Jump to content

Devils looking to add offense in the offseason


mfitz804
 Share

Recommended Posts

Quote
 
 

CBJ continues to listen to interest in #3 pick, however, sources say CBJ would like to attach a contract, (Hartnell) for cap space...1/2

Quote
 
 

...CBJ still has to extend Seth Jones which will be costly. Also approaching offer sheet time and Jones could be prime target.

It's all playing out pretty much exactly as I've suggested.  We have the cap space and don't need to worry about losing great players at the expansion draft even with another NMC.  If a lot of stuff goes down with teams trying to dump bad contracts and all we have to show for it is a 2nd round pick in 2018, I'm going to be pretty pissed at Shero. 

With that said, my offer to Columbus:  No 11 overall, Second round pick this year, second round pick next year for number 3 overall and Hartnell.  Either that, or its a lottery protected first round pick next year instead of the two seconds.  There's blood in the water, Shero needs to pounce. 

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On Wednesday, April 13, 2016 at 0:41 PM, MantaRay said:

We don't need Stamkos, especially with his asking price and health concerns.

Aren't you the same poster that was also so adamant about how we didn't need Kovalchuk?

I mean, with that track record...

 

(Just joshin' you of course)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, TheMazz said:

Aren't you the same poster that was also so adamant about how we didn't need Kovalchuk?

I mean, with that track record...

 

(Just joshin' you of course)

yeah that's always funny here lol some posters keep going about how we don't need this guy and this guy for wtv reasons that are mostly down the line in 6-7 years.... but here we are every year at the bottom of the league in scoring lol i mean i get it but some cases are extreme

i mean it's really like seeing a starving and dying african kid saying he doesn't want cake cause there's sugar in it and he doesn't want to risk eating sugar cause he doesn't want to be diabetic later. You won't be alive later ! 

i'm just poking around though, don't take this 100% serious lol

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/15/2016 at 9:48 PM, Devils Pride 26 said:

Not public yet. Friend of a friend. But they are definitely a 21st century reporter. Regarding Twitter + tech. In a lot of ways Chere was a bit of a Luddite. Total 180

Is whoever it is going to be in place by the draft/FA or are we waiting till September?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

yeah that's always funny here lol some posters keep going about how we don't need this guy and this guy for wtv reasons that are mostly down the line in 6-7 years.... but here we are every year at the bottom of the league in scoring lol i mean i get it but some cases are extreme

i mean it's really like seeing a starving and dying african kid saying he doesn't want cake cause there's sugar in it and he doesn't want to risk eating sugar cause he doesn't want to be diabetic later. You won't be alive later ! 

i'm just poking around though, don't take this 100% serious lol

That's actually a really good analogy lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is interesting coming from one of Edmonton's beat writers:

 

Quote
 
 

Can't help but think NJD and Oilers could be a fit. Severson a RS D with big upside, Devils desperate for offence, plenty of cap space.

From what I can tell, he doesn't post a ton of speculation, so maybe's there's some smoke here.  I want no part of Eberle, especially if it means Severson is going the other way. 

One idea would be 11 overall and Severson for Hall and Edmonton's second.  Edmonton gets someone who they would have to calculate will be a first pairing defensemen if they're trading for him in the first place, they get Hall's replacement at number 4 and can draft someone else good at 11. 

From our standpoint, if Taylor Hall were sitting somewhere ahead of us at the draft, you would trade Severson and 11 overall to move up to get him.

The ultimate bit of awesomeness would be if then Shero trades a second rounder and someone expendable like Helgeson for the Datsyuk contract and 16 overall.  I know Holland says it's untouchable, but there are maybe 3 suitors for the thing.  Not to mention that it looks like Buffalo will be throwing its hat into the Stamkos sweepstakes, so they need all the cap space they can get.

Edited by Daniel
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's no way that 11+Severson gets you Hall.  And again this is the real problem with any Severson trade is that most teams are not going to pay for his potential, even though it's sky-high, simply because he was a 2nd round pick.  I'd consider iterations of RNH deals - RNH + Fayne + Korpikoski for Severson+Helgeson sort of things - but I doubt Edmonton is willing to do that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

Why not Eberle. Daniel?

He's one of those guys that if he isn't scoring goals he isn't doing much else.  I see him as a glorified P.A. Paranteau.

Not saying he's worthless, but a young defenseman with a ton of upside is way too much to give up for someone like that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Parenteau is more of a passing forward who can get some goals if he gets enough shots.   Eberle is a shooter and not much else.  He doesn't play the defensive side well at all at forward.  

He's also not great along the boards or when the puck isn't on his stick.  People got excited because he was very productive early but the rest of his game hasn't caught up or developed or he hasn't committed himself to it.

I think we could get a better player or prospect for Severson than Eberle.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not a fan of moving him but this is the first time I've actually seen Severson's name listed as being available.   

http://www.tsn.ca/shattenkirk-vaults-to-top-of-tsn-trade-bait-list-1.512905

The smoke around Severson has been rising the last few days... And you know what they say about smoke... All I'll say is if we move him, the return better be Palmieri-like, or I'll riot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The smoke around Severson has been rising the last few days... And you know what they say about smoke... All I'll say is if we move him, the return better be Palmieri-like, or I'll riot.

On HF boards (yes I know) one of the posters who I guess evaluates prospects, said he was at the draft last year and the talk among journalists was that Shero was trying to trade for Edmonton's pick that the Isles ultimately got to draft Barzal and that the name that "came up" was Severson.  Isn't clear whether that's who the Oilers wanted and Shero said no, or if it was the other way around.  If there's any truth to the story, it would make the recent Edmonton/Severson rumors/speculation much more plausible, and my guess is that Shero has his eyes on one of the bigger names like RNH, Hall or Draisatl.  If Shero really was looking for Eberle and Severson was going the other way, I think Edmonton would have jumped at it.

Whatever the case, I pray that if Shero/Hynes think that Severson has a "bad attitude" that there's someone else in the room that yells "Tyler Seguin trade" repeatedly until they get the point. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If it's a deal with Edmonton, I hope it's around Drai or Hall. I'd be willing to add for one of them but I don't think it would be worth adding onto to Severson for RNH. Not enough of an improvement over what we have down the middle already. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Daniel said:

On HF boards (yes I know) one of the posters who I guess evaluates prospects, said he was at the draft last year and the talk among journalists was that Shero was trying to trade for Edmonton's pick that the Isles ultimately got to draft Barzal and that the name that "came up" was Severson.  Isn't clear whether that's who the Oilers wanted and Shero said no, or if it was the other way around.  If there's any truth to the story, it would make the recent Edmonton/Severson rumors/speculation much more plausible, and my guess is that Shero has his eyes on one of the bigger names like RNH, Hall or Draisatl.  If Shero really was looking for Eberle and Severson was going the other way, I think Edmonton would have jumped at it.

Whatever the case, I pray that if Shero/Hynes think that Severson has a "bad attitude" that there's someone else in the room that yells "Tyler Seguin trade" repeatedly until they get the point. 

If Shero can find a way to make a Severson for RNH deal work using an extra piece or two like our 2nd, Quenneville, Boucher etc, then I think that would be a good move.  If the 11OA has to be added, I hope we move on.     

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

If it's a deal with Edmonton, I hope it's around Drai or Hall. I'd be willing to add for one of them but I don't think it would be worth adding onto to Severson for RNH. Not enough of an improvement over what we have down the middle already. 

You'd have to add to get either of them. Kiss the #11+ goodbye to get Draisaitl or Hall w/ Severson as a part of the package. Potentially a package no one whose of a fan of this team should encourage be done at this point if its Hall. Unrealistic either of them get moved in the first place.

If we're dealing with Edmonton, expect it to be Yakupov or RNH.

I really dislike the idea of offering up Quenneville as a +. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.