Vesey signs with Rangers.

Daniel

10 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

Well, you're pretty on point. If he wants a New York lifestyle, he can go play for the Rangers. You come here to play in New Jersey and live a New Jersey lifestyle.

Newark is a tiny city. I hate the crap places I have to work in, too, but it doesn't make where I live any less appealing. And yes, Newark can be a rough city, but its also a cultural diamond-in-the-rough, an educational hub for a city of its size, and has some of the best restaurants you'll ever eat at. Racial undertones have a lot to do with Newark's reputation; not entirely, of course. Some guy tried selling my buddy and I drugs directly on Broad st. when we went to the season finale in April. Elements like that exist, but it's a Rust Belt city.

I'd be ecstatic to have Vesey. Like others have said, you make the room for him, it doesn't matter what you have to do. But, as others have also said, I think the three other teams on that list appeal to him at a much higher level. If I'm Vesey and have the choice of 30 cities in the US and Canada to go live and play in (assuming every team would sign him, which I'm betting they would), I go play in my hometown. I guess it'd be cool to go play with some buddies or with an organization you have familial ties in, but I think he goes to Boston. Wouldn't be surprised if he ended up in Toronto, but how do you turn down that kind of opportunity? Not everyone thinks the way I do, though.

Well what i meant is more like... signing in NJ is not like... signing in Colorado, Winnipeg or wtv where there's nothing else around it. 

25 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well what i meant is more like... signing in NJ is not like... signing in Colorado, Winnipeg or wtv where there's nothing else around it. 

thats a slippery slope of saying "sign in NJ because we're close to NY.."

11 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

Well, you're pretty on point. If he wants a New York lifestyle, he can go play for the Rangers. You come here to play in New Jersey and live a New Jersey lifestyle.

Newark is a tiny city. I hate the crap places I have to work in, too, but it doesn't make where I live any less appealing. And yes, Newark can be a rough city, but its also a cultural diamond-in-the-rough, an educational hub for a city of its size, and has some of the best restaurants you'll ever eat at. Racial undertones have a lot to do with Newark's reputation; not entirely, of course. Some guy tried selling my buddy and I drugs directly on Broad st. when we went to the season finale in April. Elements like that exist, but it's a Rust Belt city.

I'd be ecstatic to have Vesey. Like others have said, you make the room for him, it doesn't matter what you have to do. But, as others have also said, I think the three other teams on that list appeal to him at a much higher level. If I'm Vesey and have the choice of 30 cities in the US and Canada to go live and play in (assuming every team would sign him, which I'm betting they would), I go play in my hometown. I guess it'd be cool to go play with some buddies or with an organization you have familial ties in, but I think he goes to Boston. Wouldn't be surprised if he ended up in Toronto, but how do you turn down that kind of opportunity? Not everyone thinks the way I do, though.

Newark itself doesn't matter so much to the players one way or the other.  The players either live in the burbs (Zajac, Cammalleri and Schneider live in Short Hills) or in Hoboken, which is where younger players or players on short term deals all seem to live.    

16 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Newark itself doesn't matter so much to the players one way or the other.  The players either live in the burbs (Zajac, Cammalleri and Schneider live in Short Hills) or in Hoboken, which is where younger players or players on short term deals all seem to live.    

Also let's not act like getting into New York City from Newark takes a big effort.

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

You're right, because anything anyone could want or need in a home is in New Jersey. Culture, entertainment, access to the outdoors; our proximity to New York has nothing to do with it.

If we land him, just for the sheer horror on Sabres fans faces would be fvcking worth it for me.

They think they're cup contenders since they got Okposo to play with Eichel. Last I checked, you still need to actually fvcking win games to make the post season.

End rant.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

With plenty of estates away from the Manhattan rat race, but close enough to hit the best of what Manhattan has to offer, here's one I kinda like in Alpine, NJ... lulz:

http://homesoftherich.net/2015/04/hockey-player-ilya-kovalchuks-20000-square-foot-alpine-nj-mansion/

Celebrity list of residents in Alpine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpine,_New_Jersey

You can easily ascertain a plethora of points to prospective talents say, over secondary markets like Buffalo & Winnipeg. This is where Devs management need the marketing/recruitment dept. to sweeten-up their "candy package" in conditioning talent/agents, taking the deal to Newark.

On 7/15/2016 at 0:37 PM, thecoffeecake said:

You're right, because anything anyone could want or need in a home is in New Jersey. Culture, entertainment, access to the outdoors; our proximity to New York has nothing to do with it.

Do you mind expanding on that cause i can't even tell if you're sarcastic or not here lol

but fact is, London and New-York are known to be the 2 greatest cities in the WORLD. That's not my opinion, that's simply the general consensus. So players from all over the world must have that idea too and if they can go there just to say they live in NY i can somewhat understand.

So what i am saying is that all the "perks" that you could have living in NY, you can have those same perks living in Newark since it's less than an hour away. Plus not living directly in NY i'm sure saves you from the down sides of living in NY too.

19 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Do you mind expanding on that cause i can't even tell if you're sarcastic or not here lol

but fact is, London and New-York are known to be the 2 greatest cities in the WORLD. That's not my opinion, that's simply the general consensus. So players from all over the world must have that idea too and if they can go there just to say they live in NY i can somewhat understand.

So what i am saying is that all the "perks" that you could have living in NY, you can have those same perks living in Newark since it's less than an hour away. Plus not living directly in NY i'm sure saves you from the down sides of living in NY too.

There's plenty of nicer/wealthier/more open areas in NJ that are still plenty close to NYC.  Newark overall is pretty iffy (though not quite as bad as its rep).  Of course, Newark is so close to NYC that, if you want everything that comes with living a NYC lifestyle by actually living IN NYC, but choose to be employed by the Devils rather than the Rangers, you can easily do it.  I don't think this crosses many players' minds though...I think for them, NYC = New York Rangers.   

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

There's plenty of nicer/wealthier/more open areas in NJ that are still plenty close to NYC.  Newark overall is pretty iffy (though not quite as bad as its rep).  Of course, Newark is so close to NYC that, if you want everything that comes with living a NYC lifestyle by actually living IN NYC, but choose to be employed by the Devils rather than the Rangers, you can easily do it.  I don't think this crosses many players' minds though...I think for them, NYC = New York Rangers.   

Back when I worked selling shoes in the Short Hills Mall, a lot of the players lived in and around that area, Millburn, West Caldwell, etc. Quite a few times they were my customers, and KD and his wife (but more so his wife) were regulars. 

I once refused Bobby Holik service because he signed with the Rangers as a free agent. 

Those are upscale areas but still under an hour into Manhattan. But, I would imagine, they are more suited toward the older players or guys with families. The younger dudes are gonna want to be in Hoboken. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Back when I worked selling shoes in the Short Hills Mall, a lot of the players lived in and around that area, Millburn, West Caldwell, etc. Quite a few times they were my customers, and KD and his wife (but more so his wife) were regulars. 

I once refused Bobby Holik service because he signed with the Rangers as a free agent. 

Those are upscale areas but still under an hour into Manhattan. But, I would imagine, they are more suited toward the older players or guys with families. The younger dudes are gonna want to be in Hoboken. 

Nice...what did Holik have to say about that?  I don't think I'd want to piss that guy off...

I'm sure Hoboken would appeal to some players (young and old), but not everyone wants to live in congested urban areas (where just parking your damn car is a real bitch).  Some of these guys come from wide-open, sprawling countryside, where living full-time in a place like Hoboken would be a serious shock.  If anything, you can get a nice house with some land and privacy, and trek into Hoboken or areas like it whenever you want.

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Well that's basically what i've been saying or trying to say haha

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Nice...what did Holik have to say about that?  I don't think I'd want to piss that guy off...

In fairness, I did warn him. He came in after the season, before free agency, and I said I get that it's your shot to sign a big deal, and if you have to leave NJ to do it, I understand. But not the Rangers. Sign with the Rangers and you can't shop here anymore. He thought it was hysterical. 

When he came back as a Ranger, I quite vocally asked him to leave. He looked at me like I was nuts (accurate assessment).

My manager(also a Devils fan and my best friend) made me stay in the stockroom while he waited on Holik. I called my friend a traitor as well. 

And yes, he's a big dude, but I ain't scared. 

• Like 2

In fairness, I did warn him. He came in after the season, before free agency, and I said I get that it's your shot to sign a big deal, and if you have to leave NJ to do it, I understand. But not the Rangers. Sign with the Rangers and you can't shop here anymore. He thought it was hysterical. 

When he came back as a Ranger, I quite vocally asked him to leave. He looked at me like I was nuts (accurate assessment).

My manager(also a Devils fan and my best friend) made me stay in the stockroom while he waited on Holik. I called my friend a traitor as well. 

And yes, he's a big dude, but I ain't scared. 

You gave Holik a story to tell lol. I'll bet he hasn't forgotten that. [emoji23]
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

The Holik thing? Really?