Vesey signs with Rangers.

Daniel

18 hours ago, Zubie#8 said:

Ha, so with that logic Jacob Josefson is better than Auston Matthews...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SO much better!!

18 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Who cares if anyone is "sold" on him? He's a free top-20 prospect. 

Agreed. 

The Devils are on the upswing. They are well coached and have good players all over the ice and are young. If it was me, I'd want to be apart of that. The Hawks have had a lot of success but could be towards the end of their run. No matter what he does holding out proved to be the right move for him.

also the fact that they said they are looking into how teams are handling their 2nd, 3rd contracts etc etc seems to show that he's really looking long term... and well that plays in our favour cause we have tons of young guys, tons of cap space... and chicago well they've been known for being succesful but they keep having to trade guys away back and forth cause they are fvcked with the cap so not sure that's something i'd want to jump in.

On 8/13/2016 at 6:23 PM, nessus said:

I'm still not quite sold on Vesey

And?

There's nothing to lose if we're his destination, so we don't have to be sold on him. However he immediately slots into our top 3 fwd (Zacha - McLeod - Vesey) prospects before even stepping foot on the ice. There is a reason why theres a lot of noise being made about him. He's only getting a 2 way entry level deal so financially its nothing. Worst case, he doesnt succeed, and bye. Best case he becomes a key player going forward.

The more I think about this, I still think it's Toronto or Boston. There was a lot of talk right after he spurned Nashville that Poile might be building a case for tampering.  I feel like these names are being floated to give the illusion of him sorting through other opportunities throughout the league so that when he does pick his team it seems like it was an open competition, especially if he plans to go to Toronto with Daddy.   I just can't wrap my head around the fact that he would pass on a young small market Nashville team that is closer to competing for a cup just to hit UFA and come to NJ, which is effectively also a small market team in terms of exposure and media attention. 

22 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

also the fact that they said they are looking into how teams are handling their 2nd, 3rd contracts etc etc seems to show that he's really looking long term... 

Lou likes to pay absolute top dollar for his two way middle six wingers so if that's the case, he could be tough to beat.     

9 hours ago, njd3b1ink said:

TG clarified on Twitter that apparently Vesey can't meet with teams or sign a contract until the 16th not the 15th. I don't know why but it seemed like everyone including NHL media was saying the 15th was the day.

Yeah that's strange. Is today (15th) the day he can start TALKING with other clubs, and tomorrow (16th) the day he can sign? Because you're right, everyone's been saying the 15th for months now.

11 hours ago, Lateralous said:

The more I think about this, I still think it's Toronto or Boston. There was a lot of talk right after he spurned Nashville that Poile might be building a case for tampering.  I feel like these names are being floated to give the illusion of him sorting through other opportunities throughout the league so that when he does pick his team it seems like it was an open competition, especially if he plans to go to Toronto with Daddy.   I just can't wrap my head around the fact that he would pass on a young small market Nashville team that is closer to competing for a cup just to hit UFA and come to NJ, which is effectively also a small market team in terms of exposure and media attention. 

Lou likes to pay absolute top dollar for his two way middle six wingers so if that's the case, he could be tough to beat.     

he also likes to play hardball and drag the process too. When a loyal player like Elias comes out and say how much he doesn't like the way his GM deals with contracts, that speaks volume. On that end, Shero has a way better reputation.

So his top cap hit with bonuses will be 3.775m AVV and the Blackhawks, Rangers and Leafs don't even have that much cap space. So mayyyybe that could discourage him from joining a team under such a tight cap. 

Edited by SterioDesign

11 hours ago, Lateralous said:

His dad is in the Toronto organization but he doesn't live in Toronto. 

It's very weird how people just assume stuff like 'I don't know why he doesn't want to go to Nashville' like the experience of living in Nashville is limited to playing for the hockey team, full stop,  Maybe he just doesn't want to move to Nashville.  Maybe he doesn't like the GM.  There's a myriad of reasons that could exist because this is a rare opportunity within the CBA.

We know the Devils are in on the process or believe themselves to be simply because Shero was spotted at one of his games a week ago.  

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

he also likes to play hardball and drag the process too. When a loyal player like Elias comes out and say how much he doesn't like the way his GM deals with contracts, that speaks volume. On that end, Shero has a way better reputation.

So his top cap hit with bonuses will be 3.775m AVV and the Blackhawks, Rangers and Leafs don't even have that much cap space. So mayyyybe that could discourage him from joining a team under such a tight cap. 

I like Elias very much (what Devil fan doesn't), but he should remember that Lou also signed him to a pretty fair one-year contract when no one knew how his hepatitis was going to affect him that season, and signed him right away to a pretty hefty deal when he went UFA the first time (when Elias would've been a Ranger if not for Sather refusing to include a no-trade clause).  Lou also signed Elias to that 3-year, $16.5 million, lifetime-achievement, "Thanks for everything" contract that, let's face it, the Devils have gotten a pretty lousy return on.  Not really praising or knocking either party...more saying that, as far as contracts go, Lou's been fair to Elias...Patrik doesn't have that much to bitch about, from that respect.  As far as getting Elias players to complement his talents and get the most out of him...I think that's where you can criticize Lou. 

Also not like all of Lou's negotations were all about the hardballing (though those were the ones that people remember).  Some were actually relatively quick.  He usually went the hardball route when he had more of the power (with young players who didn't have much in the way of rights, during prior CBAs, etc).  When he didn't have it, there were times where he'd step up, like with Elias and Niedermayer (yeah, he lost him, but he offered him the max, and pretty quickly)...and he took care of Rafalski and Madden when he had to...and some guys, like Rafalski, were actually willing to wait on Lou because they enjoyed being here that much (Rafalski waited patiently until Niedermayer's situation was resolved).  If you want to say that prior hardballing left a bad taste in some players' mouths, sure, that probably happened on occasion.  Not everyone liked they way that they were treated by Lou. 

As for Shero's rep...to tell you the truth, I think he's building his rep HERE.  I think with Pittsburgh, he was kind of seen as this guy who inherited a hell of a lot of talent, so he doesn't get that much credit for what took place under his watch...to many, he was along for the ride   If he turns THIS team into a contender (and so far in what is still the early going, I think we're all very encouraged and happy with the results...it's impossible not to like the Palmieri trade and subsequent signing, or the Taylor Hall deal), then I think Shero will have proven a hell of a lot.  There will be a lot of "See, Shero CAN take a team from just about bottom and build it up."  Sure, the initial clean-up can be pretty easy (it's not hard for an incoming GM to dump the other guy's trash, and there was no one truly god-awful contract on the books...by that I mean no 10+ year, $100 million disasters, thanks to Kovy bailing).  But finding the building blocks can be a lot tougher.  Shero at least has me feeling optimistic again.  Like I've said elsewhere, I think we just have to get through one more year (mostly because I don't trust guys the Devils need to stay healthy, like Cammalleri, will be able to), and this team will be battling for a playoff spot again.   

1 minute ago, BostonNala370 said:

Confusing, some say Devils still in and others say Devils out. 

the medias are just guessing. The kid said he wanted to wait til he talked to all the teams. Why would his mind change every day if he didn't even get the pitch from teams? it's ridiculous.

2 hours ago, redruM said:

Todays the Day, super excited about the announcement...

He cannot even talk to anyone until midnight of the 16th. Today is just the last day the Sabres have exclusive rights.

Tomorrow likely isn't even the day if he's taking meetings etc. I don't think this is over til Thursday or Friday.

"Vesey and his agents, Peter Fish and Peter Donatelli, will conduct interviews with teams in Boston on Tuesday and Wednesday. A decision is expected by the end of business hours on Friday at the latest, sources tell ESPN.com.

The New Jersey Devils, New York Rangers and Toronto Maple Leafs are strong contenders as Vesey, who played for Harvard, prepares for free agency, sources said. The Buffalo Sabres, Pittsburgh Penguins, Chicago Blackhawks, New York Islanders and Boston Bruins are also on that list."

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/17308503/nhl-jimmy-vesey-decided-short-list-teams-becomes-free-agent