Devils looking to add offense in the offseason

mfitz804

10 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

What a really crappy crop of UFA's this year. (less Okposo) Shero has to pull off another Palmieri type trade at the draft.

Eric Staal, Loui Eriksson, Stamkos, Yandle, Backes, Hudler, Boedeker, Lucic. 

Some of those guys are overrated, but it's better than most years. 

On 4/18/2016 at 2:22 PM, NJDfan1711 said:

I don't understand the statement "you have to push other people out of the way to do it".  How is that remotely the case?  This team is still nowhere near having a stacked roster of 12 quality forwards, to the point where Elias is occupying a spot that someone else deserves or has earned.  Money and age are probably the two biggest issues he and the team are facing right now, but assuming he has recovered from his injury and he's able to be moderately productive next year, which I think he will, I think the problem for me, and maybe some others, is finding the right spot for him.  Because there definitely is one, it just may not be what he's willing to accept, or what we're willing to give.  Does this team have offensive talent?  Yeah, Henrique and Palmeri had great years, whether or not they duplicate them next year is both a stretch and remains to be seen, but even if they have decent years in 2017, there's still no question that they deserve top 1-2 line minutes more than Elias does.  The other guys that you probably slot above him to round out the top 6 include Camalleri (if he's healthy of course), maybe Zacha to get him playing with top quality linemates, Zajac, and either Kalinin or perhaps someone that we (hopefully) pick up in free agency. 

So now you're faced with putting Elias in the bottom 6 and giving him significantly reduced minutes as a 3rd or 4th liner.  This is hard for most guys to accept, and although Elias is an awesome dude and pretty modest and humble, a lot of guys tend to call it quits around this point in life (age, length of career), because they don't want to hang on too long and play a reduced role -- they'd prefer to remember their careers for the good times when they were logging a ton of minutes and playing a huge role on the team. 

But to say he's pushing out someone else in order to squeeze him in is just not true by any stretch of the imagination.  He would fit anywhere in the bottom 6 at the moment, and hell, there's still reasonable logic and arguments to say he could/should still be in the top 6.  I'm not saying I'm for that per se, but if Henrique and Palmeri don't have good years next year, and/or if Camalleri doesn't come back healthy (which isn't that far fetched unfortunately), then you're starting to see a really depleted roster that lacks any sort of offensive talent, even compared to what we've had for the last two years, which is sad.  Real sad.

Bottom line is, even with some cap room and potential free agent signings, and of course adding some players in the draft, this team just isn't going to be deep to the point where Elias doesn't fit in.   At 40, with a questionable knee, he's still better than half of our roster.  That's the cold hard truth.

He's 40, and he can't be playing center anymore.  This leaves him on the LW where the Devils have tons of options.  Plus with Cammalleri's health already questionable they can't sign two guys who probably can't stay healthy for that position.  I don't think he has much to offer on the ice, though I agree that the Devils would lose something off the ice.  Again if NJ's LWs were struggling in November I'd want Shero to give him a call.

6 minutes ago, Triumph said:

He's 40, and he can't be playing center anymore.  This leaves him on the LW where the Devils have tons of options.  Plus with Cammalleri's health already questionable they can't sign two guys who probably can't stay healthy for that position.  I don't think he has much to offer on the ice, though I agree that the Devils would lose something off the ice.  Again if NJ's LWs were struggling in November I'd want Shero to give him a call.

What are our "tons of options" at LW?  According to the roster on the team's website based on position, we have:

Cammalleri - Pretty big "if" next year, I think we can all agree on that.  Though if it does work out, he's our #1 LW

Clowe - We know he's done

Farnham - If he comes back, he's still nothing more than a 4th liner...at least he shouldn't be anything more than that. 

Ruutu - I have a feeling he probably comes back (unless he's a UFA?), though he should be gone in my opinion.

Tlusty - A decent player, but honestly, do you think he's better than a 40 year old Elias?  I don't.

Wood - A 20 year old kid. Has he played an NHL game before?

Let's assume, unfortunately, that one of three things happens to Cammalleri next year, all of which might actually have a reasonable and maybe equal chance of occurring:  A)  He isn't ready to go at the start of the season but comes back mid-way, B)  He is ready, but gets hurt early on, or C) He isn't ready and can't return at all the whole year.  Without him in the lineup, it's debatable, but Elias is our next best Left Wing.  I've said it before and I hate saying it now, but...is that sad?  Yeah. Quite.  But is it true?  Yeah. 

I know the Devils website isn't the be all end all and lots of guys get moved around and play LW from time to time, but the fact remains, I don't see any evidence backing up the statements "he would be taking up a spot from someone else" or "there are tons of options at LW".   Our roster just doesn't have those players.

2 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

What are our "tons of options" at LW?  According to the roster on the team's website based on position, we have:

Cammalleri - Pretty big "if" next year, I think we can all agree on that.  Though if it does work out, he's our #1 LW

Clowe - We know he's done

Farnham - If he comes back, he's still nothing more than a 4th liner...at least he shouldn't be anything more than that. 

Ruutu - I have a feeling he probably comes back (unless he's a UFA?), though he should be gone in my opinion.

Tlusty - A decent player, but honestly, do you think he's better than a 40 year old Elias?  I don't.

Wood - A 20 year old kid. Has he played an NHL game before?

Let's assume, unfortunately, that one of three things happens to Cammalleri next year, all of which might actually have a reasonable and maybe equal chance of occurring:  A)  He isn't ready to go at the start of the season but comes back mid-way, B)  He is ready, but gets hurt early on, or C) He isn't ready and can't return at all the whole year.  Without him in the lineup, it's debatable, but Elias is our next best Left Wing.  I've said it before and I hate saying it now, but...is that sad?  Yeah. Quite.  But is it true?  Yeah. 

I know the Devils website isn't the be all end all and lots of guys get moved around and play LW from time to time, but the fact remains, I don't see any evidence backing up the statements "he would be taking up a spot from someone else" or "there are tons of options at LW".   Our roster just doesn't have those players.

Devils LW depth next year for sure:

Cammalleri

Boucher

Blandisi (not sold that he's a center)

Wood

Pietila

Now get into UFA possible to come back for LW - only Farnham is reasonable.

Henrique, although he has played center is probably better served on LW.

Zacha, if he makes the team, will likely be at LW.

I am not opposed to Elias coming back necessarily and I wouldn't make him wait until November. It will depend on UFA moves and if the Devils win the lottery but assuming they really don't bring anyone of consequence in, You could get Elias on a $1MM + incentives deal and scratch him if your plan going into training camp is essentially the team they have now with albany and prospect graduates.

I am not relying on Cammalleri at all. Guy cannot stay healthy, I don't expect next season to be any different. He cannot be part of the plan going forward, he has to be a guy that you hope will do good and if he stays healthy, maybe he's great. But if you're thinking he's the lynch pin of our offense next year, you may end up disappointed. 

13 hours ago, sundstrom said:

Devils LW depth next year for sure:

Cammalleri

Boucher

Blandisi (not sold that he's a center)

Wood

Pietila

Now get into UFA possible to come back for LW - only Farnham is reasonable.

Henrique, although he has played center is probably better served on LW.

Zacha, if he makes the team, will likely be at LW.

I am not opposed to Elias coming back necessarily and I wouldn't make him wait until November. It will depend on UFA moves and if the Devils win the lottery but assuming they really don't bring anyone of consequence in, You could get Elias on a $1MM + incentives deal and scratch him if your plan going into training camp is essentially the team they have now with albany and prospect graduates.

There's absolutely no way you can have all of those guys at LW, because then you have no centers.   I don't see Zacha moving out of Center, and if he does I think that'll be a mistake.  Gotta keep him where he's used to playing and comfortable.  I think he makes the team as a 3rd line center.  I don't want to see him back, BUT you could say Gionta is our 4th line center.  This puts Zajac probably as the #1 center, and then I'd put Blandisi as the #2.  I'd keep Boucher on the wing, preferably right, and then put Henrique  as he seems more comfortable there too. 

Our right wings are probably set with Palmeri, Pelley, and then maybe Tootoo if he comes back, so that just leaves one of the other "non-natural" right wingers to move to that side, OR we sign someone in the off-season.  Basically, here's how I see it shaping up:

Cammalleri - Zajac - Palmeri

Henrique - Blandisi - Boucher

Elias - Zacha - Pelley

Farnham? - Josefson? - Tlusty/Kennedy/Kalinin

I put question marks on the guys on the last line because I think they're all interchanable.  I think we need a big body and enforcer somewhere in the lineup, especially since our defensive guys aren't that big (who really hits on D?  Larsson doesn't, Severson doesn't, we know Greene doesn't...).  So is the enforcer really Pelley?  If not, then do we bring Farnham back and keep him up in the big club?  Does Josefson continue to get chances despite being pretty inept last year?  Like Tedenby, my hopes for him have faded and he's really disappointed me.  On the right side I don't see Kennedy coming back, ideally Kalinin would be a nice fill-in there, but this might also be where we could/should try to pick up someone in free agency.  Either that or continue to call up guys from the minors and see who is a good fit there. 

Assuming no outside UFAs and what should happen letting people go

cammalleri-zajac-palmieri

boucher-henrique-DSP

blandisi-zacha-wood

kalinin-josefson-pietila/farnham

this is not an acceptable F lineup for a team looking to do anything other than get the 1st pick in the draft so it's clearly not what it's going to be. this lineup certainly has room for elias in it. but again, this will not be the lineup the devils bring to camp.

5 hours ago, sundstrom said:

Assuming no outside UFAs and what should happen letting people go

cammalleri-zajac-palmieri

boucher-henrique-DSP

blandisi-zacha-wood

kalinin-josefson-pietila/farnham

this is not an acceptable F lineup for a team looking to do anything other than get the 1st pick in the draft so it's clearly not what it's going to be. this lineup certainly has room for elias in it. but again, this will not be the lineup the devils bring to camp.

Yeah, not to different than what I had proposed.  I would rather see Blandisi on the 2nd line though.  Granted the sample size is small, but I think he is/will be too much of a talent to not give 1st or 2nd line playing time to.  The opposite can be said of Wood -- if he even makes the roster, I don't see how you slot him on the 3rd line as a complete unknown.  This is the case where I'd rather have Elias there on the LW, put Blandisi on the 2nd line at RW, and move DSP down to the 3rd line since so many people seem to believe that he's more suited for that role and amount of ice time. 

Dan Rosen commented on the Devils future on NJD.com. Nothing ground breaking really...

Thoughts on the job Ray Shero and John Hynes did in year one with the New Jersey Devils? What are you looking for this offseason? Are Kyle Okposo and Mikkel Boedker fits? -- @dsf_9d

Dan Rosen: Devils' fans should be happy with the direction the team appears headed. Shero is a smart, savvy, active GM. He's not afraid to pull the trigger on a trade. I think he'll be active this summer to improve the roster. They need a No. 1 line, or at the very least a No. 1 center. It's hard to get one, but that's where they have to start. Getting Okposo and/or Boedker would be nice, but the Devils need to build depth down the middle. Adam Henrique is a solid No. 2 center. At this point, Travis Zajac could be one of the best No. 3 centers in the League. Neither is a No. 1. Devils' fans should be thrilled with Hynes too. I think he got the most he could out of a team that clearly isn't built to win right now. Cory Schneider, as good as he is, helps too. There's going to be some good hockey coming to New Jersey soon enough.

Oof, that's a bit of a knock on Travis Zajac. I know his numbers aren't there, but he's definitely a No. 2 center. He'd be completely useless with 3rd line minutes. I know where Dan Rosen is coming from (same place some of our own fans are coming from, thinking he's not a top-6 center). I guess, I just fundamentally disagree.

He's not wrong about our need for No. 1 center, obviously. As for Okposo/Boedker, I'd pick Okposo every time. I hope we stay away from Boedker, don't think that's the right move.

I've always said Zajac is the perfect checking line center, but I guess those don't really exist anymore. His defense is on par with Madden and Holik IMO but his offense greatly relies on his linemates. I don't want him as a 1C and I prefer Henrique as our 2C but calling him a 3C is kind of wrong too. Just a weird suituation with him. He's definitely still one of our most valuable players and I'm very happy he's a Devil. 

8 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

I've always said Zajac is the perfect checking line center, but I guess those don't really exist anymore. His defense is on par with Madden and Holik IMO but his offense greatly relies on his linemates. I don't want him as a 1C and I prefer Henrique as our 2C but calling him a 3C is kind of wrong too. Just a weird suituation with him. He's definitely still one of our most valuable players and I'm very happy he's a Devil. 

Completely agree as well.  It's just an unforunate predicament. He's great at faceoffs for us, but I agree the future is with Henrique at #2 C, because even he's not really a true #1, and Zajac definitely isn't, so that leaves you with the problem of where to put him.  Yeah ideally he's not "bad enough" to be a #3 C, but not good enough to supplant Henrique at 2.  He's also not ideal for a 4th/checking line in my eyes either, because he just doesn't have the size.  Sure his defense is pretty good, but he doesn't hit all that much and he's not totally a grind along the boards guy. 

I wonder if there's something that could be done around Zajac and JVR. Very unlikely as I don't think Lou would want to ever trade with us as a Maple Leaf. We'd probably have to add something significant and I don't think TO even really has a need with Kadri and Bozak already being there and they're probably about to add either Stamkos or Matthews. Wishful thinking I guess. Paying a 3C 5.75 per just seems a little high.

4 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

So it might have been mentioned already but we keep looking at the draft for trades and free agency but is there any overseas player that might come over to america that would be worth looking into?

Ever hear of Ilya Kovalchuk?  He plays in the K.  Big naturally talented goal scorer.  He can even throw down.

i wonder if shero can target tanner pearson as this year's palmieri type trade. LA will be big time up against the cap and pearson's going to be an RFA that needs a raise. They already are going to have to REALLY take care of tiffoli and look to be trying to sign lucic so pearson is one of those young guys that might have to deal before he gets too expensive.

1 hour ago, sundstrom said:

i wonder if shero can target tanner pearson as this year's palmieri type trade. LA will be big time up against the cap and pearson's going to be an RFA that needs a raise. They already are going to have to REALLY take care of tiffoli and look to be trying to sign lucic so pearson is one of those young guys that might have to deal before he gets too expensive.

Gotta hope they do dumb things like keep Lucic around. I wouldnt mind seeing Shero get super aggressive and sign someone to an offer sheet, but of course the player has to be right.

4 hours ago, sundstrom said:

I can't imagine.  How much does Tanner Pearson cost?  He's way cheaper than the rest of their guys.  I think they'd try to eat money on another deal to get rid of it.

With Palmieri it was claimed because he will get too expensive but they also had 2 RWs who were good in Perry and Silfverberg.  They had an excess at the position.  Not so for the Kings.

8 hours ago, sundstrom said:

would have been a lot simpler if Lou and Conter could have look at his stats back in 2012 and realize that he'd be a way better pick than fvcking useless Matteau. lol at least Pearson was a scorer playing top 6. Matteau was a 3rd liner in juniors. I still don't understand that pick

Edited by SterioDesign

6 hours ago, SMantzas said:

Gotta hope they do dumb things like keep Lucic around. I wouldnt mind seeing Shero get super aggressive and sign someone to an offer sheet, but of course the player has to be right.

Gaudreau sounds right to me, bring back the kid home

8 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

would have been a lot simpler if Lou and Conter could have look at his stats back in 2012 and realize that he'd be a way better pick than fvcking useless Matteau. lol at least Pearson was a scorer playing top 6. Matteau was a 3rd liner in juniors. I still don't understand that pick

It's dirty water under a creaky bridge, but where was Matteau projected to go in that draft?  Could've been that Lou and Conte thought that Matteau had the best chance to reach his potential (even if his upside wasn't as high as some others), but as we know, the drafts were not kind to Lou and Conte over the last several years.  And we know what that led to...

At least Shero managed to get a guy back for him who looks like he'll be an NHLer for a while.  Just hope people are reasonable in what they expect from Smith-Pelly. 

31 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It's dirty water under a creaky bridge, but where was Matteau projected to go in that draft?  Could've been that Lou and Conte thought that Matteau had the best chance to reach his potential (even if his upside wasn't as high as some others), but as we know, the drafts were not kind to Lou and Conte over the last several years.  And we know what that led to...

At least Shero managed to get a guy back for him who looks like he'll be an NHLer for a while.  Just hope people are reasonable in what they expect from Smith-Pelly. 

don't get me wrong - conte hasn't drafted great the last couple of years. but there are guys in the pipeline that were still their picks so maybe they can raise their final years if some of these guys pan out.