Devils looking to add offense in the offseason

mfitz804

Is Teravanen still on ELC? (last year)  Not that any team would grab him (Bickel) he can be exposed in expansion draft. If a scenario like this played out, Bickel (given another opportunity) might try to prove Hawks wrong & get back to where he once was. (whatever that was) Anymore, teams don't have to spend that much on an energy guy. Bickel was a 3rd liner at one time. and 1st or 2nd PP

Just now, vadvlfan said:

Is Teravanen still on ELC? (last year)  Not that any team would grab him (Bickel) he can be exposed in expansion draft. If a scenario like this played out, Bickel (given another opportunity) might try to prove Hawks wrong & get back to where he once was. (whatever that was) Anymore, teams don't have to spend that much on an energy guy. Bickel was a 3rd liner at one time. and 1st or 2nd PP

Bickell has one year left at $4 million, which is a number the Devils could easily afford.  He doesn't have an NMC, so he doesn't need to be protected in the expansion draft even if the rules will be as draconian as Brooks reported (i.e. even if the player with NMC contract expires at the end of the 16-17 season, he'll still need to be protected). 

Teravanin has one year left on his ELC.  You'd need to protect him in the expansion draft, but so what. 

You're not going to get Teravainen for that price.  Chicago has to keep Teravainen at all costs, actually.  Their window is now - unless Marian Hossa gets injured and has to retire, he will retire soon, and Chicago will have an empty cap charge.  The Seabrook contract is already a giant disaster.  They need inexpensive players.

Maybe you can get McNeill for that price, but not Teravainen.

5 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Maybe you can get McNeill for that price, but not Teravainen.

Then they can keep Bickell and see if they can live with his cap hit for this year.  McNeill is a guy who was drafted in first round in 2011 and has one NHL game to his name.  His AHL numbers and even his CHL numbers are not all that impressive.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Then they can keep Bickell and see if they can live with his cap hit for this year.  McNeill is a guy who was drafted in first round in 2011 and has one NHL game to his name.  His AHL numbers and even his CHL numbers are not all that impressive.

They can buy out Bickell.  It's not a huge cap charge to do so.  It's much better than giving up Teravainen for a 2nd or 3rd round pick, that's for sure.

4 hours ago, CarpathianForest said:

I don't think Hartnell is a big nuisance to CBJ's cap even though it's too much. Plus he's still putting up respectable numbers.

It's not the cap hit so much as his NMC.  Columbus has five of them altogether, and none of the players that have them are that great.  If they don't manage to get rid of one or two of them before the expansion draft, they'll be losing a very good player, either Cam Atkinson or perhaps even Boone Jenner.  

On 6/6/2016 at 11:12 AM, Daniel said:

With Columbus, I would take back someone like Hartnell and might give a little more.  

From everything you hear, the expansion rules are going to be very brutal for a team like Columbus, who also can't afford to buy out players with NMCs (and it isn't even clear whether that would work).  I would leave no stone unturned in trying to take advantage of that situation.

Looks like Hartnell has waived his no trade clause and given Columbus a long list of teams he'd play for. Given his love for Philly I wouldn't be surprised if the Devils are on that list.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/report-scott-hartnell-waives-no-move-clause-gives-blue-jackets-decent-sized-list/

Edited by jim777
+ link to article

2 hours ago, jim777 said:

Looks like Hartnell has waived his no trade clause and given Columbus a long list of teams he'd play for. Given his love for Philly I wouldn't be surprised if the Devils are on that list.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/report-scott-hartnell-waives-no-move-clause-gives-blue-jackets-decent-sized-list/

I know many on here don't like him, but Hartnell has been one of my favs since he was in Nashville. He is definitely on the downside of his career, but I think he can still be a 20+ goal scorer next season. Would love to seem him rock the red.

Unless he's on a 1 year deal and is able to be dealt at the deadline to a contending team, I want no part of Crusty the Clown here in NJ.  The guy is old, with diminishing skills, and doesn't fit with what we are trying to build here.  He is best suited for a contending team looking for 3rd line help that can be a pest.   

20 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

Unless he's on a 1 year deal and is able to be dealt at the deadline to a contending team, I want no part of Crusty the Clown here in NJ.  The guy is old, with diminishing skills, and doesn't fit with what we are trying to build here.  He is best suited for a contending team looking for 3rd line help that can be a pest.   

Agree with this. He's old, and slow. We aren't going to compete next year, so what would be the point? To cost us a draft pick position or two at the end of the year and take away ice time from someone who still has potential?

Do. Not. Want.

18 minutes ago, Toasterleavins said:

Agree with this. He's old, and slow. We aren't going to compete next year, so what would be the point? To cost us a draft pick position or two at the end of the year and take away ice time from someone who still has potential?

Do. Not. Want.

A team is only dealing for Hartnell if something else is coming along with him.  Columbus needs to start getting rid of some of its NMCs, unless Hartnell has waived his NMC for purposes of the expansion draft assuming that it works that way, which isn't clear yet.

What's the deal with getting a new beat writer? Are those days just gone for us? Who actually would assign one would it be the Devils themselves or would it be a publication? Can we petition for one? fvckin really missing Tom here.

Edited by Jerzey

The Devils will have a new beat writer by September for sure.  They may not have one for the draft and free agency though - Gross may be doing double-time there for The Record, or they may assign someone else to that beat temporarily.  It doesn't make much sense to hire a new guy for 2 weeks then give him 10 weeks off.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Toasterleavins said:

Do. Not. Want.

Make that 3.  At first when his name was brought up I was mildy interested, but with him just turning 34, I am thinking even a 2 year deal is too much, mainly because as others have said his skill set just really isn't what we need right now.  I'd rather keep someone like Farnham and see if he can continue to develop into a play similar to Hartnell, just obviously much younger.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Daniel said:

A team is only dealing for Hartnell if something else is coming along with him.  Columbus needs to start getting rid of some of its NMCs, unless Hartnell has waived his NMC for purposes of the expansion draft assuming that it works that way, which isn't clear yet.

I hear you, I just cant see us getting much of a prospect or pick with Hartnell, or at least enough of a pick or prospect to make taking him on worthwhile. Too many people think he still has alot(some?) of value in his own right.

38 minutes ago, Toasterleavins said:

I hear you, I just cant see us getting much of a prospect or pick with Hartnell, or at least enough of a pick or prospect to make taking him on worthwhile. Too many people think he still has alot(some?) of value in his own right.

I always felt that taking one of those NMCs could be a sweetener in helping a team move up to Columbus's number 3 spot.  If they were amenable to that in principle, the further your pick is away from number 3, the more likely the contract you have to take is either Clarkson or Tyutin.  Don't know if number 11 crosses that threshold.  Perhaps not if Columbus calculates that the player they want instead of Puljajarvi (rumored to be one of Clayton Keller or Logan Brown) will be available (unless they wait to trade Puljajarvi after they draft him, which I can't recall ever happening, i.e. a player getting traded the same day he's drafted).

And while on the subject, a few other non-UFAs that the Devils might be able to pick up on the relatively cheap.

Jimmy Vesey:  Costs you nothing except an ELC, although we're not typically the team that high profile rookie free agents  choose, but I hope Shero takes a why not us approach and makes a concerted effort.

Valeri Nischuskin:  Seems to be on the outs with Ruff, and he didn't do much in the playoffs, not to mention he is an RFA this year.  I wonder if the Palmieri deal (2nd and 3rd this year) gets it done, or maybe a lottery protected first round pick for next year's draft.  Or is that too much?

Kerby Rychel:  I think he could be had pretty cheaply at this point, and perhaps at the price of taking a bad contract from Columbus.  His AHL playoff numbers weren't all that inspiring, so perhaps he's just not that good and we should steer clear.

Anthony Mantha:  Perhaps the price of taking on Datsyuk's contract.  He might be a wee bit overrated though.

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 1

Tri mentioned Gross earlier, anyone catch his article on the Palms situation from today?

http://fireandice.northjersey.com/fire-ice-1.174987/impending-rfa-kyle-palmieri-says-contract-negotiations-in-early-stages-confident-in-fruitful-talks-1.1616145

Highlights include:

-Palms not being upset that the contract talks are just in their early stages

-He's starting his off season workouts earlier this year

-Thinks the team will look a lot different next year, lots of new faces

Personally, that last part has me excited.

• Like 1

only way Shero would consider this (Datsyuks contract)  is if he's convinced Devs will be a floor salaried team.  I think he'll add parts (Trevor Lewis?

Colton Seviour? ) or similar players I'm sure, and  like everyone else, Shero's looking for top 6 fw somehow. I'm also hoping it's not Beau Bennett.