So how did we do today?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. So how did we do today?

• Awful!
    • Status quo
    • Good
    • Better than I expected

14 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I'm at the point where I hope it's a 7 year deal. Seems like most players are signing those type of commitments, and to have our 3 best offensive players (Hall, Rico and Palms) locked up for the next 4+ years each would be really nice to build around.

I would give Palmieri 7 years, 5.5m, but up to 6m if I needed it to get the deal done.   It would be nice to know those 3 are locked up for the foreseeable future. 

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I would give Palmieri 7 years, 5.5m, but up to 6m if I needed it to get the deal done.   It would be nice to know those 3 are locked up for the foreseeable future. 

I think you're being very generous. He had a good season w/ 30 goals, but one monkey don't stop no show. I think it'll be in mid 4's.  Term is OK, he's 25.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I may be being too generous. But as a GM, my players love me!!!

Until you trade them due to cap issues ;)

But yeah Palmieri won't get that deal. I'd guess around 5 years for term so he gets another crack at cashing in when he's 30.

22 minutes ago, Marshall said:

But yeah Palmieri won't get that deal. I'd guess around 5 years for term so he gets another crack at cashing in when he's 30.

I wouldnt mind a 5 year deal. Maybe 5 years 5 per

1 hour ago, Marshall said:

From the player's POV, that makes total sense. Especially one without a sordid injury history. 

Not sure this is the correct thread but, I'm wondering if we're in the mix with Vadim Shipachyov? I thought I saw he has another year in K before he's able to come here to whomever. He's a lefty.  Thoughts out there had him going to Caps to play with countrymen.

4 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

Not sure this is the correct thread but, I'm wondering if we're in the mix with Vadim Shipachyov? I thought I saw he has another year in K before he's able to come here to whomever. He's a lefty.  Thoughts out there had him going to Caps to play with countrymen.

he's been linked to MTL for awhile so i think he's gonna end up there saddly

21 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

From the player's POV, that makes total sense. Especially one without a sordid injury history. 

I think they'll come down around 4-6 years at 4-5m. Gives the team value in the tail end of his scoring prime, doesn't commit to years during his likely drop off and Palmieri can earn 1-3 new contracts after this one.

On 7/4/2016 at 9:09 PM, Marshall said:

I think they'll come down around 4-6 years at 4-5m. Gives the team value in the tail end of his scoring prime, doesn't commit to years during his likely drop off and Palmieri can earn 1-3 new contracts after this one.

Shero reads NJDevs.com!

• Like 6

On 7/4/2016 at 3:09 PM, Marshall said:

Gives the team value in the tail end of his scoring prime, ...

Serious question. Growing up I always considered "prime sports years" as 28 to 32. But the last year or so I keep hearing like 24 to 28 for "prime hockey" years. Is this a new thing?

6 hours ago, oat77 said:

Serious question. Growing up I always considered "prime sports years" as 28 to 32. But the last year or so I keep hearing like 24 to 28 for "prime hockey" years. Is this a new thing?

I believe this started to be discussed ~3-4 years ago when rate stats (points/60 minutes etc) became a thing. Point totals might be higher in later years because of ice time, coaches not trusting young guys (though that is changing) or wanting to play the guy you signed to the big ticket.

Here's a good piece on the topic: http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2014/3/13/5500522/nhl-scoring-stats-rates-age-analysis

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2014/3/17/5507218/nhl-stats-aging-curves-forward-types

But basically, forwards hit their peak in terms of production (per hour) and possession impact around 22-26, so when they are in the last year of their ELCs or in their RFA years. Then we can expect them to maintain around ~90% of that until they're 30. Then other factors (playing style for example) comes into play. 

Some guys age gracefully, others not so much. Big heavy power forwards usually go off a cliff pretty brutally, which is why the Lucic deal has gotten so much flak. Compare that to guys like the Sedins or other players who play a less taxing style, more built on vision and hands than being overpowering or really fast and they tend to age better.