Vesey signs with Rangers.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This reminds me of the summer of 2009 when the Devils and Rangers were after Hobey Baker winner Matt Gilroy... he signed with the Rags.  Remember him?  Probably not... he's playing in Russia now... 

This team is too full offensively. We really oughta trade one of our talented young forwards for a defenseman. Any idea what Edmonton would ask for Adam Larsson? Kid seems really good.

fvck New York!

1 minute ago, BostonNala370 said:

Confusing, some say Devils still in and others say Devils out. 

the medias are just guessing. The kid said he wanted to wait til he talked to all the teams. Why would his mind change every day if he didn't even get the pitch from teams? it's ridiculous.

2 hours ago, redruM said:

Todays the Day, super excited about the announcement...

He cannot even talk to anyone until midnight of the 16th. Today is just the last day the Sabres have exclusive rights.

Tomorrow likely isn't even the day if he's taking meetings etc. I don't think this is over til Thursday or Friday.

"Vesey and his agents, Peter Fish and Peter Donatelli, will conduct interviews with teams in Boston on Tuesday and Wednesday. A decision is expected by the end of business hours on Friday at the latest, sources tell ESPN.com.

The New Jersey Devils, New York Rangers and Toronto Maple Leafs are strong contenders as Vesey, who played for Harvard, prepares for free agency, sources said. The Buffalo Sabres, Pittsburgh Penguins, Chicago Blackhawks, New York Islanders and Boston Bruins are also on that list."

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/17308503/nhl-jimmy-vesey-decided-short-list-teams-becomes-free-agent

1 hour ago, ghdi said:

He cannot even talk to anyone until midnight of the 16th. Today is just the last day the Sabres have exclusive rights.

Tomorrow likely isn't even the day if he's taking meetings etc. I don't think this is over til Thursday or Friday.

Also he's not going to announce right at midnight. That'd look sketchy as hell. At the bare minimum he'd wait til noon if he's basically made up his mind already. If he really wants to legitimately hear pitches I'd think it'd take a day or more.

It is down to the Devils, Rangers, and Blackhawks.  Oh wait, it is down to the Rangers, Bruins, and Leafs.  The Blackhawks, and Devils are not in the mix.  Oh wait, it is down to the Leafs, Devils, and Ducks.  Oh wait, it is down to the Flyers, Devils, and Islanders.  Oh wait, it is down to the Blackhawks, Flyers, and Rangers.  

• Like 1

Wonder if it's true Vesey's guaranteed top six LW? How can anyone assure a player when coaching today (most all coaches) move up and down the line up all year.  Anyone could start there. But this is a "what have you done for me lately" league. Can't see how you guarantee,anyone anything.

26 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

Wonder if it's true Vesey's guaranteed top six LW? How can anyone assure a player when coaching today (most all coaches) move up and down the line up all year.  Anyone could start there. But this is a "what have you done for me lately" league. Can't see how you guarantee,anyone anything.

Any team worth its salt will not guarantee a Top 6 spot to a kid that hasn't played a game in the NHL yet.  You have to earn your spot, and it should be no different for this kid, or any other prospect in our system.  They can sell it like he would be given every opportunity at Top 6 minutes, with PP and PK time as well, but there should be no guarantees. 

Hope we land him as having another O prospect in the system never hurts.  This is a no risk, high reward signing if they can get it done. 

First of all i don't tell think he'll sign in NJ but if he does here's what i hope won't happen...

Comes here and play decently well... but not incredibly good defensively and some fans just crucify him all the time for that. I've seen that a lot, in NJ a player can be terrible offensively but if he's good defensively it's fine. But a guy good offensively but not great defensively, he should be burned alive. I get the fan base grew through that defensive mentality but it's ridiculous at times.

I mean... if the kid pass on playing with toews or crosby or play in NY to play in NJ... give him a little break for the love of god. 

19 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

First of all i don't tell think he'll sign in NJ but if he does here's what i hope won't happen...

Comes here and play decently well... but not incredibly good defensively and some fans just crucify him all the time for that. I've seen that a lot, in NJ a player can be terrible offensively but if he's good defensively it's fine. But a guy good offensively but not great defensively, he should be burned alive. I get the fan base grew through that defensive mentality but it's ridiculous at times.

I mean... if the kid pass on playing with toews or crosby or play in NY to play in NJ... give him a little break for the love of god. 

haha Yep. I just got sharp flashbacks of a time when Kovalchuk was getting booed in our building despite being top 5 in scoring leaguewide, while Carter/Gionta/Bernie were universally praised and loved.

Just now, DJ Eco said:

haha Yep. I just got sharp flashbacks of a time when Kovalchuk was getting booed in our building despite being top 5 in scoring leaguewide, while Carter/Gionta/Bernie were universally praised and loved.

yeah it's incredibly lame. Like i said i understand that people praise defensive in NJ more cause it's been shoved down our throats for over 2 decades that it's the way to go... but it's all about the balance really. 

45 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

If he chooses NJ in a UFA situation where his salary is capped, I would assume, or at least hope, he would be given a lot of leeway.   I think it's the fans of the teams that don't get him that will want to crucify him.   

2 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

You hit the nail. Remember Kovy?

10 minutes ago, BostonNala370 said:

You hit the nail. Remember Kovy?

Well not just him, any of the more offensive guys that we got we're constant scapegoats from some fans for making bad defensive plays from time to time but they were fine with guys going 65 games without scoring but hey, great defensively. lol

That's just plain hypocrite, you need both kind of guys and that's why guys who does everything good at elite level are the best players in the world. But there's still room for the rest, just a matter of balancing them

2 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Actually, at this point I don't think the above rings true at all...I think now more than ever, Devils fans not only want to see some offensive talent in the lineup, but they're more than willing to live with some of the mistakes that those types of players can make.  The Devils put "Little Margin For Error, Must Execute Almost Flawlessly" teams out there for years, and some of them were beyond painful to watch.  Most Devils fans also remember quite well that the most successful teams in Devils history could score a lot more than they were given credit for, and could actually be - gasp! - quite exciting offensively.  The idea that they were only winning games 2-1 at their peak is a myth that keeps getting unfairly perpetuated.  

Kovy was tough to take at first because he was just SO raw when he first came here...so much so that I think it shocked a lot of us who were intrigued to see what he would bring...it became very clear very quickly that he had never been properly coached in Atlanta.  He also got off a horrible start in 2010-11 that made him the target for a lot of stunned Devils fans who weren't used to seeing their team bottom-feed...it's not like he didn't bring any of it on himself.  I would've loved to have seen what Jacques Lemaire could've have done with a 19-or-20-year-old Kovy myself...his overall game improved leaps and bounds under Lemaire.   

20 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Actually, at this point I don't think the above rings true at all...I think now more than ever, Devils fans not only want to see some offensive talent in the lineup, but they're more than willing to live with some of the mistakes that those types of players can make.  The Devils put "Little Margin For Error, Must Execute Almost Flawlessly" teams out there for years, and some of them were beyond painful to watch.  Most Devils fans also remember quite well that the most successful teams in Devils history could score a lot more than they were given credit for, and could actually be - gasp! - quite exciting offensively.  The idea that they were only winning games 2-1 at their peak is a myth that keeps getting unfairly perpetuated.  

Kovy was tough to take at first because he was just SO raw when he first came here...so much so that I think it shocked a lot of us who were intrigued to see what he would bring...it became very clear very quickly that he had never been properly coached in Atlanta.  He also got off a horrible start in 2010-11 that made him the target for a lot of stunned Devils fans who weren't used to seeing their team bottom-feed...it's not like he didn't bring any of it on himself.  I would've loved to have seen what Jacques Lemaire could've have done with a 19-or-20-year-old Kovy myself...his overall game improved leaps and bounds under Lemaire.   

Well like i said we've seen it happened with other players other than Kovy. Maybe it doesn't true with you. But it's still a thing certainly. 2 people agreed with me right before your post, so i'm not crazy lol

i mean guys like Gelinas or Brunner etc we're not great defensively but they had something special offensively. We all know how everyone hated them and were rolling their eyes anytime they'd step on the ice. But we've had guys like Josefson who scores every few months but since he's okay defensively people accept him a lot more.

So here don't pick apart specifically who i picked for my example cause every case is different and then people get too technical about specific situations but what i said is still a thing. A lot of Devils fans would rather have a player good defensively over a player good offensively. Hell there was even a poster freaking out when we traded Larson that now our D-corp sucks and that it's allll about the D... ignoring that we could have the best D in the league... if we don't score it's useless and that getting slightly better offensively and getting a little worst defensively is not a step back.

42 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well like i said we've seen it happened with other players other than Kovy. Maybe it doesn't true with you. But it's still a thing certainly. 2 people agreed with me right before your post, so i'm not crazy lol

i mean guys like Gelinas or Brunner etc we're not great defensively but they had something special offensively. We all know how everyone hated them and were rolling their eyes anytime they'd step on the ice. But we've had guys like Josefson who scores every few months but since he's okay defensively people accept him a lot more.

So here don't pick apart specifically who i picked for my example cause every case is different and then people get too technical about specific situations but what i said is still a thing. A lot of Devils fans would rather have a player good defensively over a player good offensively. Hell there was even a poster freaking out when we traded Larson that now our D-corp sucks and that it's allll about the D... ignoring that we could have the best D in the league... if we don't score it's useless and that getting slightly better offensively and getting a little worst defensively is not a step back.

I explained what happened with Kovy...he wasn't unfairly picked on.  His first season was very disappointing overall, some of it his fault, some not, but his second half gave everyone hope.  I saw fans embrace him more and more as 2011-2012 unfolded...especially when it felt like the Devils were starting to become his team, like he was truly all in...then of course, the lockout, SKA, his not feeling the Devils anymore...it all went the wrong way.

People wanted to embrace Gelinas and Brunner in spite of their warts, but you can only do it for so long.  Gelinas kept regressing and Brunner never really got it going again after a good start (too many MIA stretches for him).  The fans weren't wrong for eventually souring on them...neither made any progress, and Brunner was no kid either.  The Devils were right to move on from them.  The problem with guys like that is that they really bring next to nothing to the table if they're not making any offensive contributions.  If Gelinas was scoring 10-15 goals and putting up 40-50 points over 82 games, fans would deal with some shoddy defense.  When your numbers are declining to the tune of one goal and six points in 34 games and you're seeing games where the guy looks like he doesn't even belong in the NHL...you're making sound like he was being singled out because he wasn't great defensively.  He was being singled out because he wasn't doing ANYTHING. 

And I've seen plenty of fans complain about Josefson not bringing enough offense to the table...I think his shootout abilities and some of his defensive skill may have given him a temporary pass with some fans up until now, but I think if he is still not doing much offensively, you'll start to hear a lot more about it.  I think it's probably now or never for him with Devils fans. 

Anyway, I think most Devils fans would like a bunch of well-rounded players more than anyone else (who wouldn't), but you're active here and you've seen everyone rant about how even on nights when the Devils don't look half-bad offensively, they can't finish worth a damn.  We're all tired of seeing that crap.  And like I said, we'll all HAPPILY sacrifice some D for some O.  I just don't think your generalization (the bolded) is an accurate representation of the 2016 Devils fanbase. 

And you'll get an occasional poster or fan who wasn't happy about the Larsson-for-Hall deal...but I think the VAST majority of Devils fans were thrilled with that deal beyond belief, for the reason stated above.  Everyone is ready for a change, and that trade really fit the bill. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976