Devils Ring of Honor

MadDog2020

18 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Missing stall door = for pee pee only. Not really an issue, does anyone really sit down and unload at the arena?

I have done so before actually.  Definitely used the toilet paper on seat thing naturally before I sat down.

When you gotta go you gotta go.

7 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Re: BBA: The Rangers were never fully serious about moving to NJ.  It was a bargaining tactic they used when they were in a legal tussle with the City of New York over their taxes.  It worked in NY's favor, but there was little chance the Rangers would have moved out of NYC.  I know the Nashville move is often seen by fans as just posturing during his negotiations with the NJSEA over the lease in 1995, but in this article it looks like there was more to it:

https://books.google.com/books?id=TnkuSogCVyIC&pg=PA290&lpg=PA290&dq=McMullen+NJSEA+1995&source=bl&ots=MwcdSkN6g7&sig=sQDoW0rAg8O1wAZgsRF6h7Yhk7k&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiup--P-ozQAhUKsFQKHZZXApgQ6AEIITAB#v=onepage&q=McMullen NJSEA 1995&f=false

"Also, Devil's owner McMullen reportedly felt that New Jerseans were never fully appreciative of his efforts to bring the team to New Jersey back in 1982 and had not supported the team in sufficient numbers of the years"

While McMullen is probably correct in his statement, can you imagine the fan uproar if the current owner publicly said or felt the same way?

Fact is that like the current owners McMullen was out here trying to make money like the current owners but was for miserly than the current ones are.  However, he gets a night devoted to him while the new owners get blasted for everything under the sun after investing serious $ into the arena and team.

re:  the bolded...in some ways, what did McMullen expect?  The team was really bad and was coming into a crowded market, and was setting up shop right in the Rangers' backyard.  And of course the Islanders were awesome at the time.  The Devils' first wire-to-wire "elite" season didn't come until 1993-94...and of course, after the magical '88 playoff run, they fell flat on their faces in '88-'89, which hurt a little from a momentum standpoint.  And McMullen's (and Lou's) franchise was never known for being warm and fuzzy.  Whatever people want to say about the new owners, it does feel like they're trying very hard to improve the fan experience, in ways McMullen never would've bothered with.  The on-ice product has issues right now, no question, but I don't see that as being an ownership problem...if anything, they gave Lou a hell of a lot of freedom under their watch. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

You know what drives me crazy? People abusing the "family" bathrooms. That's not for you to just not wait on line. I go to games with my 9 year old, I can't take her into a men's room, and I can't send her into the ladies' alone. So instead I have to wait for the family bathroom, which is there for just that purpose, and inevitably, who comes out? Some lazy a$$hole who just didn't want to wait in line in the regular bathroom. Go f yourself!!

Heh heh, as the dad of an 8-year-old girl, I know EXACTLY what that's like.  When my daughter was about 3 (and talking pretty well), we were on our way somewhere, and she had to go to the bathroom.  I found a truck stop, and had no choice but to bring her into a men's room stall.  As we were going in, she asked "Daddy, why are we in the men's room?  I'm a girl!"  I told her "So Daddy doesn't get arrested and become someone's bitch."  I heard a lot of chuckles in the bathroom over that one. 

And as far as the Devils family bathroom situation goes, it's even worse when the lazy a$$hole in front of you clearly ate some questionable food that led to digestive issues before he went in.  Thanks a lot!

25 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Missing stall door = for pee pee only. Not really an issue, does anyone really sit down and unload at the arena?

By choice, hell no.  In an absolute emergency, sure. 

9 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The Devils' first wire-to-wire "elite" season didn't come until 1993-94...and of course, after the magical '88 playoff run, they fell flat on their faces in '88-'89, which hurt a little from a momentum standpoint. 

True that 93-94 was their first "elite" season.......but dammit, they could have won the Cup in the '90-'91 season........took that 3-2 lead back to Jersey against the Pens, fell down a lot early in Game 6, roared back, and had that tying goal by Boschman wiped away. A video review today would have shown he scored it with his stick.............alas........!!

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Heh heh, as the dad of an 8-year-old girl, I know EXACTLY what that's like.  When my daughter was about 3 (and talking pretty well), we were on our way somewhere, and she had to go to the bathroom.  I found a truck stop, and had no choice but to bring her into a men's room stall.  As we were going in, she asked "Daddy, why are we in the men's room?  I'm a girl!"  I told her "So Daddy doesn't get arrested and become someone's bitch."  I heard a lot of chuckles in the bathroom over that one. 

Last season I went to a game, and an adult couple came out of the family bathroom. The fact that I did not deck that guy is a testament to the fact that I have somewhat matured. Not only were we waiting like 10 minutes, we then had to go find a different one because I wasn't taking her into the one where people had obviously been boning. 

I have, of course, taken her to a men's room before, but when she was much younger (like you said, at 3 is passable) and not in an arena where there are 50 people in there at any given time. 

And to all of you who say you would crap at a hockey game, I understand that sometimes sh!t happens. A couple less stalls because of missing doors isn't going to be an issue because for the most part, people aren't dropping a deuce in there and there will be a stall with a door available shortly. still kinda gross, but not as gross as doing it in your pants. 

From the standpoint of having a beautiful arena with very basic maintenance issues like missing stall doors, yeah, its not a good look. 

True that 93-94 was their first "elite" season.......but dammit, they could have won the Cup in the '90-'91 season........took that 3-2 lead back to Jersey against the Pens, fell down a lot early in Game 6, roared back, and had that tying goal by Boschman wiped away. A video review today would have shown he scored it with his stick.............alas........!!

Oh man, I was at that game 6! I was 12 years old, and my dad's friend had a box that his company had and he invited us. Lou was sitting right in front of us, and when that Boschman goal got waved off, he picked up the TV monitor that was sitting next to him, lifted it up, and slammed it down before storming out of the box. I remember being livid even as a 12-year old that that goal was waved off. It was a terrible call. And then Frank Pieterangelo shut the door on us, and we were blown out in game 7. That was my first series as a fan where I really feel we let one slip away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

That was infuriating...beyond infuriating.  I remember that series VERY well.  There's no nice way to put it...the Devils absolutely got fvcked in that series.  The following season was frustrating too, in that they took the Rangers to 7 in the first round, only to lose again.  Though I liked Terreri then (especially since it seemed like he had to fight so hard to take the job from Burke, who lived on '88 longer than he deserved to), I don't think he ever would've helped the Devils win a Cup in '91.  That team just wasn't good enough...it wouldn't have surprised me if they had lost their next series (though you can make a case they could've beaten the Caps, who the Devils would've played next).   

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Last season I went to a game, and an adult couple came out of the family bathroom. The fact that I did not deck that guy is a testament to the fact that I have somewhat matured. Not only were we waiting like 10 minutes, we then had to go find a different one because I wasn't taking her into the one where people had obviously been boning. 

I have, of course, taken her to a men's room before, but when she was much younger (like you said, at 3 is passable) and not in an arena where there are 50 people in there at any given time. 

And to all of you who say you would crap at a hockey game, I understand that sometimes sh!t happens. A couple less stalls because of missing doors isn't going to be an issue because for the most part, people aren't dropping a deuce in there and there will be a stall with a door available shortly. still kinda gross, but not as gross as doing it in your pants. 

From the standpoint of having a beautiful arena with very basic maintenance issues like missing stall doors, yeah, its not a good look. 

Damn, even at my youngest and horniest, I never would've considered THAT location. 

1 hour ago, '7' said:

Imperatore is still alive too and in his 90's. He bought the team in the late 1970's...where the heck could they have played though as they hadn't even broken ground when he tried to move them.

91 to be exact (I had no idea he was still breathing...damn!).  His owning the team (with clear intentions of moving it out of Denver) effectively killed any chance that "Rocky Hockey" had to succeed...DM84 has some game-worn jerseys from that era, and some of them look cheaper than what some pee-wee hockey teams would wear...there were times where the team actually traveled by school bus, and their "locker room" at their practice facility in the Rockies' final season was a gutted-out trailer.  And it quickly became obvious to local fans that Colorado had become little more than a layover stop.  Sadly, there were actually some good players, but they were constantly being dealt for handfuls of mediocre quality.  The final Rockies owner (Peter Gilbert) was initially committed to trying to build a winner in Colorado (he told Chico Resch as much, which is why Chico signed a multi-year deal to stay), then quickly changed his mind...that led to Lanny McDonald getting traded just 16 games into the 1981-82 season, among other things...it got to the point where most Rockies players just tried to go with the flow and not worry too much about where they'd be playing in 1982-83.

40 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Damn, even at my youngest and horniest, I never would've considered THAT location. 

91 to be exact (I had no idea he was still breathing...damn!).  His owning the team (with clear intentions of moving it out of Denver) effectively killed any chance that "Rocky Hockey" had to succeed...DM84 has some game-worn jerseys from that era, and some of them look cheaper than what some pee-wee hockey teams would wear...there were times where the team actually traveled by school bus, and their "locker room" at their practice facility in the Rockies' final season was a gutted-out trailer.  And it quickly became obvious to local fans that Colorado had become little more than a layover stop.  Sadly, there were actually some good players, but they were constantly being dealt for handfuls of mediocre quality.  The final Rockies owner (Peter Gilbert) was initially committed to trying to build a winner in Colorado (he told Chico Resch as much, which is why Chico signed a multi-year deal to stay), then quickly changed his mind...that led to Lanny McDonald getting traded just 16 games into the 1981-82 season, among other things...it got to the point where most Rockies players just tried to go with the flow and not worry too much about where they'd be playing in 1982-83.

The team was cheap from the beginning and before Imperatore took control.  With the exception of their last season, all of their jerseys were mesh with logos and numbers screen-printed.

I have a 1976-77 white set 1 game worn Larry Skinner jersey.  It is a mesh Champion jersey with screen-printed logos and numbers.  It also doesn't have a fight strap (not uncommon at the time) but does have evidence of a makeshift one being used where a coin was pushed through the fabric with a skate lace being tied around it and being used as the makeshift strap.  You can even see the outline of where they coin was on this jersey (looks like a nickel).  This first set was for years thought to be only worn in the 1976 preseason and never worn in a regular season game until only about a decade or so ago when photographic evidence came up showing this style being used for the first month or so of the 1976-77 season (third pic below).  Apparently their regular and more familiar jerseys were not ready yet so they had to use these ones from their preseason.  This jersey was worn by Skinner in that time including their first game ever in Denver against Toronto.  Skinner actually scored the very first goal in Rockies history in that game, so it is very likely this is the jersey he scored that goal in.

24331733663_7c2cd66907_c.jpg

24331733633_d3d0518c52_c.jpg

24865264431_05c62d4382_z.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

The team was cheap from the beginning and before Imperatore took control.  With the exception of their last season, all of their jerseys were mesh with logos and numbers screen-printed.

I have a 1976-77 white set 1 game worn Larry Skinner jersey.  It is a mesh Champion jersey with screen-printed logos and numbers.  It also doesn't have a fight strap (not uncommon at the time) but does have evidence of a makeshift one being used where a coin was pushed through the fabric with a skate lace being tied around it and being used as the makeshift strap.  You can even see the outline of where they coin was on this jersey (looks like a nickel).  This first set was for years thought to be only worn in the 1976 preseason and never worn in a regular season game until only about a decade or so ago when photographic evidence came up showing this style being used for the first month or so of the 1976-77 season (third pic below).  Apparently their regular and more familiar jerseys were not ready yet so they had to use these ones from their preseason.  This jersey was worn by Skinner in that time including their first game ever in Denver against Toronto.  Skinner actually scored the very first goal in Rockies history in that game, so it is very likely this is the jersey he scored that goal in.

24331733663_7c2cd66907_c.jpg

24331733633_d3d0518c52_c.jpg

24865264431_05c62d4382_z.jpg

That's good stuff. Is that green on the collar or does it just look that way in the picture or from fading?

10 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

That's good stuff. Is that green on the collar or does it just look that way in the picture or from fading?

It's red, yellow and blue.  Lighting in my closet isn't the best.  My retro Devils are even worse when I take pictures as the green parts look black.

5 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Word through the grapevine is that the Devils Den will have little if anything for merchandise for McMullen night.  Not even sure if the patches will be available for retail sale.

Could be completely wrong, but I have heard more than 1 person say this to me.

Sounds about right to me lol

6 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Word through the grapevine is that the Devils Den will have little if anything for merchandise for McMullen night.  Not even sure if the patches will be available for retail sale.

Could be completely wrong, but I have heard more than 1 person say this to me.

That's lame if true.  The patches would absolutely sell if they were made available...maybe not in insane numbers, but there are fans who would buy them in a heartbeat.