Vesey signs with Rangers.

Daniel

it is strange, but... i like this expirience

last 4 years were like - 

we doesnt in playoff again... ok. this good one player goes away. this good player goes away for nothing. this one. marty play in stl blues... damn..

oh! we make a good trade.  palmieri looks fine! another one! dsp looks way better than ranger`s son.

and now we wait for desicion of young and talented guy to the end and it was looking like we PRETEND for something. for somehting that other big clubs pretend too. more or less on equal terms.

good thing.

Edited by Guadana

2 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

So a kid that was basking in attention for months after publicly embarassing the Preds after the trade deadline picks the Rangers where he'll get the most attention and endorsement deals.  Color me shocked.

Exactly this +1

• Like 1

I don't get the love the Rangers get from players. I think there are more players, Gomez, Richards, Gaborik, Holik etc,. who have gone and fizzled with them than actually been successful. I would even find it hard to say the guys who went to NYR during their last cup were successful because they were with the Rags since it was basically the Oilers east that won the Cup in 1994.

1 hour ago, LittleBallofHate said:

This reminds me of the summer of 2009 when the Devils and Rangers were after Hobey Baker winner Matt Gilroy... he signed with the Rags.  Remember him?  Probably not... he's playing in Russia now... 

I was thinking this the whole time.

8 hours ago, titans04 said:

always funny to see the stepchild like bitterness,  Get over it already,  Worry about our own ongoing issues. He wasn't going to make or break this team or the rags for that matter,  I'm guessing he considered the clown show in Brooklyn for maybe a second or two as well.

Always funny to see the same posters bitch and moan about our own fans. What a shame that some Devils fans actually hate everything to do with their biggest rival across the Hudson. 

• Like 3

As much as I would have liked the free asset, and as nice as it is to be a candidate for any coveted free agent, we are actually pretty set on LW anyway. Now way he would be getting too 6 minutes anytime soon, on LW at least. Sure we could have forced one of our LW's to the right side but that doesn't always work (Kovy). 

It's funny how quickly I went from hoping we get him to disliking him and his sh!tty decision making.

Meh...the Rangers are always going to have a certain sex appeal, just by sheer virtue of their location, and the building they play in (doesn't matter if that building isn't really anything that special...some people just hear and see "New York" and think "OMG, I just HAVE to play there...it's the ultimate!")  Doesn't matter how good or bad the team is, there will always be players who can't wait to sign with the Rangers.  I'll never get it...I would if the Rangers had a Yankee-like tradition of success (a lot of their fans seem to think that), but they're much more Chicago Cubs in that regard.  And it looks like a pretty solid window is closing on them to boot.

What's always struck me as kind of funny is that you can have your cake and eat it too, in that you can sign with the Devils and totally live a NY lifestyle if you really want that...you can LIVE in NYC and play for the Devils.  But to free agents, it's almost as if they think Newark and NYC are 500 miles away from each other, and that NYC and being a Ranger must go hand-in-hand. 

21 hours ago, Jerzey said:

As much as I would have liked the free asset, and as nice as it is to be a candidate for any coveted free agent, we are actually pretty set on LW anyway. Now way he would be getting too 6 minutes anytime soon, on LW at least. Sure we could have forced one of our LW's to the right side but that doesn't always work (Kovy). 

It's funny how quickly I went from hoping we get him to disliking him and his sh!tty decision making.

This is pretty much how I felt about it as well.  It would have been a much bigger deal had he been a natural RW 

It's much more likely he ends up like Matt Gilroy than Blake Wheeler. MUCH. It's basically a free lotto ticket like ive heard others say, and whos going to turn that down but I wasnt worried about the Rangers before they got Vesey and im certainly not now. 

The queen's play will be declining every game from here on out imo. Girardi and Staal on those contracts? That prospect pool? LOL

Ohh yea this is the year Kreider will figure out hes really Ovechkin-lite like rags fans have been blathering about forever, and score 40 goals.... :rolleyes:

On 8/20/2016 at 3:02 AM, Satans Hockey said:

Always funny to see the same posters bitch and moan about our own fans. What a shame that some Devils fans actually hate everything to do with their biggest rival across the Hudson. 

coming from you Sunshine really?

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 8:14 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Meh...the Rangers are always going to have a certain sex appeal, just by sheer virtue of their location, and the building they play in (doesn't matter if that building isn't really anything that special...some people just hear and see "New York" and think "OMG, I just HAVE to play there...it's the ultimate!")  Doesn't matter how good or bad the team is, there will always be players who can't wait to sign with the Rangers.  I'll never get it...I would if the Rangers had a Yankee-like tradition of success (a lot of their fans seem to think that), but they're much more Chicago Cubs in that regard.  And it looks like a pretty solid window is closing on them to boot.

What's always struck me as kind of funny is that you can have your cake and eat it too, in that you can sign with the Devils and totally live a NY lifestyle if you really want that...you can LIVE in NYC and play for the Devils.  But to free agents, it's almost as if they think Newark and NYC are 500 miles away from each other, and that NYC and being a Ranger must go hand-in-hand. 

I have often wondered this too.  I guess there is a certain sex appeal when both the home arena and the place you live are both on Manhattan in the middle of a sprawling city. 

I read somewhere that Vesey decided on the Rangers after speaking with his agent(s).  I really wonder how much convincing they did as I can imagine the agents were probably steering him towards the bigger name/market teams for their own selfish benefits.  This always reminds me of Marty where even though I bitch him out quite a bit, I have to admit I respect him for telling his agent early on to go F himself and he went at it alone when it came to dealing with Lou.

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 10:00 AM, devlman said:

In his defense, he wanted anonymity. Going to a declining team that your average New Yorker doesn't gives a sh!t about is about as anonymous as you can get.

I disagree, if the team crashes he will be in the spot light as either the only good thing or another wrong decision...

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

I have often wondered this too.  I guess there is a certain sex appeal when both the home arena and the place you live are both on Manhattan in the middle of a sprawling city. 

I read somewhere that Vesey decided on the Rangers after speaking with his agent(s).  I really wonder how much convincing they did as I can imagine the agents were probably steering him towards the bigger name/market teams for their own selfish benefits.  This always reminds me of Marty where even though I bitch him out quite a bit, I have to admit I respect him for telling his agent early on to go F himself and he went at it alone when it came to dealing with Lou.

Wasn't like that exactly...Marty's first long-term contract negotiation (just after the 1995 Cup win) between Lou, Marty, and Marty's agent (Gilles Lupien) got very ugly...Lou had all of the bargaining power in that one, and he really hardballed Marty in a big way (to be fair to Lou, Marty had only played two seasons in the NHL to that point...no one knew for sure that he was going to become this 70+ starts-per-season all-time beast just yet).  I remember Marty actually saying after he signed that deal that once that contract was up (it was a 3-year deal for $5.325 million over the term), he was gone...there was a lot of initial bitterness all-around...and after Lupien did a lot of public negotiating through the press, Lou basically hated Lupien's guts.  Obviously Marty didn't hold a grudge for too long (and he was still basically a kid when that happened anyway), and his relationship with Lou improved drastically.  When it came time for the next contract, despite the great respect that both parties now held for each other, Lou flat-out told Marty "Do what you want, but I'm not dealing with Lupien anymore."  Lou really forced Marty's hand on that, though Marty clearly could've just fired Lupien and hired someone else (not like Lou couldn't NOT deal with every agent on the planet).  

But then Marty realized "Wait, this doesn't really seem all that hard, and I won't have to pay an agent commission on top of it, so why not just do this myself?"  He said the next contract (4 years, $16.8 million) went incredibly smoothly.  He then went out to lunch with Lupien and told him that he had negotiated his new contract all on his own, and asked what he owed Lupien (despite Lupien not being involved at all with the process).  Lupien grabbed a napkin, wrote "0" on it, and shoved it Marty's way.  Lupien was furious with Marty, and that was basically the end of their relationship on all levels.  The only time Marty used an agent again (Pat Brisson) was for his last contract...and I think that's because he didn't know whether or not he'd be back with the Devils, and felt like he could work without an agent only when dealing directly with Lou. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

11 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Wasn't like that exactly...Marty's first long-term contract negotiation (just after the 1995 Cup win) between Lou, Marty, and Marty's agent (Gilles Lupien) got very ugly...Lou had all of the bargaining power in that one, and he really hardballed Marty in a big way (to be fair to Lou, Marty had only played two seasons in the NHL to that point...no one knew for sure that he was going to become this 70+ starts-per-season all-time beast just yet).  I remember Marty actually saying after he signed that deal that once that contract was up (it was a 3-year deal for $5.325 million over the term), he was gone...there was a lot of initial bitterness all-around...and after Lupien did a lot of public negotiating through the press, Lou basically hated Lupien's guts.  Obviously Marty didn't hold a grudge for too long (and he was still basically a kid when that happened anyway), and his relationship with Lou improved drastically.  When it came time for the next contract, despite the great respect that both parties now held for each other, Lou flat-out told Marty "Do what you want, but I'm not dealing with Lupien anymore."  Lou really forced Marty's hand on that, though Marty clearly could've just fired Lupien and hired someone else (not like Lou couldn't NOT deal with every agent on the planet).  

But then Marty realized "Wait, this doesn't really seem all that hard, and I won't have to pay an agent commission on top of it, so why not just do this myself?"  He said the next contract (4 years, $16.8 million) went incredibly smoothly.  He then went out to lunch with Lupien and told him that he had negotiated his new contract all on his own, and asked what he owed Lupien (despite Lupien not being involved at all with the process).  Lupien grabbed a napkin, wrote "0" on it, and shoved it Marty's way.  Lupien was furious with Marty, and that was basically the end of their relationship on all levels.  The only time Marty used an agent again (Pat Brisson) was for his last contract...and I think that's because he didn't know whether or not he'd be back with the Devils, and felt like he could work without an agent only when dealing directly with Lou. 

lol that's a much more detailed version of the events that happened, but in the end Marty did tell Lupien to fvck off.  He could have sided with Lupien and went his own way and make a ton more over his career on other teams.

Point is that Marty didn't go with the flow like most players do and thought for himself rather than having his agent constantly in his ear.  I have read more than once that Parise didn't sign a long-term deal with the Devils the year before he became a UFA was because his agent told him to hold out and see what he will get in the open market.  Not only that but there were some reports (not sure how accurate but read this more than once) that Parise was close to signing a longer term deal with the Devils until his agents got in his ear.

Now I read reports that Vesey made his decision after consulting his agent(s).  That's usually the death knell for Devils hopes of signing highly sought after free agents.  I certainly cannot prove it for sure, but when I see that line that spells doom for us unless we offer the most money (which we couldn't in this case due to rules and even in some instances where we offer the most money we lose).

Basically it's hard being a team that has NJ in it's name (and I have a feeling I am going to start a sh!t storm with that line even though it's completely true).

In the end, the agent works for the player. The buck stops with the player. All an agent can do is advise- that's it. At the end of the day, the player decides what he wants to do. The problem is most of these guys aren't that bright, so they listen to everything the agent tells them to do because they aren't fully capable of an original thought in a lot of cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk