Adam Larsson traded to EDM for Taylor Hall

SterioDesign

Guys if there was an expansion draft held today and we had to pick between Larsson and Taylor Hall its just a no brainer. Even if our first line was Ovechkin-Crosby-Kane I would take Hall over Larsson. Larsson is an excellent defender but he is not among the top defenseman in the game. With Taylor Hall we get a bonafide top 5 LW. If you think a little bit further too, he is one of the best playmakers in hockey. We have finishers but how many playmakers do we have?

Well, i was never Larsson's biggest fan, always thought he was lacking a few tools to be really worth the 4th overall. He was heading in the right direction lately but he was never gonna be a fast or great skater and would never bring much offensively.

And i've been saying that Shero would be the best guy to take over this team as soon he got fired from Pittsburgh. He's certainly doing things right so far too. Cleaned the team from all the dead weight and got us 2 big steal to boost our first line.

Severson struggled last year but when he first came here to me he was gonna be better than Larsson. Hopefully thats the case and that last year was just a bump.

I haven't seen too much off Hall's body of work in person for me to confirm/deny the success or failure of this trade.  I can just go on what people say about Hall and the game's I have seen him play against us.  Speedy forward, good shot, gritty...but again, haven't seen too much of his complete games to make an assessment. 

Long term I think EDM did well on this trade for various reasons.  Larsson is a good character player and leader, and will help develop along with the other new parts of the EDM team like RNH,  McDavid, Draisatl, Puuljarvi.  While he isn't the second coming of Niclas Lidstrom or Scott Niedermayer, Larsson is a solid d-man who can break out passes for the speedy guys in front of him.  Plus, I think he may be familiar with players like Klefbom so that also helps with the "intangibles."  Let's not make Chiarelli look like a complete idiot here.

From an NJD perspective - "you have to break some eggs to make an omlette."  Larsson was a coveted piece of our defense, so I'm certain it wasn't Shero's first choice to move Larsson.  However, if Hall is dangled in front of you, and all you are taking back is about $2million more in cap space, and a top winger, then you do it.  I'm also certain Shero consulted informally with John Hynes and Adam Henrique about what they thought of Taylor.

Long term it remains to be seen if NJ wins out on this.  If Hall has a fantastic few years, he goes to UFA commanding a huge raise, so I see that as a win for the Devils (in the years he has to prove himself for that very raise) and a win for Hall.  But if hall just teeters around the 66pt mark average for the remainder of his contract, and our average GAA goes up in that time frame, then I don't necessarily think we won out on the trade. 

At worst case scenario, for the duration of both Larsson and Hall's current deals, I think we can call this a NJD win in the trade.  Over the course of the next 10 years though, perhaps Larsson ends up being instrumental in shaping the future of Edmonton's team.

Some of those fvcking dipsh!ts are all 'oh he's only gonna be playing with Henrique, no big'. Little do they know lol.... Stupid bitch Rag fans. [emoji23]

Keep in mind. At this point in his career, Hedman was still budding and finding his game.

It takes a while for these players to mature and Larsson is a special player.

He was dicked around here by PDB, started to find his footing this past season and now he's traded. 

Hopefully Shero gets a quality  defenseman to fill that hole. Because our defense right now is infinitely worse and the Oilers got rid of one of their many, many forwards and added a quality defenseman that they needed desperately. 

We are over valuing Hall and everyone is massively undervaluing Larsson. Sorry.

Taylor Hall and Marc Savard are gonna light it up next year!

I'm a Larsson fan, but I've always wondered how strong a defender he'd be outside the magic bubble that is being partnered with Andy Greene. I wish the best for him. He's going to have very high expectations in Edmonton. Perhaps too high for anyone.

As others have said... You have to make this deal if you are Shero. The Canadian media is losing it up here. 

I will miss Larsson but love the deal.

Edited by devils102

1 hour ago, DevilMinder said:

The more I am thinking about this the more I am smiling. We needed a bonafide #1 line player and we got it. I can't wait to see our reconstituted scoring next season.

The off-season is still young too, Shero is working magic again.

I wonder if Shero will go after another #4, UFA Jason Demers, he's 28, right shot  D... I thought he played well for Dallas in the POs.

3 minutes ago, devils102 said:

Taylor Hall and Marc Savard are gonna light it up next year!

I'm a Larsson fan, but I've always wondered how strong a defender he'd be outside the magic bubble that is being partnered with Andy Greene. I wish the best for him. He's going to have very high expectations in Edmonton. Perhaps too high for anyone

I will miss Larsson but love the deal.

This, without Andy digging out those tough, high stress, behind the net battles. lets see how he fairs now that he's the number one guy

Makes you wonder though. If Shero was working on this deal before the draft, or if he thought it was a good possibility, why he didn't draft a defender with the 11th (12th). Chychrun or Bean might have been the wiser option. 

Could have been a dead deal and someone just changed their minds post draft I guess. Edmonton media made it seem like they had been working on this deal for 16 months, I think it was. Who knows. 

Kind of cool we got both McLeod and Bastion who already play together and have good chemistry. 

Chiarelli on the deal:  " Adam … he's a very smart player and it took him a little while to get going, but he had a terrific year this past year. He moves the puck, he defends well, he can log a lot of minutes, he can play 25, 27, 28 minutes. He can match up against all the top forwards, he can move the puck and he has more skill to show also."

Those are some high expectations !!  

Last Seasons Leaders