NJs New Need for a Defensive Defenseman

Derlique

The Devils just stole Taylor Hall. However, now they need a PK guy and one thing that worries me is that Shero will overpay for a Lovejoy in UFA. Santini could be a candidate but I don't think he's ready for more than 16-18 mins a night if that. So who could we target?

Anaheim fans seem to be ok with packaging Fowler with Stoner. I'm not too familiar with either of them but seems like the kind of move Shero can pull off. Guess it depends on how much of a raise Fowler will need and how much term Stoner has left.

Calgary might want to shed Wideman?

Shattenkirk would probably cost us a good bit and without an extension I don't know if it's a good idea.

I guess there's always offersheeting but I don't think that's Shero's style.

Winnipeg seems to be in a pickle with the amount of defenders they're going to have to protect for the expansion draft. Maybe something with them?

Edited by Jerzey

the excitement of this trade is definitely carrying into free agency because its almost clear that Shero isn't done.

what concerns me, though, is that i thought i saw a quote in the other thread how Shero said he's going to target an offensive Dman- which is scary considering its Larsson's defense that the team will be missing most

2 minutes ago, Onddeck said:

the excitement of this trade is definitely carrying into free agency because its almost clear that Shero isn't done.

what concerns me, though, is that i thought i saw a quote in the other thread how Shero said he's going to target an offensive Dman- which is scary considering its Larsson's defense that the team will be missing most

The trend now is to look for defensemen that can contribute offensively.  So far as penalty killing, we'll definitely miss Larsson, but maybe not as much as people think.  We had good penalty killing not too long ago when Salvador was leading it (his last year notwithstanding).  I also would be interested to see if Zacha gets penalty kill time.  He's supposed to be that shorthanded goal threat that we've been missing since Kovy left.  I also imagine that Severson should be a decent enough penalty killer, although I don't remember whether he had that role in his rookie year and if he was any good at it. 

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

The trend now is to look for defensemen that can contribute offensively.  So far as penalty killing, we'll definitely miss Larsson, but maybe not as much as people think.  We had good penalty killing not too long ago when Salvador was leading it (his last year notwithstanding).  I also would be interested to see if Zacha gets penalty kill time.  He's supposed to be that shorthanded goal threat that we've been missing since Kovy left.  I also imagine that Severson should be a decent enough penalty killer, although I don't remember whether he had that role in his rookie year and if he was any good at it. 

but shouldn't we look to replace Larsson's defense?

I wouldn't mind giving Luke Schenn a spot in the bottom pairing and hope for a reclamation project without any expectations on him.

Maybe Justin Schultz in the same way  (no pressure on him) and give him some time on the PP as well.

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Shattenkirk seems like an obvious and potential long-term solution, assuming of course we're on his list.

Just wonder what the asking price is at this point.

if you go for Shattenkirk just make sure you understand theres a risk that he leaves for nothing next year.. thats why im not giving up much for him

Shattenkirk seems like an obvious and potential long-term solution, assuming of course we're on his list.

Just wonder what the asking price is at this point.

if you go for Shattenkirk just make sure you understand theres a risk that he leaves for nothing next year.. thats why im not giving up much for him

I am sure a trade would be contingent on an extension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Zubie#8 said:

I am sure a trade would be contingent on an extension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I mentioned this in the Hall/Larsson thread. Apparently, there was a deal in place with Shattenkirk for Hall, but it stalled because Shattenkirk wasn't interested in signing an extension.

Someone on HF just informed me (sorry if you post here too HenriquesJawLine) that Shattenkirk is from New York, played for the Youth Devils, and his youth jersey is actually hanging in the concourse at Pru Center. I really think Shero should make a play for him. He's already said he wants to come out east, he turned down an extension with Edmonton, and he has a history with the franchise.

I think we should consider a 1st. Maybe not 2017 but a 2018 and add. I think he'd agree to an extension.

Edited by Jerzey

4 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

Someone on HF just informed me (sorry if you post here too HenriquesJawLine) that Shattenkirk is from New York, played for the Youth Devils, and his youth jersey is actually hanging in the concourse at Pru Center. I really think Shero should make a play for him. He's already said he wants to come out east, he turned down an extension with Edmonton, and he has a history with the franchise.

I think we should consider a 1st. Maybe not 2017 but a 2018 and add. I think he'd agree to an extension.

could you imagine if you added Hall and Shattenkirk to this team... awesome

2 minutes ago, Toasterleavins said:

Is there a good reason we just don't sign Demers? Don't want to give up assets for Shattenkirk or anyone else in a trade.

We aren't the only ones who will be looking for defense this offseason and he's already been rumored to have talked with Edmonton. If we can't sign two UFA defenders I really think a trade for Shattenkirk is a good idea. He would really fill in Larsson's loss and we wouldn't have to rush Santini.

Greene-Severson

Schlemko-Shattenkirk

Merrill-Moore

Auvitu

Santini

3 minutes ago, Onddeck said:

could you imagine if you added Hall and Shattenkirk to this team... awesome

It would be amazing. Plus since he turned down an extension with Edmonton it would be like a double slap in the face to them.

Edited by Jerzey

Can anyone tell me if the Pens had a "stud" Dman on their team other than Letang?  I hardly think Daley / Matta / or Schulz are "studs," and yet they won the cup.  My point is, if we can get some good coaching behind the corps we have now, there is no reason why we can't be equivalent to the defense that the Pens had that won the cup, or to the Sharks for that matter that got to the cup final.

After listening to the Shero conference call about Hall, when he was asked about filling Larsson's role he wouldn't specify anyone in particular as far as free agency but Santini and even Jacobs' name came up a few times. I guess he's pretty high on Jacobs.