Vesey signs with Rangers.

Daniel

I read a while back that Jim Vesey doesn't want his son to deal with the pressures of playing for a big market team. Hopefully Jimmy is taking that to heart and that factors into him potentially signing here, would love to have him. Just anywhere but the Rangers.

It would be really nice to land him, I'm just not holding my breath. But yeah, if it's not us, hopefully he picks Chicago over the Rags.

I didn't realize our Ass't GM Fitzgerald is connected to the Vesey family, that could bode well.

Joining the Rangers is pretty much joining a team on its last thread of survival. Another bad offseason and that team is getting entirely dismantled, Lundqvist included. Kevin Hayes made the mistake of going there with false hopes too. As for the Blackhawks, there's not much you can do to outshine them other than to offer more money and the realization that he'd be 3rd or 4th fiddle over there, if he's lucky (again, that was why Kevin Hayes didn't stay).

Shero's only selling point (and, not saying it will, but it *could* be enough) is that we're on the upswing, and he can be part of that. Joining the Blackhawks may get you a deep playoff run for a couple seasons (but I'm not sure they keep winning too may more Cups), but if he joins the Devils, he's close to home, and he's part of a cast that is meant to contend in a couple years on a consistent basis. 

That "selling point" is tenuous, but it is what it is.

11 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Just read that his dad is battling cancer ?  

Also godamnit... for sure Chicago will get Toews to contact him on the 15th and sh!t like that... how can we do better than that? send him coupons or something?

A beach badge in Sea Girt will put him over the edge. He'll be calling the Rock home. Tom Fitz, he knows the family, he'll give him an offer he can't refuse.

11 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

A beach badge in Sea Girt will put him over the edge. He'll be calling the Rock home. Tom Fitz, he knows the family, he'll give him an offer he can't refuse.

well his actual family is in Boston and Toronto... so not sure how much an uncle or cousin or wtv can persuade you haha

On 8/10/2016 at 8:10 PM, Zubie#8 said:

New Jersey is a wonderful place to live. Would love for everyone around the league to realize this. Yeah it's expensive but this state has everything you can ask for. Everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i mentioned this in the other thread but I was i Edgewater the other week and it was like a part of NJ i've never seen.  Beautiful place, and im sure all those towns along the river are

The only shred of hope I'll cling to is that JV has made it clear he wants to play right away, probably in the top 6 and on the PP (if my memory from an earlier article is correct). We can offer that without too much difficulty as long as Shero and Hynes think it's reasonable. All of these teams can probably afford the max ELC, but what happens in Chicago in two years when it's time for a raise? He could very well end up like Teravainen because those contracts for 19 and 88 aren't going anywhere. As for the rangers, I'm as biased as anyone on here, but they are clearly in decline unless someone helps them with a terrible trade. I can't imagine looking at NJ and NY from a purely hockey perspective and thinking that NY was the way to go. NJ and Toronto have the money, the cap flexibility and young rosters on the upswing. Chicago gives him the best chance at a quick cup.

Let's not confuse Vesey with McDavid or Matthews, but I hope somehow Shero and Fitz can make this work.

I think he's saying NJ a "possible" destination out of respect for Fitzy.  I don't think he's thinking cup in his first year. Money will be the same

wherever he goes. He wants to play, & whichever team has least depth @ LW probably where's he going. Right now, he's not as good a Boucher.

We don't know if he'll be good or another David emma.

Oh he's totally going to be a Devil:  

“I think he would prefer to be under the radar,” Fish said. “He’s not the type of kid who enjoys necessarily being talked about all the time. He’s a good teammate, he’s a good kid. He’s pretty quiet and quietly goes about his business as a hockey player. He’s not afraid of the spotlight or anything like that. He’s a kid that probably prefers to fly under the radar a bit.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/jimmy-veseys-agent-shoots-down-free-agent-favorite-rumors-155422178.html

Honestly from what his agents have said he's looking for, I think we have a better shot than a lot of teams... 

“We’ve looked at depth charts with some teams and talked about them,” Vesey’s agent, Peter Fish, told Stephen Harris of the Boston Herald. “There’s obviously a lot of thought that goes into it: The city, the coach, the GM, the salary structure, how a team treats their players in the second and third contracts down the road.”

I still think he signs with Boston though... 

Per NHL source, #JimmyVesey zeroed in on #Blackhawks & #Devils. That may change, but that's the latest on #VeseyWatch @ESPNNH #StretchRun

The fact the #Devils are in on #JimmyVesey this late is another example of the great job Ray Shero & Tom Fitzgerald are doing there!

27 retweets 38 likes
----------------
Hmm