Lets talk roster

Jas0nMacIsaac

1 hour ago, Jerzey said:

Does anyone know who or what kind of player played on the right side of Hall/Henrique in juniors? 

From what I could dig up, it sounds like Greg Nemisz & Eric Wellwood.  

TG article saying it was Nemisz:  http://fireandice.northjersey.com/fire-ice-1.174987/former-junior-linemate-taylor-hall-not-surprised-by-adam-henrique-s-rookie-success-with-the-devils-1.92995

SI article saying it was Wellwood:  http://www.si.com/nhl/2012/07/20/taylor-hall-adam-henrque-spitfires-reunion

Neither lasted long in the NHL - according to Wiki, they're both OHL assistant coaches now FWIW... 

Hall Henrique Palmieri

Cammalleri Zajac Bennett

Boucher Zacha DSP

Blandisi Fiddler Kalinin

For the defense:

Greene Severson

Santini Lovejoy

Moore Merrill

If we can sign a, Hudler for example though, he would go on the first line and Kalinin would be our extra forward. 

27 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

From what I could dig up, it sounds like Greg Nemisz & Eric Wellwood.  

TG article saying it was Nemisz:  http://fireandice.northjersey.com/fire-ice-1.174987/former-junior-linemate-taylor-hall-not-surprised-by-adam-henrique-s-rookie-success-with-the-devils-1.92995

SI article saying it was Wellwood:  http://www.si.com/nhl/2012/07/20/taylor-hall-adam-henrque-spitfires-reunion

Neither lasted long in the NHL - according to Wiki, they're both OHL assistant coaches now FWIW... 

Man thanks for posting that. There were some awesome quotes from both Henrique and Hall talking about how they had such great chemistry. And that was after they had been separated. 

Seems like Nemisz scored a lot with them too but neither talked about him too much. Not sure what style of game he played. Maybe a DSP type of player is a perfect linemate for them. He can get a lot of "garbage" goals playing with them. 

Still want to see what Hall-Henrique-Palmieri can do but maybe that's best saved for the 1st power play unit. Spread out the even strength scoring more.

Edit - I've read the second article now and this is what Henrique said about Wellwood. I'm trying to remember DSP's speed and board work.

"Wellie was always a guy who played bigger than he was and Adam was a pretty thick kid," says Hall, who used his high-end ability to create scoring chances. "I just tried to finesse my way through the junior level."

Henrique developed into an offensively dangerous two way center and Wellwood became known for his speed and hard work along the boards. Each forward complemented the other, but what separated them from all-star lines of the past was how close they were off the ice.

Edited by Jerzey

3 minutes ago, Bibby89 said:

NHL Network team breakdown showed the lines as these for now. Not so sure about Boucher being there but I'm not against them either. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I think I like the lines that way, though I still find Boucher to be questionable. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bibby89 said:

NHL Network team breakdown showed the lines as these for now. Not so sure about Boucher being there but I'm not against them either. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Seeing Zacha with Josefson is very intruiging.  I like Josefson on the wing and at center, but maybe Josefson can produce with shooters such as DSP and Zacha. This is what I predict the starting lineup to look like come opening night.  Santini hopefully will stabilize Moore on the d end and like I stated earlier, Shero is showing a lot of faith in Merrill bouncing back and I'm still not very thrilled having Lovejoy in the top 6, but it will have to do.  Maybe there's another gem on defense that were missing. 

I'm not super-worried about Boucher, he's shown some promise, just has to stay strong on the puck and shoot playing with Henrique and Hall.  

6 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

Isn't Merrill out till like November recovering from surgery? We might see Mozik or Helgeson start the season if that's true.

Oh that might be true.  I'd be down for some Mozik. 

I would like to amend my statement on Shero's confidence in the defense.  He must have a pretty good deal of faith in most of those lower pairing guys such as Merrill, Mozik, and Jacobs with the Larsson trade.  Jacobs gives you that extra safety for sure because he has plenty of time to develop this year and next in the A.  

I actually really like those lines, but I would probably switch Bennett and Boucher to start. And even then, Blandisi probably takes Boucher's spot anyway. I agree that the Josefson-Zacha line is interesting. It's worth trying JJ at wing to see if there's any more offense there. Regardless, I would be pretty happy with these lines on opening night.

15 hours ago, Triumph said:

They have to pay a transfer fee.  They've not done that, and they've made no indication that they will do that.  I believe transfer fees for non-KHL leagues are like $125,000?  Maybe more?  It's not nothing.  

If he'd been drafted and signed out of Sweden it'd been $240 000. 

Man, I am so excited for preseason to get here. Would love to see Hudler brought in on that right side to play w Henrique and Hall. He was a ppg player just two years ago and has a manageable salary...I'm surprised he's still unsigned.

58 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I have no interest in a Zacha-Josefson pairing, because I want Zacha playing with line mates who don't suck at offense. Don't set the kid up to fail by sticking him with Josefson.

I think it might work. Recall that Josefson typically hasn't had the best linemates to work with.

I think it might work. Recall that Josefson typically hasn't had the best linemates to work with.

Josefson is an offensive black hole. He's a nice sometimes 3rd/mostly 4th liner... But that's it. I want Zacha to play with players that will help him establish confidence. Josefson isn't the type of guy to do that.

I firmly believe Josefson is a "3rd line black hole" because he's been stuck on the 3rd line with offensive ball-and-chains his entire career. He shows flashes of ability and skill in the shoot out. If he had a decent playmaker at center, or literally anyone other than a Gionta or Rutuu type for more than 1 game, I think he'd produce.

He can't finish... For some reason he's good in the shootout, but he lacks the ability to finish in actual game situations. He is what he is at this point.

41 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

He can't finish... For some reason he's good in the shootout, but he lacks the ability to finish in actual game situations. He is what he is at this point.

Yup. I have given up on him ever being anything at this point. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Josefson is an offensive black hole. He's a nice sometimes 3rd/mostly 4th liner... But that's it. I want Zacha to play with players that will help him establish confidence. Josefson isn't the type of guy to do that.

While this is true, and while he has had his chances and you don't expect him to be much better.  I expect Zacha to make him better.  Where else does Josefson end up with Fiddler locked into 4th C and Gadzic likely taking 4LW spot.  

Josefson, while a complete black hole offensively still has very good possession numbers on a Devils team last year that ranked near last in the league in puck possession.  Josefson should be in the lineup as well considering the contract he just signed.  I don't expect him in the A.  Maybe Shero likes him as a 13th guy??? 

No Boucher vic? 

I'd really like to see Elias come back, I just don't think he fits. I think he still has something to offer on the third line too and the PP. I think he'd a non-back-to-back player I think he's worth having around in case they want to give Blender, Boucher or Zacha a night off. I think he'd be a good mentor to the kids as well. I also think if he's up to speed but we're not in the playoff mix - he can be used for a pick.

57 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

No Boucher vic? 

I'd really like to see Elias come back, I just don't think he fits. I think he still has something to offer on the third line too and the PP. I think he'd a non-back-to-back player I think he's worth having around in case they want to give Blender, Boucher or Zacha a night off. I think he'd be a good mentor to the kids as well. I also think if he's up to speed but we're not in the playoff mix - he can be used for a pick.

All indications are that Elias only wants to come back here, so I doubt very much that he would be traded.   I also assume he'd have an NMC.

1 hour ago, Triumph said:

All indications are that Elias only wants to come back here, so I doubt very much that he would be traded.   I also assume he'd have an NMC.

I would be very much against bringing back a guy who has played here for 20 years and then trading him for a pick. If they sign him, let him try to play, if he winds up hurt again, which I fully expect, let him retire a Devil.

Anyone hear anything about the status of his contract? I'm assuming he wants to on his end, otherwise he'd just retire. 

EDIT: As if on cue...

https://www.nhl.com/news/patrik-elias-devils-to-communicate/c-281151060

Edited by mfitz804

As much as I'm not sold on Bennett in the top line RW spot, I think that's probably where he fits best right now. If he really is as injury prone as he appears this season, we have kids in the minors or lower in the lineup can get their shot if/when he gets hurt.

Hall - Henrique - Bennett
Cammalleri - Zajac - Palmieri
Boucher - Zacha - Blandisi
Fiddler - Josefson - Smith-Pelly
Kalinin, Pietila

Either Bennett produces and the trade for him pays off in spades, or when he gets injured that's when one of Bouch, Blender, or JQ can get their shot up there on the top line.