Vegas on the verge

MadDog2020

Wonder if they're soliciting names from the citizens?  Is there animal inherent only in Nevada? 

Animals in Nevada include for instance scorpionsmountain lions, snakes, lizards, spiders, wolves, coyotes, foxes, ground squirrels, rabbits, falconsravensdesert tortoise, hawks, eaglesbobcatssheep, deer, pronghorns, geckos, owls, bats, horned toads and more.

I'm kinda biased toward the "pronghorns" (strike fear into the hearts of opposition)

Aces is pretty cool, but what would the logo be, playing cards?  And which ones, Ace of Spades and Ace of Hearts? 

I don't see them going with something like "Gamblers" or "Blackjacks", for two reasons - A) it's too close to gambling and illegal betting, and B), it's too generic.  I could see them going with something like scorpions, hawks, or another regional animal, could be something totally different though, maybe bandits.

Was there ever any demand for hockey in Las Vegas? No. Is it a cold weather city? No. 

It's a transient playground for adults. There is no civic pride, there is no state pride. 

Is Las Vegas surrounded by rings and rings of middle and upper middle class suburbs? (honestly I don't know about their suburban sprawl, would be beneficial to them if it existed) Because these are the people that will make up the bulk of your fanbase. Not some shlub coming in for 3 days to try and recreate "The Hangover" on his bachelor party. He's not going to see the Vegas hockey team because he can just go see the Blackhawks or Canucks any night when he gets home. People go to Vegas not to do things that they can easily do in their home cities.

This hockey team will just become part of the noise that emanates from that city, and it's not going to win out over musicians who have residency's or cirque du soleil or gambling or whatever other seedy stuff goes on there.

People go to Vegas for usually...5 days or less. They will NOT, spend 3-4 hours on one night and hundreds of dollars to watch hockey.

And when the economy dips, Vegas really gets creamed...people just flat out stop going, and it will effect the viability of that hockey franchise more so than any other US franchise. People will go see the Bruins or Rangers or Flyers

And also you have a dead corpse of a franchise being picked at by vultures in Glendale, and they've been in this state for years. You want to try Vegas...just move the Coyotes there. At least that is an existing franchise and you won't have to start from scratch. But no, per usual the NHL doesn't solve easy problems, it simply compounds them.

There will be an expansion fee, and there will be front page stories which you wouldn't get with QC, which like Winnipeg would be a slam dunk but not sexy (and I have no doubt if the NHL wasn't so busy saving Phoenix at that time they would've tried to keep Atlanta on life support too)

Quebec was royally screwed here. Vegas can wait, Vegas doesn't care one way or another. Quebec was where this round of expansion needed to be.

Edited by '7'
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, '7' said:

Was there ever any demand for hockey in Las Vegas? No. Is it a cold weather city? No. 

It's a transient playground for adults. There is no civic pride, there is no state pride. 

Is Las Vegas surrounded by rings and rings of middle and upper middle class suburbs? (honestly I don't know about their suburban sprawl, would be beneficial to them if it existed) Because these are the people that will make up the bulk of your fanbase. Not some shlub coming in for 3 days to try and recreate "The Hangover" on his bachelor party. He's not going to see the Vegas hockey team because he can just go see the Blackhawks or Canucks any night when he gets home. People go to Vegas not to do things that they can easily do in their home cities.

This hockey team will just become part of the noise that emanates from that city, and it's not going to win out over musicians who have residency's or cirque du soleil or gambling or whatever other seedy stuff goes on there.

People go to Vegas for usually...5 days or less. They will NOT, spend 3-4 hours on one night and hundreds of dollars to watch hockey.

And when the economy dips, Vegas really gets creamed...people just flat out stop going, and it will effect the viability of that hockey franchise more so than any other US franchise. People will go see the Bruins or Rangers or Flyers

And also you have a dead corpse of a franchise being picked at by vultures in Glendale, and they've been in this state for years. You want to try Vegas...just move the Coyotes there. At least that is an existing franchise and you won't have to start from scratch. But no, per usual the NHL doesn't solve easy problems, it simply compounds them.

There will be an expansion fee, and there will be front page stories which you wouldn't get with QC, which like Winnipeg would be a slam dunk but not sexy (and I have no doubt if the NHL wasn't so busy saving Phoenix at that time they would've tried to keep Atlanta on life support too)

Quebec was royally screwed here. Vegas can wait, Vegas doesn't care one way or another. Quebec was where this round of expansion needed to be.

Vegas metro area has a population of around 1.9 million, which is about the same as the Columbus metro area.  When the Blue Jackets are good, people show up.  Also a Vegas hockey team will have no competition from other pro sports teams.  Columbus is a two hour drive from both Cleveland and Cincinati and a three hour drive to Pittsburgh.  So they're probably losing some attendance to baseball and basketball, a problem that a Vegas team shouldn't really have.

The other stuff to do in Vegas is pretty much for the tourists.  Locals can only see circ de solei so many times.  Maybe the exception is strip clubs, but sports teams and strip clubs go together like lamb and tuna.

Edited by Daniel

20 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

Wonder if they're soliciting names from the citizens?  Is there animal inherent only in Nevada? 

Animals in Nevada include for instance scorpionsmountain lions, snakes, lizards, spiders, wolves, coyotes, foxes, ground squirrels, rabbits, falconsravensdesert tortoise, hawks, eaglesbobcatssheep, deer, pronghorns, geckos, owls, bats, horned toads and more.

I'm kinda biased toward the "pronghorns" (strike fear into the hearts of opposition)

Make it the Bats, then play the Bat Country clip from Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas before every home game.

My personal favorite is....Sinners

for Sin City.

Although we're so politically correct today I doubt they'll go for it, andI even suspect that the Devils would not be selected today by NJ folks

Would give new meaning to the 'sin bin'. [emoji14]

• Like 1