No More Hard Tickets

DevsMan84

8 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

You just based this whole rant pound for pound on what the Yankees do. Can we at least CONFIRM some of the details of how the Devils' ticketing situation will work 100% before we overreact like this ^^ ???

Well this is how it would work because it's been confirmed that there will be no hard tickets and no pdfs

6 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

You're right, I should have started my post off with something like "If they do the same thing the Yankees did". 

Oh, wait. 

"What an out of touch and pathetic thing to do. They literally just had to look for five seconds at what a disaster of epic proportions this was for the Yankees. And if the Yankees can't sell tickets to a weekend series against a division rival, who the fvck is going to pay out of their ass to watch the Devils lose 2-0 to Columbus on a tuesday? EDIT: I'll add that if I was a season ticket holder, I would be calling demanding a refund yesterday. There has to be some protections against this; this is an immediate and seriously fvcked up situation for any season ticket holders who don't plan on attending 35+ games this year. What a fvcking disaster."

^^ And then you go on like it's all been confirmed. If "what a fvcking disaster" isn't an overreaction to something that you're talking about strictly hypothetically, I don't know what is.

I don't mean to single you out, my bad for that, but that's all I'm seeing on every Devils page or group, is people overreacting. Relax, let's wait for ALL the details and mechanics of how this will work, to come out before we start proclaiming it a "disaster".

Edited by DJ Eco

On 8/23/2016 at 10:59 AM, DevsMan84 said:

Word is going around that the Devils are doing away with giving out hard ticket booklets to STH and instead giving people cards where their tickets are loaded.  Also if you want to transfer tickets to another account, the other person will have to have the Devils official app and a ticketmaster login to retrieve them as there will no longer be an option to print from home.  For an additional $25 you can get hard tickets, but they will be regular Prudential Center Box Office tickets but you have to call/notify your rep soon if you want this option.

Just an FYI.

I called and this is 100% accurate and correct. The reason for this is to get ahead of Ticketmaster who plans to discontinue all printed tickets outside of the actual venue next year. This decision is done so no amount of complaining will get it walked back. This isn't the Devils fault - this is Ticketmaster's doing. Doesn't make me happy and my rep said that the response has been 75% negative 25% don't care. 50% of STH he's worked with are taking the $25 hard ticket option (what I did). I have to do it because my tickets aren't just for me. I give some games to family or employees and I'm not going to make them have to jump through hoops to use the tickets.

edit: as for stubhub, you can still absolutely do that. but you can't do instant download. you'll have to use stubhub and send ticket information to the purchaser.

Edited by sundstrom

I called and this is 100% accurate and correct. The reason for this is to get ahead of Ticketmaster who plans to discontinue all printed tickets outside of the actual venue next year. This decision is done so no amount of complaining will get it walked back. This isn't the Devils fault - this is Ticketmaster's doing. Doesn't make me happy and my rep said that the response has been 75% negative 25% don't care. 50% of STH he's worked with are taking the $25 hard ticket option (what I did). I have to do it because my tickets aren't just for me. I give some games to family or employees and I'm not going to make them have to jump through hoops to use the tickets.

edit: as for stubhub, you can still absolutely do that. but you can't do instant download. you'll have to use stubhub and send ticket information to the purchaser.

What do you mean Ticketmaster is 'discontinuing printed tickets outside of the actual venue'? What does that mean exactly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

The entire post is "If".

"IF they do the same thing the yankees did." it is an absolute disaster. And, since we have no confirmation and it's August 24th in the goddamn offseason, speculating based on the only other example of a pro franchise using this method seems reasonable. 

7 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

A couple of people on HF did talk to reps and did get details, no jumping the gun here.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showpost.php?p=121587631&postcount=98

Fair, and I take my criticism back then, my bad. :closedeyes:

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

What do you mean Ticketmaster is 'discontinuing printed tickets outside of the actual venue'? What does that mean exactly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it means that ticketmaster is going to only give the option to have a mobile ticket w/ QR code or have a box office ticket printed for you at will call. they are moving towards no paper tickets (printed on hard stock or .pdf download). 

• Like 1

So yeah, all those "steps" and conditions are pretty dumb and tone deaf, and I remember the backlash (and terrible press) the Yankees got. I hope something changes or they have the time or wiggle room to reconsider.

For what it's worth, my ex used to use this app, I think it's called SeatGeek. It's identical to StubHub in most ways (and growing in popularity) BUT you were able to sell your tickets using ONLY the mobile ticket (did not need PDF although it could produce one for the buyer if they needed to print one instead of mobile). I think this may be the way to go unfortunately. I don't remember being able to sell on StubHub using only the mobile ticket but maybe I'm wrong.

Edited by DJ Eco
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

That's the issue. 

a) The majority of people who use stubhub do it for the convenience of not having to wait on / sweat over printed tickets
b) this now means the vast majority of people who buy last-minute tickets (day before or day-of) can not do so. Same exact thing as the yankees.

unless they make the mobile app so ubiquitous and easy that it doesn't matter. its a killer for those w/o smartphones or less tech savvy people and i could see the devils absolutely take an attendance hit this year because of it but this is what you get when you have a monopoly like ticketmaster that wants to dictate how things will work.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

That's the issue. 

a) The majority of people who use stubhub do it for the convenience of not having to wait on / sweat over printed tickets
b) this now means the vast majority of people who buy last-minute tickets (day before or day-of) can not do so. Same exact thing as the yankees.

Also, the whole "this isn't the Devils fault" thing is complete bullsh!t. The majority of teams in pro sports use ticketmaster. I just bought instant-download Florida Panthers home game tickets on StubHub. This is the Devils doing this, their hands are in no way tied.

Well you can get last minute tickets, you just have to do it via TE with their nine million fees, or physically at the box office.

16 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

That's the issue. 

Also, the whole "this isn't the Devils fault" thing is complete bullsh!t. The majority of teams in pro sports use ticketmaster. I just bought instant-download Florida Panthers home game tickets on StubHub. This is the Devils doing this, their hands are in no way tied.

Exactly, I have several friends who are Rangers season ticket holders and the Rangers don't do any of this nonsense. 

17 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

unless they make the mobile app so ubiquitous and easy that it doesn't matter. its a killer for those w/o smartphones or less tech savvy people and i could see the devils absolutely take an attendance hit this year because of it but this is what you get when you have a monopoly like ticketmaster that wants to dictate how things will work.

Another great point, my parents and I'm sure others with older parents would never be able to figure out how to get the tickets on their phones. Hell they can barely text message and my dad still has a  flip phone just for emergencies because he hates them. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

Exactly, I have several friends who are Rangers season ticket holders and the Rangers don't do any of this nonsense. 

they will next year when Ticketmaster does not support a pdf ticket. the devils are getting out in front of it. this isn't some sort of "protect season ticket holder value" bullsh!t. don't you think everyone knows that this is a massive inconvenience? the yankees, because of their ridiculously high season ticket commitment had to try and keep those tickets with value. The devils are not hearing "i don't get STH value" because they absolutely increase STH value with all the extras they do - the private invites, skates, add ons, events, etc.

there is no financial motivation for the devils to do this. 

4 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

they will next year when Ticketmaster does not support a pdf ticket. the devils are getting out in front of it. this isn't some sort of "protect season ticket holder value" bullsh!t. don't you think everyone knows that this is a massive inconvenience? the yankees, because of their ridiculously high season ticket commitment had to try and keep those tickets with value. The devils are not hearing "i don't get STH value" because they absolutely increase STH value with all the extras they do - the private invites, skates, add ons, events, etc.

I'll have to ask my Rangers fan friends what they do but I don't think the Rangers have any restrictions on selling tickets. 

And in reference to the value those extras suck for me cause I'm someone who doesn't care about meeting players and going to a lot of these events which I personally feel are a waste of time. I know some people like going to listen to the coach or hall talk and answer questions but I find them to be horrendously boring. All I want is my season tickets and the ability to get rid of my tickets if I can't go anyway I see fit. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

17 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

SeatGeek didn't work for Yankees tickets. Neither did StubHub. The only way to get Devils tickets now will be through the TM website directly or FanExchange, which has a cap on how low a seller can price their ticket (and a cap on how many season tickets the STH can sell). Again, if you've ever used the NJTransit App for tickets, that's the best way I can explain it to you. It's going to be a flashing code on the bottom of the ticket that allows access through the gates (YS had some weird platform-like sensors). PDFs for Print-at-home tickets, are now useless -- aka, grabbing cheap seats the night before a Devils game from someone who said "fvck it, I guess $20/ticket is better than nothing". 

Okay, yeah, that's pretty awful and annoying.

• Like 1

I am not pleased by this but not in panic mode yet.  Mostly in a wait and see sort of place as I do purchase pretty much all my tickets the day of on Stubhub.

Reason why I am not freaking out is that I do believe that most of the tickets on SH are sold by the Devils themselves or their brokers.  I have a feeling they will find a way to get those into our hands.

1 hour ago, sundstrom said:

Aren't there anti monopoly laws that can prevent TM/TicketExchange from doing something specifically aimed at destroying their competition? Eliminating hard copy and pdf's is preventing sale through other means.

Edited by NJDevs4978

As someone who lives out of town and only makes it to one or two games a year, this is really discouraging. I almost exclusively buy through StubHub simply because I don't know until the day before a game whether I can actually make it or not. 

Oh well, I guess the organization technically isn't losing my money since I never bought from them direct in the first place, but I doubt I'll be going to any games this season now. If I was a STH i would strongly consider cancelling.

1 hour ago, sundstrom said:

it means that ticketmaster is going to only give the option to have a mobile ticket w/ QR code or have a box office ticket printed for you at will call. they are moving towards no paper tickets (printed on hard stock or .pdf download). 

I don't buy that this is all Ticketmaster's doing, and the Devils have no say over it.  Even if they are trying to "get out ahead of it," it's a bad move on the Devils part. They should be fighting Ticketmaster every step of the way on this, not making it easier for them to implement this ridiculous policy.  

Plus, it is borderline consumer fraud for the team to charge $25 to have the tickets printed on "commemorative stock" when it was sold as a perk of being a STH in the renewal package .  I refuse to pay that fee out of principal.  I love having my season tickets, but this year is it for me.          

6 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

I don't buy that this is all Ticketmaster's doing, and the Devils have no say over it.  Even if they are trying to "get out ahead of it," it's a bad move on the Devils part. They should be fighting Ticketmaster every step of the way on this, not making it easier for them to implement this ridiculous policy.  

Plus, it is borderline consumer fraud for the team to charge $25 to have the tickets printed on "commemorative stock" when it was sold as a perk of being a STH in the renewal package .  I refuse to pay that fee out of principal.  I love having my season tickets, but this year is it for me.          

Are you gonna argue about having to pay the fee or just not get hard tickets? Cause Im going to especially since they said it was included in the tickets 

14 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

That line is not accurate.  The commemorative stock is the "cricket" that you will receive for entrance to all games.  However, if you want hard tickets for each and every game, you will have to pay $25 and for that you will get hard tickets on the plain gray Prudential Center stock.

36 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

Exactly. To say the Devils have no say in how their tickets are distributed is utter nonsense. They're in on it.

I posted this over on HF.  I've also sent a very long e-mail to numerous Devils accounts voicing my extreme displeasure and anger over this.  What a FUBAR.

I'll likely be a 1 and done STH. I was looking at the 5-game buyback, selling 5 games on my own and giving 5 or so games to friends and family.

Since the 5-game buyback refund is applied to 2017-18 STH packages only, it's now off the table since I'm probably not going to renew. Selling the games on Ticketbastard speaks for itself. I would prefer using SeatGeek. Giving the tickets to friends and family isn't that big of a deal, but I find handing them a nice looking hard ticket more appealing. Plus they can be kept as a souvenir of sorts.

I wasn't looking to profit from any of this. My intent for becoming a STH was to be able to have the same seat for each game and get to know some other fans as well.

All this from the organization ranked 26th in home attendance.

• Like 3