Possible "Palmieri-esque" trades for the offseason

insanity_gallops

I thought this could be a fun discussion since the idea was brought up in the "Devils need offense" thread. This is my second attempt at posting it, because for whatever reason my first effort errored and I lost it all. Meh well.

This version will be shorter.

I looked at teams up against the cap or facing tough constraints, and targeted young players under team control for a few seasons at a good contract or approaching RFA status.

Chicago - Teuvo Teravainen. Once heralded as the future offensive catalyst for the club, his spot has been taken by Artemi Panarin. Maybe Chicago looks into moving Andrew Shaw, but he's much more vital to their success than Teravainen. Shero would likely need approval from ownership to take someone like Bickell, too, but if the Devils can get a possible top-6 forward at the expense of burying Bickell in the AHL for a year, it's a good gamble. (...says the poster who doesn't need to shell out $4 million to Bickell)

Tampa Bay - Alex Killorn or Vladislav Namestnikov.  Both are RFA this offseason, and Tampa needs to not only re-sign Stamkos (if they can), but lock up Kucherov... with Johnson, Palat, and Drouin RFA the following season. Killorn's past contract was $2.5 million for a 40-point season... maybe Yzerman thinks that's too rich and moves him. Namestnikov is just buried on the depth chart.

Anaheim - Jakob Silfverberg. Management can't really shake up the core all that much since Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler all have NMC... but Silfverberg got this massive deal following a monster playoff run. He's under team control for 3 more seasons at $3.75 million. He put up 20 goals and 40 points last year, but maybe ANA thinks it's too much $ for the production (similar to Killorn in TB).

Boston - Brett Connolly or Alexander Khokhlachev. Connolly is less likely to be moved since they just dealt for him, but their salary cap situation is rough. Khokhlachev has been unhappy that he hasn't been given a true shot at NHL ice time, and he's still young. Maybe Shero swings a deal and gives him a real shot at making the roster.

• Like 1

I think TB will be fine because I think they lose stamkos. toronto, w/ matthews in tow, is now an attractive option for stamkos if he wants to go home. you know they'll throw money at him. so will detroit (among others). I don't think yzerman wants to give him the 8/80 he's looking for. i think yzerman would give him 8/70. well, there are teams out there that will give him 7/70 so i think he leaves.

khokhlachev has been talked about for years and boston hasn't made that move. i like the idea but it seems like boston just keeps dragging their feet there.

silfverberg - i know anaheim is intent on making changes - i'm not sure they make that move (especially with the devils again)

i did mention tanner pearson in the other thread as a similar type target.

1 hour ago, sundstrom said:

i did mention tanner pearson in the other thread as a similar type target.

Yes indeed, and I saw that. I'd be thrilled to try and pull that off, but I can't see Los Angeles really mortgaging their future to that extent... Pearson and Toffoli are the only young, team-friendly-contract difference makers they have in the forwards corps. Behind them, it's all young prospects that are relative unknowns. So if LA really believes signing Lucic for a full season will be the true difference maker, and they're okay with sacrificing for the future in an attempt to get another cup while their super locked-up core (Kopitar, Quick, Carter, Gaborik, Doughty, Muzzin, Martinez, Brown) are still productive (...well, excluding Brown, it seems), I can't see Lombardi parting with those young guns.

Hopefully you're right and I'm wrong, though!

1 hour ago, sundstrom said:

I think TB will be fine because I think they lose stamkos. toronto, w/ matthews in tow, is now an attractive option for stamkos if he wants to go home. you know they'll throw money at him. so will detroit (among others). I don't think yzerman wants to give him the 8/80 he's looking for. i think yzerman would give him 8/70. well, there are teams out there that will give him 7/70 so i think he leaves.

Agreed about probability of Stamkos leaving - but even if he's off the books, the Bolts have to lock up Killorn (raise on $2.5 million), Kucherov (due significant raise from $700K with 58 goals in his last two seasons), JT Brown (shmeh), Namestnikov (raise from $800K), Paquette (shmeh), and Nesterov. Plus after next season, Tyler Johnson ($3.3 mil), Ondrej Palat ($3.3 mil), Drouin ($900K), Sustr ($1.4 mil) and Vasilevskiy ($900K). Oh, and Tyler Hedman hits his UFA season.

So you're right, Tampa Bay can certainly find a way for next season to fit everyone in -- but I still think they would consider moving a younger player if it meant they could really make a run at Stamkos.

2 hours ago, sundstrom said:

khokhlachev has been talked about for years and boston hasn't made that move. i like the idea but it seems like boston just keeps dragging their feet there.

He's started to make noise that he'll go to the KHL if Boston doesn't give him playing time.  So it looks like Boston will have to sh!t or get off the pot.

My bigger fear is that he really isn't that good.  His AHL numbers are impressive, but he's been given opportunities to stay in the NHL at different times over the past two or three years and evidently hasn't impressed anyone.  

Sorry i_g, started my post this morning, got distracted, then finished it - I never saw yours, otherwiise I would've waited a while to post mine.

I like these players, I'm not sure their teams are ready to give up on them though.  Namestikov would be a good fit.

41 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

which teams are closest to cap hell having to give raises. 

What he said ^ What i think is there will be a few small moves along with a trade nothing splashy 

How about a "why not us" and make a push for Jimmy Vesey. 

saddly i can think of quite a few reasons why it wouldnt be us haha

my guess is that he's gonna sign with the Bruins, homeboy

Yep, I think he already made up his mind on Boston.

On May 1, 2016 at 0:13 PM, Martyisth3b3st said:

I would be genuinely shocked if Toronto doesn't sign Stamkos. 

Aren't they close to cap ceiling? Wouldn't they need to unload quite a few to make room.  Who's going to take Lupul's contract, etc.

i read that apparently Nikita Kucherov is looking for 8 years / 7.5m per.

That's a problem.

That is indeed a problem... Between this, the fact that Johnson and Hedman are gonna need new deals soon, and the Stamkos situation, Stevie Y has his work cut out for him.

I'd like to see JVR here.  He just turned 27 so he's got several good years left in him.  Sign him to a 5-6 year deal at a decent price, put him with the right linemates, and we could have another good forward to round out our top 6.  It doesn't solve our need for more Centers or RW's, but if he or others can be moved around and are versatile like most guys are, it could work out nicely.