Lets talk roster

Jas0nMacIsaac

5 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

But if it were possible for other teams, it wouldn't have? 

Correct, I think if Shero was going to do it, he would have been aggressive and done it already. 

2 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

He can't sign anywhere til Aug 15

Well, if that's the case, then everyone is probably waiting to see if they can get the extension. 

11 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Don't know where else to put this, but I just bought two tickets for the fiancé and I to see Taylor Hall's first game as a Devil down here in Florida! 

Awesome, are you not too far from the arena? 

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 11:43 AM, Martyisth3b3st said:

I just moved to the Vero Beach area; I'm about an hour+half from Sunrise. Not close, but definitely doable. 

I used to drive there from Key West. It was brutal, but worth it... we'd even drive up to troll games when they'd play other metro teams... NYI, PHI... some of the most fun games I've been to honestly. Sitting directly behind the penalty box for like $20 a seat, lol. Nice arena too.

• Like 1

Panthers are going to be even better this year. New jerseys (which I think are pretty cool) a very good D corp & quite a few offensive minded fw's. My daughter's been & took 2 young kids to a few games (currently lives in Jupiter) . 

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 10:19 PM, Martyisth3b3st said:

Went to the University of Miami for my degree; made the loooooong drive to key west many times. Not fun, unless you're in the back seat drinking rum with a pretty girl on your lap. 

The arena is okay. Can't beat the ticket prices -- for game 7 back in 2011 we were 3 rows from the ice in the corner for $40ish a ticket. Last year we sat on the glass behind the benches for $60. As far as the actual arena and game-day experience, absolutely nothing has beaten Tampa Bay for me. Everything they did was first-class. Spectacularly fan-friendly, well over 50 *different* types of food, pleasant and helpful employees. Florida has a meadowlands vibe for me; and the playoff games took hours to leave that terribly designed parking lot. Ran out of gas, once, from how long we idled. 

I went to Games 1, 2, & 5... but not 7. My ship was getting underway that day, ended up breaking though (of course) and then was supposed to get underway the following day so I didn't want to risk going and having the game go until late at night which would make me miss movement. Naturally it did go to 2OT so it's a good thing I didn't, lol. I'll never stop being bitter that I couldn't go to that though.

I was in Tampa once for dry dock during the playoffs but unfortunately the Bolts didn't make the playoffs that season. I visited the arena and got a shot glass at the team store but wasn't able to see a game unfortunately.

I'm back in Jersey now and have seasons here though... maybe we'll make the playoffs soon before the Coast Guard moves my ass again.

On 7/22/2016 at 10:19 PM, Martyisth3b3st said:

Went to the University of Miami for my degree; made the loooooong drive to key west many times. Not fun, unless you're in the back seat drinking rum with a pretty girl on your lap. 

The arena is okay. Can't beat the ticket prices -- for game 7 back in 2011 we were 3 rows from the ice in the corner for $40ish a ticket. Last year we sat on the glass behind the benches for $60. As far as the actual arena and game-day experience, absolutely nothing has beaten Tampa Bay for me. Everything they did was first-class. Spectacularly fan-friendly, well over 50 *different* types of food, pleasant and helpful employees. Florida has a meadowlands vibe for me; and the playoff games took hours to leave that terribly designed parking lot. Ran out of gas, once, from how long we idled. 

Like Jerzey, I've only been to the Panthers stadium once -- enjoyed it quite a bit.  It was for the 2012 playoffs and even though we lost 3-0 that game, I had a great time checking out the arena.  I found it to be pretty clean and up to date.  The bottom level concourse was nicely decorated with history and memorabilia, with some cool stuff from the mid 90s and their Stanley Cup final appearance in '96.  And with it being pretty hard to find a good bagel here sometimes, I REALLY enjoyed going to Brooklyn Water Bagel during intermission.  Found that to be unique and had never heard of it before there.  The only downside really, was the fact that there is NOTHING around the arena at all.  I don't know what people do before or after the game, it must be a pretty big drag not to have any bars or restaurants nearby to go to to pre-game, or afterwards to relax.  The only thing is the Sawgrass Mall which, don't get me wrong, is nice and all, but that's it.  Literally no businesses, no homes, apartments, food places...it's just everglades and the interstate.  Very, VERY weird and kinda depressing.  Granted they did the best they could while I was there and the atmosphere for the playoff game was pretty good, they had some music and DJs on the outside concourse area as you walked up to the stadium and maybe some contest for kids and the usual stuff, but other than that...yeesh.  I shutter to think what it's like on a random Tuesday night during the regular season.

On 7/22/2016 at 11:00 PM, Jerzey said:

I'm in Orlando. Tampa is much closer for me. I've been to Sunrise once, and it is nice down there (had my honeymoon in Boca Raton), but it's like a 3 or 4 hour trip. Tampa is only like 45 minutes.

Damn, had no idea there were a few other people in FL besides me, at least not that close.  I'm in Bradenton/Sarasota.  Def plan to go to both games when they come this year - if you happen to be there let me know and maybe we can say hello. 

On 7/23/2016 at 2:56 AM, Zubie#8 said:

Look at these Floridians in here emoji41.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were smarter to go to a better location, but you can't forget your roots :)

• Like 1

Oh, and back on topic, about the roster... what's the deal with Elias?  Have we re-signed him?  He's still listed on the team site.  Just curious since we're almost in August and you gotta figure team workouts/training will begin soon and then pre-season before you know it.

16 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Oh, and back on topic, about the roster... what's the deal with Elias?  Have we re-signed him?  He's still listed on the team site.  Just curious since we're almost in August and you gotta figure team workouts/training will begin soon and then pre-season before you know it.

Elias is a wait and see.  Had surgery in the off season.

39 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2016/07/devils_still_unsure_of_decision_on_patrik_elias.html

Latest update we've had... Elias supposedly really wants one last year as a Dev otherwise he'll retire. The ball is in Shero's court.

21 minutes ago, bostondevil11 said:

Elias is a wait and see.  Had surgery in the off season.

Gotcha.  Didnt't realize that.  How long ago was it?  I still say it seems optimistic that he'll return, otherwise I figure at this point either he, or the team, or both, would have just made a decision shortly after the end of the season.

3 minutes ago, dmann422 said:

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2016/07/devils_still_unsure_of_decision_on_patrik_elias.html

Latest update we've had... Elias supposedly really wants one last year as a Dev otherwise he'll retire. The ball is in Shero's court.

Ah, that explains it some more.  Thanks.

Not at all surprised that he wants to return or that he only wants to come here - expect nothing else from him knowing the type of guy he is.  A little surprised he used the word "desperately", but I think it just further emphasizes his love for the game, this team, and his determination and pride as a player.  No way in hell a guy like him is going to go out like that, the way last season ended -- injury plagued and incomplete.  Give the guy a last chance at a proper and successful season with good memories, and who knows, maybe one hell of an improable playoff run and a chance at Lord Stanley.

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Like Jerzey, I've only been to the Panthers stadium once -- enjoyed it quite a bit.  It was for the 2012 playoffs and even though we lost 3-0 that game, I had a great time checking out the arena.  I found it to be pretty clean and up to date.  The bottom level concourse was nicely decorated with history and memorabilia, with some cool stuff from the mid 90s and their Stanley Cup final appearance in '96.  And with it being pretty hard to find a good bagel here sometimes, I REALLY enjoyed going to Brooklyn Water Bagel during intermission.  Found that to be unique and had never heard of it before there.  The only downside really, was the fact that there is NOTHING around the arena at all.  I don't know what people do before or after the game, it must be a pretty big drag not to have any bars or restaurants nearby to go to to pre-game, or afterwards to relax.  The only thing is the Sawgrass Mall which, don't get me wrong, is nice and all, but that's it.  Literally no businesses, no homes, apartments, food places...it's just everglades and the interstate.  Very, VERY weird and kinda depressing.  Granted they did the best they could while I was there and the atmosphere for the playoff game was pretty good, they had some music and DJs on the outside concourse area as you walked up to the stadium and maybe some contest for kids and the usual stuff, but other than that...yeesh.  I shutter to think what it's like on a random Tuesday night during the regular season.

Damn, had no idea there were a few other people in FL besides me, at least not that close.  I'm in Bradenton/Sarasota.  Def plan to go to both games when they come this year - if you happen to be there let me know and maybe we can say hello. 

We were smarter to go to a better location, but you can't forget your roots :)

I live exactly 2.5 miles, on the same street, from the Pulse nightclub the shooting was at.

I'm definitely going to try to go to the Tampa game this year. We'll have to try to unite all of the NJDevs Floridians for that one. And whoever wants to make the trip down.

Edited by Jerzey

16 hours ago, Jerzey said:

I live exactly 2.5 miles, on the same street, from the Pulse nightclub the shooting was at.

I'm definitely going to try to go to the Tampa game this year. We'll have to try to unite all of the NJDevs Floridians for that one. And whoever wants to make the trip down.

Holy sh!t.  Well, glad you're OK. 

Yeah man, that sounds fun.  It's coming up quick too, early October.  I'm def in.  Don't know what type of seats I'll be able to afford because money is extremely tight at the moment, but I'll be in the building one way or another lol.

18 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Granted they did the best they could while I was there and the atmosphere for the playoff game was pretty good, they had some music and DJs on the outside concourse area as you walked up to the stadium and maybe some contest for kids and the usual stuff, but other than that...yeesh.  I shutter to think what it's like on a random Tuesday night during the regular season.

At the end of the day, they live in Southern Florida, so it's not too bad haha.. As much as we've got going on around here, leaving Prudential Center on a Tuesday night in February where it's pouring freezing rain and having to catch two trains or buses, etc. to get home is no picnic haha... Montreal, Boston, and Toronto are all nice too, but I'd choose a depressing midseason game in Sunrise, FL over those places any day of the week haha... You can go for a dip in your pool afterwards!

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Holy sh!t.  Well, glad you're OK. 

Yeah man, that sounds fun.  It's coming up quick too, early October.  I'm def in.  Don't know what type of seats I'll be able to afford because money is extremely tight at the moment, but I'll be in the building one way or another lol.

Thanks. I'm not really a night club type of person. Or gay. Not that I couldn't hang at a gay bar for an evening or whatever but any kind of night club is an immediate no for me. sh!t was crazy here for a while though. 

3 hours ago, DJ Eco said:

At the end of the day, they live in Southern Florida, so it's not too bad haha.. As much as we've got going on around here, leaving Prudential Center on a Tuesday night in February where it's pouring freezing rain and having to catch two trains or buses, etc. to get home is no picnic haha... Montreal, Boston, and Toronto are all nice too, but I'd choose a depressing midseason game in Sunrise, FL over those places any day of the week haha... You can go for a dip in your pool afterwards!

True.  I'm not at all saying the lifestyle and place of living isn't better, after all, that's why I live in Florida at the moment :-p It's just that, if I'm going to go to a game, and in this day and age pay a lot of money for a ticket, I generally like to make an evening of it and enjoy my time before and after the game as well, and I just feel like I wouldn't be able to do that down there if I was a Panther's fan. 

3 hours ago, Jerzey said:

Thanks. I'm not really a night club type of person. Or gay. Not that I couldn't hang at a gay bar for an evening or whatever but any kind of night club is an immediate no for me. sh!t was crazy here for a while though. 

Yeah I bet. 

What's the best way to try to organize a Devils/FL meet up for the game?  Just as simple as posting in a thread here, or would an "event" on something like Facebook be better?  I'm not a huge social media guy so I don't know what is the best tool to organize something like that.

On 7/27/2016 at 10:06 PM, Martyisth3b3st said:

It would be a lot of fun to meet some of you guys down here. Had the pleasure of meeting a RWTD, MD and CR last year (and I'm 80% sure I sat next to crasher at the Brodeur banner game, but we weren't introduced and he bounced after the first period..). But I moved back to Florida about a month ago; chased my fiancé and a good job opportunity down to Vero beach so I'll be down here for a while. Can't beat the weather (and the lack of a state income tax.... And the fact that my 2-bedroom a block from the beach is $700/mo) 

Oh yeah.....I had totally forgot....I was wiped out that day and the whole emotion of the Brodeur thing....I just couldn't focus on the game and went home early

...geesh.... $700 a month....not fair :P