Devils looking to add offense in the offseason

mfitz804

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It's dirty water under a creaky bridge, but where was Matteau projected to go in that draft?  Could've been that Lou and Conte thought that Matteau had the best chance to reach his potential (even if his upside wasn't as high as some others), but as we know, the drafts were not kind to Lou and Conte over the last several years.  And we know what that led to...

At least Shero managed to get a guy back for him who looks like he'll be an NHLer for a while.  Just hope people are reasonable in what they expect from Smith-Pelly. 

Matteau was picked right around where he was projected by most people.  Drafting a bust at the second to last pick in the first round of what is proving to be a below average draft is not terrible, except for the fact that keeping that pick might have cost the Devils from being able to draft someone like Dylan Larkin two years later. 

The bigger question than picking Matteau was why did Lou insist on keeping that pick.  IIRC, Lou went into that draft wanting to draft a goalie (which at the time made a lot of sense), but that was a pretty big gamble unless Lou managed to trade up a couple more spots.  He basically took what was probably the BPA in Matteau at the time who didn't pan out.  However, knowing that you have to give up a pick and ending up with pick 29 out of 30, he should have just forfeited that pick and that would have enabled us to get a top 15 pick in 2014.

We got Smith-Pelley out of it so it had a happy ending. Even if he never scores a goal for NJ again he did more than Matteau did as a Devil. I was very upset that Lou kept the pick instead of forfeiting it but we wound up with a pretty good player out of it.

Edited by Jerzey

18 hours ago, SMantzas said:

Gotta hope they do dumb things like keep Lucic around. I wouldnt mind seeing Shero get super aggressive and sign someone to an offer sheet, but of course the player has to be right.

I would love it if we offer sheeted J.T. Miller from the Rangers. (21G 22A) 43 points this year. Give him $3-4 million, and you either a) just screwed the Rangers out of a very good player they needed, or b) just threw their cap situation in a tizzy if they match it.

This is obviously operating from within the rules, but does that cast Shero off in a negative light around the league with other GMs he's trying to wheel and deal with? Is that negative effect real or overstated?

Edited by DJ Eco

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It's dirty water under a creaky bridge, but where was Matteau projected to go in that draft?  Could've been that Lou and Conte thought that Matteau had the best chance to reach his potential (even if his upside wasn't as high as some others), but as we know, the drafts were not kind to Lou and Conte over the last several years.  And we know what that led to...

At least Shero managed to get a guy back for him who looks like he'll be an NHLer for a while.  Just hope people are reasonable in what they expect from Smith-Pelly. 

I think that little cold streak he had toward the end of the season was good for us and good for Shero. If he kept firing in goals, some real questions would need to be asked about how to approach his RFA; do we sign him long-term, etc.? That little dip at the end of the season was perfect, so we're not under any illusions of this guy being "the answer" to all our problems.

Kind of off topic but should we be expecting a contract extension for Palmieri soon? IMO that should be pretty high on the list of things Shero has to do and not much else is going on right now. I mean I know we have all summer here but Lou already locked up Kadri and Reilly.

Edited by Jerzey

1 hour ago, DJ Eco said:

I would love it if we offer sheeted J.T. Miller from the Rangers. (21G 22A) 43 points this year. Give him $3-4 million, and you either a) just screwed the Rangers out of a very good player they needed, or b) just threw their cap situation in a tizzy if they match it.

This is obviously operating from within the rules, but does that cast Shero off in a negative light around the league with other GMs he's trying to wheel and deal with? Is that negative effect real or overstated?

There's actually a big difference within that $3-4 million range, as far as compensation goes...if the yearly value of the deal is $1,826,328 to $3,652,659, the Devils would owe the Rangers a second-rounder...if it's $3,652,659 to $5,478,986, then it's both a first and third-round pick.  Not that this will ever happen, but of course even if a 1st and 3rd made sense from the Rangers' standpoint (seems like a lot of coin for Miller at this point though), they probably match and deal other bodies. 

Anyway, only 10 offer sheets have been signed since 2006, and of those, only one (Dustin Penner, from Anaheim to Edmonton, at a cost of a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round) wasn't matched by the player's original team.  I think they're potentially a lot of work for no return. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

There's actually a big difference within that $3-4 million range, as far as compensation goes...if the yearly value of the deal is $1,826,328 to $3,652,659, the Devils would owe the Rangers a second-rounder...if it's $3,652,659 to $5,478,986, then it's both a first and third-round pick.  Not that this will ever happen, but of course even if a 1st and 3rd made sense from the Rangers' standpoint (seems like a lot of coin for Miller at this point though), they probably match and deal other bodies. 

Anyway, only 10 offer sheets have been signed since 2006, and of those, only one (Dustin Penner, from Anaheim to Edmonton, at a cost of a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round) wasn't matched by the player's original team.  I think they're potentially a lot of work for no return. 

Good call, forgot about that!

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

This might be a negative transfer from video games, but aren't compensation brackets updated yearly?

On April 29, 2016 at 9:19 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

i mean if it wasnt that they've been so fvcking bad at drafting forwards for the last 15 years i'd give them the benefit of the doubt but...

On April 29, 2016 at 10:46 AM, Jerzey said:

We got Smith-Pelley out of it so it had a happy ending. Even if he never scores a goal for NJ again he did more than Matteau did as a Devil. I was very upset that Lou kept the pick instead of forfeiting it but we wound up with a pretty good player out of it.

The more I hear about Quenneville (our consolation pick that year) the less I care about missing the 'chance' to draft Larkin.

EDIT: Meant to quote the post before yours.

Edited by NJDevs4978

1 hour ago, sokar said:

The way LIndy Ruff called out Nichushkin during the press conference last night I would not be shocked if Nichushkin is traded during the off season

Nichushkin had all the scouting scores & tangibles but has been a disappointment. Today's Bettman Hockey League requires a lot of east-west puck movement, but watching Nichushkin, he carries the put too much and too long in the Ozone, which produced sawdust.  If Hines & co. think he can be retrain to fit in the Devs system, I'm all for this very talented and the youngest starter(21), that becomes an RFA July. Stars also have more goalie problems with a draw of $10 million sucking sound against the cap for two 30 something underachievers in the twilight of their careers; Niemi and Lehtonen.   Dallas has to move players and find a goalie

I say, make the move for Nichushkin

Gaudreau is coming off of a 30-goal season where he averaged nearly a point per game as a 22 year old (and was a 24-goal scorer with 64 points the season prior). I'm not aware of the Flames' cap situation but even if they were with issues, he's not a player you give any inkling of moving.

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Gaudreau isn't going anywhere, c'mon now. He's a potential franchise forward. You build around guys like him, you don't deal them for cap relief.

Why not?  I mean we can trade him for a 2nd rounder, Merrill, Severson, and Josefson. 

[my best impression of a Devils FB trade proposal]

• Like 1

Devils definitely need to make a move for Nichushkin if he is available from Dallas. Not sure if we have the right pieces to offer, but I hope Shero tries to work on something. 

Also you guys are right, it was Nichushkin that Jagr was talking about. 

Going after any trade for someone like Nuke is going to cost us. We have to be prepared to lose a good asset like our 1st, Severson or something. I'm kind of content just to wait it out and hang onto what we have. If we can steal someone then sure but I don't think it's a very realistic expectation.