Devils looking to add offense in the offseason

mfitz804

Sounds like Elias REALLY wants back in with the Devils next season...and will be pretty bummed if it doesn't happen. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

Between Matthews and Stamkos - I think we should be pretty good. 

Stamkos-Matthews-Henrique

Cammaleri- Zajac-Palms

Boucher/Elias-Zacha-DSP

Blandisi-JJ-Kalinin

Sounds good, but replace JJ with Adam Banks from the Mighty Ducks movies and Kalinin with Doug Dorsey from The Cutting Edge. 

6 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

So which of these guys is back next year?

Elias, Tuomo Ruutu, Stephen Gionta, Jordin Tootoo, Tyler Kennedy, Bobby Farnham and Jiri Tlusty, as well as defenseman David Schlemko.

I'll guess Elias, Kennedy, Schlemko, and Farnham stay. Ruutu, Gio, Tootoo, and Tlusty out.

Probably correct, but if the right replacements are available, Kennedy can go too. 

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Probably correct, but if the right replacements are available, Kennedy can go too. 

Yeah I agree. I like the energy he brings but if someone like Quenneville is ready next year I'd rather he get the ice time. But Kennedy seems to be a Shero guy so we'll see.

Edited by Jerzey

52 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

Yeah I agree. I like the energy he brings but if someone like Quenneville is ready next year I'd rather he get the ice time. But Kennedy seems to be a Shero guy so we'll see.

He's a "take it or leave it" to me. Not desperate to have him back but if he is, and it's not at the expense of someone better, so be it. 

25 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

If Gionta is back on this team next year I'll cry. Legitimate man tears.

I always theorized that the only reason he had a job was that he had naked pictures of Lou Lamoriello that he was holding for ransom. 

This year we find out. 

If Elias wants one more year with the team, to try and go out on a high note, playing hopefully a full season, and maybe a shot at the playoffs again, you have to give it to him.  If we say no and he goes somewhere else, I'll be both devastated but also infuriated.  He needs to finish his career with and entirely in a Devils uniform.  The presence he brings to the locker room is in and of itself invaluable to our younger guys still being developed, and even more true if we continue to bring in more young guys in the off-season and draft.

• Like 1

Agreed.  If you just go with the kids, without the veteran leadership your just following in Edmonton's game plan for failure.

On another note:  I would love to have Daimon Brunner back.  He was another player who suffered under Deboers lack of leadership and coaching.

He fits in what Shero is putting together.

25 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

If Elias wants one more year with the team, to try and go out on a high note, playing hopefully a full season, and maybe a shot at the playoffs again, you have to give it to him.  If we say no and he goes somewhere else, I'll be both devastated but also infuriated.  He needs to finish his career with and entirely in a Devils uniform.  The presence he brings to the locker room is in and of itself invaluable to our younger guys still being developed, and even more true if we continue to bring in more young guys in the off-season and draft.

No you don't.  He just got paid a fortune for the past two seasons where he clearly wasn't "Elias" anymore.  Not saying Elias is a Messier-kind of guy one bit, but speaking in generalities, you can't let former star players Messier their way into sticking around longer than they should. 

It's just like the Marty situation...who gives a damn if he goes and plays what will amount to a handful of games for another team, at severely declined performance?  You got to see every last bit of his best.  Whatever he could wind up doing somewhere else is going to be little more than a footnote.  If Shero decides that Elias doesn't fit his plans and Elias feels like he has something left and needs to go elsewhere to prove it, so be it. 

And you don't even know how much of a locker room presence he'll be if he can't stay healthy.  That has to be a concern at this point.  Like I've said, I'm not absolutely dead-set against Elias the player coming back, but I'd much rather the Devils move on, so Shero can plan definitively on Elias not being here. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

No you don't.  He just got paid a fortune for the past two seasons where he clearly wasn't "Elias" anymore.  Not saying Elias is a Messier-kind of guy one bit, but speaking in generalities, you can't let former star players Messier their way into sticking around longer than they should. 

It's just like the Marty situation...who gives a damn if he goes and plays what will amount to a handful of games for another team, at severely declined performance?  You got to see every last bit of his best.  Whatever he could wind up doing somewhere else is going to be little more than a footnote.  If Shero decides that Elias doesn't fit his plans and Elias feels like he has something left and needs to go elsewhere to prove it, so be it. 

And you don't even know how much of a locker room presence he'll be if he can't stay healthy.  That has to be a concern at this point.  Like I've said, I'm not absolutely dead-set against Elias the player coming back, but I'd much rather the Devils move on, so Shero can plan definitively on Elias not being here. 

Disagree, mostly because of the fact that I think, health aside, the guy still has something to give and can be an asset to the team.  The only real thing I think that has dropped off in his game is his speed.  Even when he is healthy, over the last few years I think he's lost a step.  He was never the fastest guy, but still, he's getting caught by guys he never would have in the past, and it hurts his game a little because it doesn't always enable him to be where he wants when he wants, but the fact remains that he still has a huge hockey IQ, both in 5 on 5 situations and also on the PK, and I think with the right linemates and reasonable amount of minutes, he can have a productive season next year that benefits both him and us. 

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Sounds good, but replace JJ with Adam Banks from the Mighty Ducks movies and Kalinin with Doug Dorsey from The Cutting Edge. 

Him and his 1 eye would be more productive than Stephen "Howard Walowitz" Gionta

2 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

If Gionta is back on this team next year I'll cry. Legitimate man tears.

Him and his 10 goals in 3 years can easily be replaced. As Commodore has been saying a lot lately on Twittter, pack your sh!t and get out

EDIT: If Gionta is back but Elias isn't [by GM choice], I will not be happy.

Edited by jagknife

47 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Are we talking about the same Stephen Gionta? He's a 'great PKer'? He's got the reach of a grade-schooler. He's a liability whenever he's on the ice. He's in the lower-half of the Devils in terms of speed, and none of his 'talents' can't be easily replaced by hundreds of UFA's that would sign 1y/850k deals. 

We need to move on from Gionta. Desperately.  

So be it.

Elias, Schlemko, and Farnham re-signed.

The main thing to prove isn't whether or not he has something still in the tank, it's can he bounce-back after only playing like 6 games this year? Are we willing to accept that we didn't see Elias in full-form this year? I'd be willing to say maybe to that last question and that's why you re-sign him.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The big difference is that Elias seems to have a much better awareness of where he is at in his career.   Based on his comments, he seems more than willing to accept a 3rd line role and act as a mentor to Zacha.  If he can have half the impact that Jagr has had on Barkov and Huberdeau development in Florida, that would be hugely valuable.   Marty's issue that last season was that he refused to accept that he was no long capable of being a starting goalie and then became a total bitch when he had to split starts with a guy whose numbers that season blew his out of the water.  I don't think anyone is looking to go back there again.         

8 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Sounds like Elias REALLY wants back in with the Devils next season...and will be pretty bummed if it doesn't happen. 

Yes, but perhaps also sounds like both sides have done a little posturing in order to set themselves up for contract negotiations. The Devils aren't going to bring Elias back at the wrong price.