they have to account for. 

Believe it or not I think it's actually going to come down to the goalies and who is able to steal the game for their team.  I expect it to be probably a 3-2 score, possibly in OT.  I think both teams will play tight and the refs will probably keep their whistles in their pockets.

The offside that prevented the first Tampa goal reminded me too much about the feeling in the 2001 Final Game 6 when Gomez couldn't push one in early...

I'm still hoping the Bolts can win, but not expecting it now.   Hoping for the Blues too, but they look like a lost cause now

47 minutes ago, BlueSkirt said:

The offside that prevented the first Tampa goal reminded me too much about the feeling in the 2001 Final Game 6 when Gomez couldn't push one in early...

I'm still hoping the Bolts can win, but not expecting it now.   Hoping for the Blues too, but they look like a lost cause now

I totally thought the same thing. I was there in '01 and the air came out of that place when Gomer's goal was disallowed. Seemed like a replay yesterday. I hope Game 7 is different as well. 

I totally thought the same thing. I was there in '01 and the air came out of that place when Gomer's goal was disallowed. Seemed like a replay yesterday. I hope Game 7 is different as well. 

Ugh... That was the worst game I've ever been to in my life. That's the series that will stick in my craw until the day I die, more than any other. I'll never understand how they couldn't shake off that goal being waved off.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Ugh... That was the worst game I've ever been to in my life. That's the series that will stick in my craw until the day I die, more than any other. I'll never understand how they couldn't shake off that goal being waved off.

Yes I think it is much worse than '94. We had them and lost it.....a chance at back to back too.

3 minutes ago, John Wensink said:

Yes I think it is much worse than '94. We had them and lost it.....a chance at back to back too.

That's the game where as a lifelong fan of Martin Brodeur I remember thinking in that first period, Patrick Roy is the best goalie in the world.   First period, 5 rows from the ice and right behind Patrick Roy I watched that man simply refuse to allow a goal (can't remember the early shots on goal in game 6, but it was an absolute Devils onslaught) and weathered the storm until his team could finally grab a break.   They did...and Marty didn't do what Roy was able to.   Still the most disappointing Devils' game I've ever been to (and number 2 would have to be the Canes game where the Devils blew the lead with 1:20 left.    That game left me physically ill and I still cheer every time Staal gets hit.    Great.  I had to remember that... I need a drink.

• Like 1

On May 24, 2016 at 9:14 PM, thecoffeecake said:

This is all fine, but game 4 wasn't Murray's fault either, and he lost his spot because fleury made 7 saves. This far in, it should be Murray's to win or lose. If I'm Sullivan, I'm not sure I can swallow my pride at this point. And if he rides fleury and they win 6 more games, he's a genius. He'll probably live or die by this gamble.

ah well of course but my point is that maybe there's stuff we don't know. Maybe Murray wasn't 100% who knows?

That's the game where as a lifelong fan of Martin Brodeur I remember thinking in that first period, Patrick Roy is the best goalie in the world.   First period, 5 rows from the ice and right behind Patrick Roy I watched that man simply refuse to allow a goal (can't remember the early shots on goal in game 6, but it was an absolute Devils onslaught) and weathered the storm until his team could finally grab a break.   They did...and Marty didn't do what Roy was able to.   Still the most disappointing Devils' game I've ever been to (and number 2 would have to be the Canes game where the Devils blew the lead with 1:20 left.    That game left me physically ill and I still cheer every time Staal gets hit.    Great.  I had to remember that... I need a drink.

Game 7 in 09 made me exceedingly furious in the immediate aftermath (I repeatedly punched a garbage can in the men's room after that game, and what reflected just how bad of a loss that was, not one person looked at me like I was nuts- people were nodding as if to say 'yep- that's how we feel too)... Game 6 in 2001 made me physically ill. I've never felt worse both mentally and physically walking out of a Devils game than I felt that night because I knew we blew a chance to do something truly special. I knew we'd lost the series that night. I think everyone did.

Did this game not sell out or did a quarter of people decide a game that could send their team to their first ever Cup final wasn't worth getting to on time? I've said it before, but i think there's something missing from the atmosphere in these playoffs.

I really don't like this Sharks team for some reason, but I'm getting a sense of inevitability about them winning it all. They just seem unstoppable.

Did this game not sell out or did a quarter of people decide a game that could send their team to their first ever Cup final wasn't worth getting to on time? I've said it before, but i think there's something missing from the atmosphere in these playoffs.

I really don't like this Sharks team for some reason, but I'm getting a sense of inevitability about them winning it all. They just seem unstoppable.

6:00 local start. Probably a late arriving crowd with people having to hustle right out of work.

22 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

I live in the area, and it's a combination of a lot of people coming from work in San Francisco (game started at 6 local time), and a lot of tickets being unsold. It's really disappointing, and the atmosphere at the shark tank is nowhere near that of the rock or even the garden for that matter. Hockey on the west coast is different for some reason.

2 hours ago, NJDEVS1730 said:

I live in the area, and it's a combination of a lot of people coming from work in San Francisco (game started at 6 local time), and a lot of tickets being unsold. It's really disappointing, and the atmosphere at the shark tank is nowhere near that of the rock or even the garden for that matter. Hockey on the west coast is different for some reason.

I was watching this game with a San Francisco native (who used to work in SAP center) and he has some interesting things to say about the sharks and their fans. He likes to rave about how San Jose is a "hockey town" (my ass), but the sharks don't have much traction outside of the south bay. He says a big piece of the fan base are east coast transplants. My girlfriend happens to be from the bay, too, and when I first started exposing her to hockey, she used to say everyone on the west coast thinks of it as a "fancy east coast" thing. I find it ironic that people from the richest part of the richest country in the world like to have a folksy distaste of the bourgeois activities we indulge in, but that's a different discussion.

7 hours ago, Zubie#8 said:

Let's go Zubrus! Go get your cup.

Also...

Zubrus

Marleau

Thornton

4,071 games played, going for cup number one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm  happy for Deboer. Well deserved.