Isles considering moving to Queens, teaming up with Mets

RunninWithTheDevil

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-07-21/nhl-s-islanders-said-considering-a-move-to-queens-with-mets-help

The New York Islanders are in talks with the owners of baseball’s New York Mets about building a hockey arena adjacent to Citi Field in Queens, people with knowledge of the discussions said.

I knew the whole Brooklyn thing wouldn't work out but this actually seems like a great idea that they should've thought of before they left the island

12 hours ago, HellOnICE said:

Hard to imagine. Can't see a Queens arena winning events from Barclays/MSG.

It's all about the money and people will travel for certain events.  Went a few concerts at Giants Stadium when I lived on LI.  I don't follow it anymore, but I remember when I would pick up the occassional concert tickets to scalp, many acts would do a night or 2 at Brendan Byrne, a night or 2 at MSG, and a night or 2 at Nassau Coliseum.  I think you would see the same thing happen again.  They'd get some college bball, might even get St Johns to leave MSG for them as their 2nd home.   Things like the circus and Harlem Globetrotters will hit every arena possible. I know yesterday I said it would be a problem, but after thinking about it, I don't think they would really need to WIN events away, there are plenty to go around.  The difference is you'd have MSG with 2 anchor tenants (Liberty do not count) and then Barclay's and New Shea with one.

18 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Whatever happens it will still do better than IZOD

I think even izod is a better option than Barclays. 

The NJ/NY/CT metro has upwards of 20 million people. You'd have 4 and a half counting the coliseum with a new venue. In an area this size, having room for all the acts that want to come is the biggest thing. I bet 10 venues would be fine.

4 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

I think even izod is a better option than Barclays. 

The NJ/NY/CT metro has upwards of 20 million people. You'd have 4 and a half counting the coliseum with a new venue. In an area this size, having room for all the acts that want to come is the biggest thing. I bet 10 venues would be fine.

Plus, the Isles are losing out on seat revenue with Barclays being so damn small, just some 500 seats more than MTS Centre.

20 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Plus, the Isles are losing out on seat revenue with Barclays being so damn small, just some 500 seats more than MTS Centre.

The Isles are paid up front something like $50 million every year, and the owners of the Barclays Center get all of the ticket and concession revenue.  It's a strange deal, and I wonder whether the Barclays Center owners want the Isles to go somewhere else also. 

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

The Isles are paid up front something like $50 million every year, and the owners of the Barclays Center get all of the ticket and concession revenue.  It's a strange deal, and I wonder whether the Barclays Center owners want the Isles to go somewhere else also. 

Thanks for the info, I had given up trying to figure out their agreement

On 7/22/2016 at 9:59 AM, Daniel said:

Correct.  Isles get $50MM and Barclay's gets all the ticket revenue and concessions, no parking.  Only private lots and street parking in that area.  Not sure what the cut is on the Team Store.  Since that revenue is pooled league-wide, I would think Barclay's gets only a small cut of it.

On 7/22/2016 at 8:40 PM, bobilly45 said:

Since I live on li I follow the islanders a little bit, there are talks that the isles are in talks about getting a stadium next to Belmont park

That would be worse. Lousy area, lousy access to LIRR, would not have enough parking once the arena goes up, and traffic would be an absolute nightmare for a weeknight game.

It wouldn't take all that much to build a better arena than that rusting gross steep seated dark (black themed) Barclays disaster. I never liked my experiences there.

Once they do that Willets Point revival a hockey arena would look mighty nice there. As long as they build it in more the Prudential Center style it will be the preferred arena to Barclays.