Sign in to follow this  
insanity_gallops

NHL farm systems, as ranked by TheScore (NJ - 11th)

Not exactly a detailed write-up for each club, nor even completely accurate - John Hynes came from the Albany Devils, eh? Interesting that their ranking criteria is not only the strength of prospects, but stability of AHL franchise and physical proximity to the NHL team.

Evidence of the strength of the Devils' farm system is written all over the big club.

The club's current head coach came from the Albany Devils, and New Jersey's biggest surprises this year also came from the AHL. Joseph Blandisi and Scott Wedgewood showed promise in their short stints, all while Pavel Zacha sat waiting in the wings.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1064617-ranking-the-30-nhl-farm-systems

For comparison, Bleacher Report's post-2016-draft write-up in June had the Devils at 13th.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2647891-nhl-draft-2016-results-re-ranking-every-teams-prospect-pool/page/19

5 hours ago, insanity_gallops said:

Not exactly a detailed write-up for each club, nor even completely accurate - John Hynes came from the Albany Devils, eh? Interesting that their ranking criteria is not only the strength of prospects, but stability of AHL franchise and physical proximity to the NHL team.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1064617-ranking-the-30-nhl-farm-systems

For comparison, Bleacher Report's post-2016-draft write-up in June had the Devils at 13th.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2647891-nhl-draft-2016-results-re-ranking-every-teams-prospect-pool/page/19

That was the first thing I noticed too.  Journalism has exploded over the years due to the web which is great, but to be honest, not only is the bar low, it's dropping fast.  Soon we'll need James Cameron.  

13 hours ago, RizzMB30 said:

That was the first thing I noticed too.  Journalism has exploded over the years due to the web which is great, but to be honest, not only is the bar low, it's dropping fast.  Soon we'll need James Cameron.  

ha! great reference

Wow...that was awful.  Not much more than some quick name-searches and VERY minor research.  I'm guessing Tri and a few others on here, if so inclined, could've done a far better job than this guy.  Not much time put into that article at all.   

I don't view it as journalism...  I feel like journalism has imploded (not exploded) over the past few years; and the void is being filled by amateur blog writers becoming legitimatized by the absence of professional journalism.

I actually fully expected the two replacement Devils beat writers to be fan bloggers. Being a newspaper writer these days doesn't have the cachet it used to.

That being said, I like when people post links to articles out there even if they are off kilter it gives us something to talk about in the dead hockey month of August

Definitely...    I'm not criticizing sharing it at all. 
I just miss "professional" coverage.

On 8/1/2016 at 6:18 PM, RizzMB30 said:

Yep, I see it everywhere; in music, in hockey, in design (all areas I'm interested in). "Content, content, content!" is the name of the game now. Websites legit don't care about the quality of stuff anymore. The quicker you can churn out "content", the better. 

They're not called "content mills" for nothing. It's gotten pretty awful if you really care about facts and substance.

Edited by DJ Eco