Adam Larsson traded to EDM for Taylor Hall

SterioDesign

It's hard to swallow this trade because I was really growing attached to Larsson. It was really nice watching him turn it all around and begin to become the player everyone expected he could be. That said, I suppose the intellectual side of me has to win out here and admit, we need this.

8 hours ago, TheMazz said:

I must be living in bizzaro world.

You're supposed to build from the goaltender out. Give me the offensive hole over a defensive hole any day of the week.

This time next year you'll be saying Chia is a genius. Watch.

Have you not followed the Rangers the past few years? 

pretty even deal if you ask me. Larsson is trending upward and good skating defenseman are hard to come by. At the same time, scoring is at a premium and hall has elite talent. 

Best of luck Lars, been fun watching you become a good d man. 

Welcome Taylor, Rico is waiting for you hahaha 

Mazz is saltyyyyyy :ph34r:

This is a trade that needed to be done. Larsson is a tremendous player but he will never be a true #1 Dman.  Taylor is an elite LW and is 3rd in even strength pts/60 behind only Sidney Crosby and Jamie Benn the last few seasons.

• Like 2

Come to think of it, this trade also helps the Devils in preparing to protect players for the expansion draft. Losing a D and gaining a forward makes protection option A (seven forwards, three defensemen and one goaltender) work a lot better. Before, they probably would have had to choose between Severson, Moore, Greene, and Larsson. Meanwhile, the only forwards that I would say the Devils absolutely needed to protect are Zajac, Cammy, Henrique, and Palmieri. This would have left the Devils with not enough D-spots open to protect players while having more than enough forward spots. It's  more advantageous to trade a valuable d-man for a valuable forward before the expansion draft than after. Now the Devils have five forwards they absolutely need to protect with room for two more, and don't have to worry about losing a valuable d-man (Merrill, if he is resigned, is the best d-man we could lose). I know the roster will change a bit but this thinking most likely would retain its validity no matter what.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Triumph said:

They're right.  Taylor Hall is a 1st line LW capable of scoring 40 goals and Adam Larsson is a shutdown/PK defenseman who can play 23 minutes a night but isn't blowing the doors off.

Hall is probably never scoring 40. This is a tough number to hit in the new dead puck era. 30? Sure. He should be a consistent 25-30, 70 point player.

7 hours ago, '7' said:

Hall is probably never scoring 40. This is a tough number to hit in the new dead puck era. 30? Sure. He should be a consistent 25-30, 70 point player.

Sounds about right. His stats are nice, 328 points in 381 games sounds good. Only two times he didn't score 20 goals he was out half the season. 

Hopefully his injury problems are behind him.