2016 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

MadDog2020

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I had no problem with Crosby winning the Conn Smythe. People need to look beyond stats when evaluating his performance this year. He was instrumental in shutting down the other team's top lines.

I didn't have a problem with it either.  Even when you DO look at the stats (someone else posted them earlier as if to suggest they were poor), 19 points in 24 games is quite good.  Sure they may have been a few guys with better numbers, but that's still a .799 points per game average which is respectable, especially for the playoffs.

I think Jones was definitely a huge surprise and to me he played excellent, but still, it wasn't enough to steal the series so I didn't expect nor do I think he should've gotten the MVP. 

Side note, does anyone know off the top of their head if someone from the losing team has gotten the MVP since it happened to use in 03?

1 minute ago, BlueSkirt said:

I think that was his last hurrah.  I can't imagine he'll keep a roster spot for all of next season

You'd think, but, assuming he wants to keep playing, would anyone be surprised if Sentimental Pete allows him to stick around?

5 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I didn't have a problem with it either.  Even when you DO look at the stats (someone else posted them earlier as if to suggest they were poor), 19 points in 24 games is quite good.  Sure they may have been a few guys with better numbers, but that's still a .799 points per game average which is respectable, especially for the playoffs.

I think Jones was definitely a huge surprise and to me he played excellent, but still, it wasn't enough to steal the series so I didn't expect nor do I think he should've gotten the MVP. 

Side note, does anyone know off the top of their head if someone from the losing team has gotten the MVP since it happened to use in 03?

not since 2003.  5 times total '66, '68, '76, '87, '03

4 hours ago, Daniel said:

I was fine with Arya abandoning being an assassin, and the sooner the better.  Would have been a waste of a character and plot lines if Arya had been relegated to settling petty disputes in a merchant city. 

She may not be giving it up altogether, she's just not giving up her name. 

I don't see how anyone can root for the Penguins.  I don't hate them as much as the Rangers or Flyers, but we used to (and sort of still do) play them often, and we were always jockeying with them for position in the Atlantic, so there's just a natural dislike for them in my blood. 

On 06/12/2016 at 11:19 PM, NJDevs4978 said:

Or Martin Jones.  But since a glamour team won the Cup they weren't giving the MVP to a guy on the losing team this year.

That's totally ridiculous. He had a decent playoffs and a good final and stole a game or two for San Jose. You think he deserves the same distinction Giguere got in 03? He wasn't even close to that level of play. He was barely a difference maker. There are plenty of other sharks that deserved it over him. For a player on a non winning team to take the conn smythe, they need to almost single handedly carry their team through the playoffs. You're not giving it to a shark after they got thoroughly dominated like that.

11 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

That's totally ridiculous. He had a decent playoffs and a good final and stole a game or two for San Jose. You think he deserves the same distinction Giguere got in 03? He wasn't even close to that level of play. He was barely a difference maker. There are plenty of other sharks that deserved it over him. For a player on a non winning team to take the conn smythe, they need to almost single handedly carry their team through the playoffs. You're not giving it to a shark after they got thoroughly dominated like that.

Had that series gone 7, it would've been due to Jones. He faced so many more shots and higher quality chances than Murray, who could've been at the beach. Jones' play was heroic. Some writers even admitted that he would've been in the mix if it reached Game 7. That they rewarded Crosby the Conn Smythe was sadly predictable. But to be honest, there weren't many overwhelming choices. Kessel would've been my top candidate. Too bad you got slanted Canadian writers who favor Crosby and have a vendetta against Phil. Kessel played on the best line. HBK Line was huge. Letang was too., I wouldn't have had an issue if he won it either. He basically carried their D. It's a crime that they put a overrated Karlsson over Letang for Norris. Letang plays much better defense. 

Jones was pretty damn good for most of the Sharks' run too. So, it's not ridiculous for him to have been considered. San Jose should've been swept. That's how superior the Penguins were. As much as I hate them and boy you fans should too the way some of them carry on and that fraud Lemieux, the Pens pushed all the right buttons. From replacing the coach with Sullivan, who made everyone accountable to the trades for Daley and Hagelin. Plus the call-ups of Sheary, Rust and Kuhkhackl. They did it the right way. A complete team. Rutherford gets a ton of credit. They sure deserved it.

18 hours ago, Derek21 said:

Had that series gone 7, it would've been due to Jones. He faced so many more shots and higher quality chances than Murray, who could've been at the beach. Jones' play was heroic. Some writers even admitted that he would've been in the mix if it reached Game 7. That they rewarded Crosby the Conn Smythe was sadly predictable. But to be honest, there weren't many overwhelming choices. Kessel would've been my top candidate. Too bad you got slanted Canadian writers who favor Crosby and have a vendetta against Phil. Kessel played on the best line. HBK Line was huge. Letang was too., I wouldn't have had an issue if he won it either. He basically carried their D. It's a crime that they put a overrated Karlsson over Letang for Norris. Letang plays much better defense. 

Jones was pretty damn good for most of the Sharks' run too. So, it's not ridiculous for him to have been considered. San Jose should've been swept. That's how superior the Penguins were. As much as I hate them and boy you fans should too the way some of them carry on and that fraud Lemieux, the Pens pushed all the right buttons. From replacing the coach with Sullivan, who made everyone accountable to the trades for Daley and Hagelin. Plus the call-ups of Sheary, Rust and Kuhkhackl. They did it the right way. A complete team. Rutherford gets a ton of credit. They sure deserved it.

I'm not saying Murray deserved it over Jones, but I think San Jose needed to win the series for him have a shot. He played well all playoffs, but again, compare what he did to Giguere in 2003, a losing goaltender conn smythe recipient. Not even close. For a losing player to get it, they needed to single handedly carry their team to the Finals. I think couture and burns deserved it over Jones.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I would've given it to Kessel or Letang, but Crosby didn't get it because of any media partiality. He was excellent. And I agree that Pittsburgh did it the right way as a dominant complete team. I usually watch without a rooting interest in the playoffs, but I started to pull for them when the conference finals came around. It's a real likable team.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2016 at 5:21 PM, thecoffeecake said:

I'm not saying Murray deserved it over Jones, but I think San Jose needed to win the series for him have a shot. He played well all playoffs, but again, compare what he did to Giguere in 2003, a losing goaltender conn smythe recipient. Not even close. For a losing player to get it, they needed to single handedly carry their team to the Finals. I think couture and burns deserved it over Jones.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I would've given it to Kessel or Letang, but Crosby didn't get it because of any media partiality. He was excellent. And I agree that Pittsburgh did it the right way as a dominant complete team. I usually watch without a rooting interest in the playoffs, but I started to pull for them when the conference finals came around. It's a real likable team.

As much as I loathe them, the Penguins did it the right way. They made every right move. Changed coaches. Changed systems. Brought in more speed and skill. Everything they did panned out. They had no real flaw. Even a blue line that was carried by Letang didn't show leaks despite some of the journeymen used. I attribute that to their relentless forecheck and discipline. It was a total team effort. FYI I don't see how Letang wasn't closer for the Norris. He's a better overall defenseman than Karlsson. I could care less how many minutes he plays. Letang is much tougher. What he did this past year was outstanding. Not taking away from Karlsson, who did something rare. A point-per-game for the full 82. And without him, Ottawa is awful. I just like Letang even though he's cheap.

I would've loved to seen Jones win it had it gone 7. I know it likely wouldn't have happened. The Pens were so far and above the Sharks, who disappointed me. Jones gave them a chance.