Palmieri replaces Callahan on Team USA

MadDog2020

Good for him. This time last year, I was thinking to myself, "Oh man, Palmieri must be bitter he just got traded from a Stanley Cup contender to the Devils, this is going to be a rough couple years." And now look at him, and the track his career is on.

Edited by DJ Eco
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, squishyx said:

These guys aren't our property, representing your country is a great honor.

If he gets injured (and I really hope he doesn't) and out for months, you will be singing a different tune.  These guys are contracted to the Devils which they get paid to play on.  I long for the day when this and sending NHL players to the Olympics are a thing of the past.

29 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I'm happy for Palmieri getting a chance to represent his country. 

I'm sad for the people who find an excuse to be miserable about everything. 

I really don't think I'm miserable about everything, I was actually really excited about the tournament and even was planning on going to all the USA games until they announced the details for the tournament. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

Actually in this case, he is the Devils property, which is why he's playing in this tournament.

Good for Palmieri, he'll probably have a relatively small role but it'll be fun to see him playing with better players.  

When the World Cup rolls around, I intend to make 2 threads for it - one for people who cannot get over the tournament format and will only piss and moan whenever it's brought up (aka the Gulitti Memorial Thread) and those who intend to enjoy the tournament for what it is.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

I have no problems with guys going to play for the USA except for when it's this joke of a tournament where usa players will be facing usa players.

Because of the team N. America thing? I agree it's doofy but it's not like there is a guaranteed chance this match up will even happen. I don't think it takes anything from the players who are representing whole countries.

19 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

If he gets injured (and I really hope he doesn't) and out for months, you will be singing a different tune.  These guys are contracted to the Devils which they get paid to play on.  I long for the day when this and sending NHL players to the Olympics are a thing of the past.

Not really, injuries are part of the game and the odds are pretty remote at that. He could just as easily get injured in camp. And the Olympic tournaments produce some of the best hockey I've seen in my life, I hope it stays forever.

18 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

There have been international tournaments with NHL players for a long time now going back to the Canada Cup, and it hasn't proven to be a calamity so far as player injuries. 

Nevertheless, I agree in principle that first loyalty should be to the NHL team and NHL fans, who pay the players very well, rather than to, in the case of the Olympics anyway, a corrupt organization that exploits taxpayers in a way that would make your typical pro sports owner with a subsidized stadium deal blush.  However, the NHL could stand to expand its fan base generally in the United States, and a strong run by a US team in the Olympics could ultimately aid NHL revenues, which is good, not only for owners, but for players and the fans.  

15 hours ago, Triumph said:

Actually in this case, he is the Devils property, which is why he's playing in this tournament.

It's an NHL sanctioned tournament, but I don't think there is any requirement that you have an NHL contract to be on a team. Half the European rosters have non NHL'ers. If for some reason Kyle wanted to play in the KHL professionally he would still be eligible to play for team USA, no?

Well Palms seems really excited so I guess that's what matters...    

According to Gross, "Palmieri initially left New Jersey as a teen-ager to join the U.S. National Team Development Program in Ann Arbor, Mich. and has represented the U.S. in both the World Junior Championships (2010, 2011) and the World Championships (2012)."

Snippet/quotes from today's Fire & Ice:

"It was definitely a big surprise," Palmieri said. "I had heard Callahan was having surgery and would miss the World Cup but there were still a lot of great hockey players that were eligible to fill the spot. It's an incredible honor for me and I am really looking forward to representing my country on the international stage."

Hynes said he was contacted by USA Hockey prior to Palmieri's selection and was "asked about him as a person, his character and how coachable he is."

Obviously, Hynes gave a glowing report.

This is great news. Palmieri deserved it over Callahan to begin with, and this is really well deserved.

I've said I hate the two non-national teams, and each country should be represented by their best players for this to be a true test of national hockey strength, but it's still international hockey, and it might be all we have.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

There have been international tournaments with NHL players for a long time now going back to the Canada Cup, and it hasn't proven to be a calamity so far as player injuries. 

Nevertheless, I agree in principle that first loyalty should be to the NHL team and NHL fans, who pay the players very well, rather than to, in the case of the Olympics anyway, a corrupt organization that exploits taxpayers in a way that would make your typical pro sports owner with a subsidized stadium deal blush.  However, the NHL could stand to expand its fan base generally in the United States, and a strong run by a US team in the Olympics could ultimately aid NHL revenues, which is good, not only for owners, but for players and the fans.  

The next Olympic games are in South Korea and China, which are pretty much the worst time zones for US engagement.  The US made the Finals in 2010 and there was no substantial uptick in anything NHL-related.  There's been a lot of smoke about the NHL not participating in the next Olympics and I feel like that's an inevitability.

3 hours ago, squishyx said:

Because of the team N. America thing? I agree it's doofy but it's not like there is a guaranteed chance this match up will even happen. I don't think it takes anything from the players who are representing whole countries.

Yeah just not a fan of it at all and definitely won't be spending money on it like I originally planned to 

• Like 1