The obligatory NHL (except NJ) on NBC yearly thread

Z-Man

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Is this something people actually care about? I personally hate when I have to watch a game with a National broadcast crew. 

For me its more about the exposure to other teams. Yes, I have Center Ice so its truly not a big deal for me personally, but I think if we're trying to grow the freaking game as Bettman claims, having one team on 20-plus freaking times seemingly every year gives the impression that the League pretty much hinges on this given team.

I get that you want to show off your top talent, but for fvck's sake, spread the wealth a little and stop blowing their loads all over Chicago and Pitt.

Edited by jagknife
apparently I cannot spell today....

More national games would be nice for me, as although I prefer our broadcast, I get to watch about 10 games on cable every season (between the handful of games that coincide with me being in Jersey, the Devils-Flyers games I don't go to, and the odd national game) and have to stream the rest, which sucks.

Funny this thread came up today, because I was looking a little bit into local ratings for NHL teams earlier. I wanted to bring it up but didn't think it deserved its own thread.

I saw ratings numbers from April that had us listed as the second lowest rated team in the US (so, the second lowest rated team in the NHL) at .30. But those numbers are misleading because of the size of our media market that these numbers are based on. We're in a market of about 23,700,000 people, and a .30 rating indicates total viewership of around 71,000 total people (I know ratings are more commonly measured on households, but Nielsen also measures on individuals in some cases, and this is easier). Now, realistically, our market is the roughly 6,000,000 people in North and Central Jersey, and narrower definitions place our market at around 2,500,000. 71,100 viewers in a market of 6,000,000 would be a 1.1 rating, and those viewers in a 2,500,000 market would be a 2.8. I think I'm most likely to buy the 6 million/1.1 mark for our true ratings. That would probably put us in the middle of the pack. How do you guys interpret our ratings?

Edited by thecoffeecake

I don't have any issue with the NBC broadcasting crew, it's the intermission and post game guys that I have a problem with. Doc is a legend and I think Eddie O is very good as well (although Pierre is an ass), but Mike Millbury is a clown is makes a lot of the intermission reports unbearable to watch. Loved seeing John Scott shove it in his face at the All Star Game this year.

On 7/22/2016 at 8:12 AM, Lateralous said:

You have great young teams in Florida and Nashville and I think I saw each of them listed once.   

yeah those are teams that need more love. I mean the Devils weren't a playoff team and they weren't playing an offensive game that scores alot of goals while doing so. Now idk when they make this decision (before or after we got Hall) but we have to actually make the playoffs to get back to our handful of games that we got when we were making the playoffs.

17 hours ago, bobilly45 said:

Guess no doc this coming season unless we make the playoffs

I prefer cangi at this point. Listening to Doc being overly neutral broadcasting our games is weird. It's probably like working with an ex you really liked that goes out of their way to be exclusively professional with you all the time. 

No one will be as good as doc probably ever, but despite what people say, I think cangi is one of the best in the business.

3 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

I prefer cangi at this point. Listening to Doc being overly neutral broadcasting our games is weird. It's probably like working with an ex you really liked that goes out of their way to be exclusively professional with you all the time. 

No one will be as good as doc probably ever, but despite what people say, I think cangi is one of the best in the business.

This. I really don't see all the fuss about Cang.  I know we've been spoiled, but Cang is a Grade A broadcaster.  He does great work on Redbull games too (not sure if he still does, dont watch soccer too much).

2 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

This. I really don't see all the fuss about Cang.  I know we've been spoiled, but Cang is a Grade A broadcaster.  He does great work on Redbull games too (not sure if he still does, dont watch soccer too much).

I think anyone that followed Doc was going to get some push back regardless of how good they are or aren't. Cangy is fine, but he couldn't reel in Chico like Doc could haha 

7 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

I agree with your assessment on Doc. Disagree totally on Cangi. He kind of sucks, gets all kinds of calls wrong, gets the teams' goalies confused, etc. I think he's awful.