Devils release development camp roster

Triumph

1 hour ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

Also of note: Freehold Township product Zach Berzolla getting an invite.

Good for him, coached against him a few times. Type of kid you had to gameplan around. Pretty rare being a defenseman. Hope he succeeds. 

Just talked to a friend of mine about him.  Says he's a great kid, stud defenseman (don't know if that translates to NHL stud), and has a full ride to Denver.  He also didn't play his Senior year at Freehold Township HS.  Probably so as to not get injured is my guess.

I'll be keeping an eye on him.

52 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Just talked to a friend of mine about him.  Says he's a great kid, stud defenseman (don't know if that translates to NHL stud), and has a full ride to Denver.  He also didn't play his Senior year at Freehold Township HS.  Probably so as to not get injured is my guess.

I'll be keeping an eye on him.

My guess is it to do with conflicts with club hockey. Kids in the local junior leagues have tough decisions to make in terms of commitment. Lot of scheduling conflicts.

12 minutes ago, Bibby89 said:

Didn't Gross take over for him? He's at least writing for the Fire & Ice blog now...

He covers the obvious stories here and there but I don't know if he's actually attending things in person like development camp to give us those kinds of updates. 

• Like 1

On 7/11/2016 at 10:02 AM, roomtemp said:

Are they doing an open scrimmage this  year?

From Fire & Ice:  

" Today is apparently devoted to drills  while there will be  a three-on-three tournament on Wednesday and a full scrimmage on Saturday. Wednesday and Saturday's sessions are open to the public with tickets available on the Devils' team web site.

Today, Thursday (off-ice workouts) and Friday are closed to the public."

Here's where you can get tickets:  http://devils.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=113552&navid=DL|NJD|home

Nice that for the 2nd year in a row the team is not treating this camp like Area 51 and allowing fans to watch.  Great and simple way to engage the fans and get them excited for the season to begin.  Fans that are excited means more likely there will be more butts in the seats.  Never understood why Lou was such a hard-ass about Rookie camps being private.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

Nice that for the 2nd year in a row the team is not treating this camp like Area 51 and allowing fans to watch.  Great and simple way to engage the fans and get them excited for the season to begin.  Fans that are excited means more likely there will be more butts in the seats.  Never understood why Lou was such a hard-ass about Rookie camps being private.

Why was Lou such a hard-ass about *everything*?!?!?!?

5 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Lou could never seem to evolve with the times when it came to fan relations. He still believed in the old school ideas of hiding the team away. 

He was able to get away with a lot as long as the team remained competitive (and as we know, it did for a long long time)...once the playoff appearances stopped, to many he became a humorless out-of-touch stick-in-the-mud who couldn't adapt (or simply refused to).  I think in some ways he tried to, but lack of homegrown talent forced him to start going through channels he wasn't comfortable with, and he just got so far away from his MO that I think he simply no longer had any real plan in place.  The organization always seemed to take on his best and worst traits while he was here:  lots of on-ice success, but the organization itself often felt cold and distant, and completely indifferent to its fanbase.  The team threatening to leave NJ during its first Cup run kind of said it all.  The tandem of McMullen and Lou wasn't exactly full of warm-and-fuzzies. 

At any rate, I like that things have changed, and that the organization seems to be much more accessible now.  Wouldn't trade the past for anything (it was awesome), but the present just "feels" right, factoring in everything...when the team isn't making the playoffs (and is a tough watch, as this team has been in recent seasons), the franchise trying to find ways to improve the overall fan experience is important.  They've tried to do that...they've had clear missteps here and there (the initial goal-song goof reeked of stuffed suits not really knowing much about its fanbase and making a by-the-numbers decision), but on the whole I think they've tried hard to make this transition period less painful that it could have been. 

• Like 1

I think people like me (or a young me) might have ruined it for you guys. I used to go to SMA when they had open practices and bother the players for autographs afterwards. Now something like the rookie camp is a little different but I'm guessing that has a lot to do with Lou's open practice policies. 

1 hour ago, Jerzey said:

I think people like me (or a young me) might have ruined it for you guys. I used to go to SMA when they had open practices and bother the players for autographs afterwards. Now something like the rookie camp is a little different but I'm guessing that has a lot to do with Lou's open practice policies. 

Well no. Every. Single. Team. in the league does it and every year 16 teams makes the playoffs and every year one team wins the cup. It doesn't change anything in the end.