Vesey signs with Rangers.

Daniel

37 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

You gave Holik a story to tell lol. I'll bet he hasn't forgotten that. emoji23.png

I hope not!! It's my favorite celebrity story, and I have a few. 

38 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

The Holik thing? Really?

Yup. I'm less mental than I was back then. But not by much. 

• Like 1

On 7/17/2016 at 0:57 PM, SterioDesign said:

Do you mind expanding on that cause i can't even tell if you're sarcastic or not here lol

but fact is, London and New-York are known to be the 2 greatest cities in the WORLD. That's not my opinion, that's simply the general consensus. So players from all over the world must have that idea too and if they can go there just to say they live in NY i can somewhat understand.

So what i am saying is that all the "perks" that you could have living in NY, you can have those same perks living in Newark since it's less than an hour away. Plus not living directly in NY i'm sure saves you from the down sides of living in NY too.

You clearly don't get it.

On 7/15/2016 at 2:07 PM, Mitico12 said:

This guy won the Hobey Baker award and played for us...do you remember him?

My point exactly.  That award means jack...

emma1.jpg

David Emma

This guy won it 25 years ago. Hockey in this country and NCAA hockey are light years ahead of where they were then. While we're at comparing guys from vastly different eras, maybe we can talk about why Hobey Baker himself wouldn't make it in the modern NHL.

23 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

In fairness, I did warn him. He came in after the season, before free agency, and I said I get that it's your shot to sign a big deal, and if you have to leave NJ to do it, I understand. But not the Rangers. Sign with the Rangers and you can't shop here anymore. He thought it was hysterical. 

When he came back as a Ranger, I quite vocally asked him to leave. He looked at me like I was nuts (accurate assessment).

My manager(also a Devils fan and my best friend) made me stay in the stockroom while he waited on Holik. I called my friend a traitor as well. 

And yes, he's a big dude, but I ain't scared. 

That's an amazing story! Lol I still remember when he came back to the Meadowlands, I believe it was a preseason game actually, and 2 guys dumped 2 big bags of fake money on him as he walked out of the tunnel. I wish someone had recorded that 

• Like 1

This guy might just be a career AHL'er.  Thing is he''ll be paid the same wherever he goes bonus' aside. I could care less if he comes here. I personally think

he should be boycotted.  Wouldn't we be furious if this happen to us w/ Santini or Miles Wood (if it had played out that way). 

1 hour ago, vadvlfan said:

This guy might just be a career AHL'er.  Thing is he''ll be paid the same wherever he goes bonus' aside. I could care less if he comes here. I personally think

he should be boycotted.  Wouldn't we be furious if this happen to us w/ Santini or Miles Wood (if it had played out that way). 

We would, but this is part of the game, part of the business. And there are teams who take advantage of situations like this to make themselves better, and teams who don't. I wouldn't want our team to not do so because "we'd be upset if we were in their shoes".

6 hours ago, DJ Eco said:

We would, but this is part of the game, part of the business. And there are teams who take advantage of situations like this to make themselves better, and teams who don't. I wouldn't want our team to not do so because "we'd be upset if we were in their shoes".

It'd be like not signing a big UFA because we lost UFAs in the past and it wasn't a good feeling being that team.

39 minutes ago, roomtemp said:

It'd be like not signing a big UFA because we lost UFAs in the past and it wasn't a good feeling being that team.

All true - good points DJ & roomtemp... besides, Nashville got a third rounder from Buffalo so they could convince him to sign (Vesey was originally a 3rd round selection). 

Also, it's satisfying to have someone choose to put NJ on their list, esp when NY isn't on his supposed list... because it always seems like the NYRs are on everyone's short list. 

I just read a NYR fan blog post about how they could use Vesey: "While it would be grand for him to join the Rangers, rumor has it that they are not on his short list, which includes Boston, Buffalo, Toronto, and the Cretins across the river."

Edited by LittleBallofHate

I'd heard that Vesey plays on a line with Eichel during the summer but I didn't know the other guy on that line is our Nick Lappin.  Snippets from a Boston Globe article:

This is the fourth summer that Vesey has skated on the same line as Jack Eichel, the onetime Boston University star who edged him in the 2015 Hobey Baker voting...  The sight of the Vesey-Eichel combination (with Nick Lappin, AHL Albany, filling out the trio)...    etc.               

His checklist when considering where to play, said Vesey, will include the prospective team’s coach, its style of play, and whether both sides could envision him playing among the top six forwards and also on the power play.

Edited to add that he mentions he wants to play in the Northeast.

Edited by LittleBallofHate

I like the young players the Devils have in their organization and think Vesey would fit in quite nicely. I also like the Boston area connections (Head Coach John Hynes and Assistant GM Tom Fitzgerald)  the team has and think that would definitely make New Jersey an attractive destination for Vesey. These aren’t the Lou Lamoriello Devils as the management is trying to ice an exciting offensive team and adding a player of Vesey’s caliber would do just that.

On 7/20/2016 at 8:10 AM, vadvlfan said:

It was a slightly different situation but Mike Van Ryn pulled something similar in the late 90's where we lost his rights because he jumped from NCAA to OHL.   I remember being pretty pissed because we lost a d-man that we thought highly enough about that we took him before Gomez, risking that we might lose Gomez if we couldn't swing the trade with Dallas or whoever it was.   "How good must he be if we chose him over Gomez?"   Luckily, it turned out he sucked.  

I think that's a little different though because Van Ryn exploited a loophole.   

I'm not sure how I feel about this one given that the story coming out of Nashville never really added up.   Everyone knows this is the rule, so while admirable that they let Vesey finish school with no pressure to sign after his Junior year, it seemed like they kind of backed themselves into a corner and then didn't handle the breakup well.  It's hard to tell what the real story is and if Vesey gave them any indication of his intentions to become a UFA prior to finishing up with Harvard.  The story from the Assistant GM in Nashville kind of sounded like he was never given a meeting with Vesey's representation so he cornered Vesey between periods of a Harvard game pressuring him to say he was definitely signing.  Did Vesey say yes just to get him off his back?  If he did say yes in that scenario, shouldn't it still be taken with a grain of salt?

Personally, I just don't want to see him sign with Daddy in Toronto.  They would really feel slimy.            

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

damn Vesey's agent said they'll talk to the blackhawks too before making a decision... that's no good

We can close the book on this one; Vesey 98% chance going to Chicago Blackhawks, yay!

"Thanks for playing, come again!"

8 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

We can close the book on this one; Vesey 98% chance going to Chicago Blackhawks, yay!

"Thanks for playing, come again!"

Not necessarily, he'll go to the place he's not way down on the depth chart.  Hawks lost out on Hayes because he would never get a shot.  He was right.

Toronto/Buffalo are likely (depends on "promises" they make). If he turns out to be crap or mediocre (which could happen) coach Mike will sit him or send him down

Boston is also a possible as well. 

http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/sources-boston-bruins-not-a-favorite-to-sign-jimmy-vesey

yeah... i mean i don't get it... but i'm telling myself... if were still on there it's cause he really wants to come to NJ for wtv reasons... Chicago and NYR it's a no brainer why he'd want to be there... but the fact that were still there over Boston and the other teams.... tells me that there's a legit chance he lands here