2017 NHL Draft Thread

CommonDreads

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Some have said that Lilegrin might turn out to be as good as Erik Karllson, and others have said he's nothing that special.  

Lets hope we end up in the top two.

Absolutely positively get Cale Makar over Lilegrin.

Most scouts like him in the top 10, but he's exactly what the Devs need to prioritize upon(if Shattenkirk is a no go), a talented right D with exceptional Skill & Speed. A puck moving Dman, that I wouldn't mind one bit getting on our 1st selection, but if the Devs have to lose for the rest of this season to up their changes in this draft, so be it.

Heck, I've always been a 'quality over quantity' believer anyway, so, if needed, maybe offering multiple picks and some warm bodies to get an additional high 1st rounder for some offense would be nice... esp after this lingering sour taste from Lou's latter years legacy, his previous policies on overpriced, second hand hits, and oldies at the sacrifice for the franchise's future.

Currently I'd rank Makar as the 4th best d-man in this draft behind Liljegren, Hague, and Foote. Makar is probably the best pure offensive defenseman but I find the other three to be more versatile players. Nic Hague is still an intriguing player for me (and one I see slipping for god knows why), 6'6", smooth skater, and great offensive instincts. All situations defenseman, still love the kid. Have Hague ranked #9 right now.

• 2 weeks later...

While I was bored nearly to tears today and trying my best to not break out and kill a coworker for piss-poor management, I read Craig Button's draft prospect preview:

http://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-lots-of-talent-after-patrick-hischier-1.702428

For zero reason whatsoever, I feel as though we don't get a top 3 pick, by say losing the lottery, we'll draft Casey Mittelstadt. Just a gut feeling with no justification behind it.

I can't stand Craig Button's rankings, probably the worst signifier of where most players will go. Martin Necas #3? Nic Hague #55??? My top 10 right now would have to be

1. Nolan Patrick, C, Brandon (WHL)

2. Nico Hischier, C, Halifax (QMJHL)

3. Casey Mittelstadt, C/LW, Eden Prairie (USHS)

4. Elias Pettersson, C, Timra (SWE-2)

5. Gabriel Vilardi, C, Windsor (OHL)

6. Owen Tippett, RW, Mississauga (OHL)

7. Timothy Liljegren, D, Timra (SWE-2)

8. Michael Rasmussen, C, Tri-City (WHL)

9. Juuso Valimaki, D, Tri-City (WHL)

10. Nicolas Hague, D, Mississauga (OHL)

3 hours ago, lucifer91 said:

Are any of these NHL ready and can step right in or do they need more time developing?

From what I've heard it's a mixed bag. 

But overall this is not an impressive draft class when it comes to high end talent or depth.

Out of Vilardi, Middlestadt, Petterson, and Glass which project to be NHL centers and which will probably shift to a wing? I'm assuming both Patrick and Hischier will be NHL centers.

I'm getting pretty excited that we should land a good player at this point and it looks like we should be able to get a center.

Edited by Jerzey

17 hours ago, Jerzey said:

Out of Vilardi, Middlestadt, Petterson, and Glass which project to be NHL centers and which will probably shift to a wing? I'm assuming both Patrick and Hischier will be NHL centers.

I'm getting pretty excited that we should land a good player at this point and it looks like we should be able to get a center.

Pettersson most likely a winger.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2017 at 11:27 AM, Jerzey said:

Mittelstadt and Pettersson would be the most likely to shift to the wing. Pretty sure Mittelstadt plays mostly center in high school and in the USHL but I really like his skill and speed along the boards, think he could be an elite NHL winger

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just posted my most recent Mock Draft, per usual check it out of you'd like, also included small write ups on each player so you can get the gist of their play  styles :cheers:

https://ridingpinehockey.wordpress.com/2017/04/10/2017-nhl-mock-draft-april-10th/

1. COL - Nolan Patrick, C, Brandon (WHL)
2. VAN - Nico Hischier, C, Halifax (QMJHL)
3. VGK - Gabriel Vilardi, C, Windsor (OHL)
4. ARZ - Casey Mittelstadt, C/LW, Eden Prairie (USHS)
5. NJD - Elias Pettersson, C, Timrå (SWE-2)
6. BUF - Owen Tippett, RW, Mississauga (OHL)
7. DET - Timothy Liljegren, D, Timrå (SWE-2)
8. DAL - Juuso Välimäki, D, Tri-City (WHL)
9. FLA - Eeli Tolvanen, LW, Sioux City (USHL)
10. LA - Michael Rasmussen, C, Tri-City (WHL)

• Like 3

11 hours ago, CommonDreads said:

Just posted my most recent Mock Draft, per usual check it out of you'd like, also included small write ups on each player so you can get the gist of their play  styles :cheers:

https://ridingpinehockey.wordpress.com/2017/04/10/2017-nhl-mock-draft-april-10th/

I like your mock, butI disagree on NJ taking Patterson because physically others are far  more mature. I've read Patterson will be 3-4 years (to grow into his frame) before he's ready. I think the Devils will take someone like Tippett/Rasmussen/Middlestadt. Shero doesn't have time for a project. Needs someone a year or two away. I just hope it's a fw, but if it's a D (Liljegren) thats fine too I guess.

1 hour ago, Toasterleavins said:

Do not want Tippet or Rasmussen at all. Tippet reminds me way too much of Virtanen, and id rather have last years version of Rasmussen (Logan Brown), who actually has the skill and mental ability to match his size and skating.

I see Tippett and Virtanen as two completely different players, Virtanen always had a power to his game and he's kind of molded into a power forward rather than a sniper over these past couple years, whereas Tippett is as pure of an offensive player as you'll find. I was watching him play against Oshawa the other day, he relies on speed and shot to create offense, while Virtanen was always more of a guy who relied on his strength off the cycle game. I'm a big Tippett fan, kid can really rip the puck that's for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vadvlfan said:

I like your mock, butI disagree on NJ taking Patterson because physically others are far  more mature. I've read Patterson will be 3-4 years (to grow into his frame) before he's ready. I think the Devils will take someone like Tippett/Rasmussen/Middlestadt. Shero doesn't have time for a project. Needs someone a year or two away. I just hope it's a fw, but if it's a D (Liljegren) thats fine too I guess.

I don't see Pettersson as that far off, he's already a dominant player playing against men in Sweden. He's not a guy who's going to rely a lot on his strength to create offense, and while I agree he'll probably need a year or two to bulk up a bit, I think his vision and playmaking ability will be able to take him to the next level. I usually hate Craig Button's writing, but he threw out a comparison for him yesterday that I liked a lot, Pettersson plays a lot like a young Henrik Zetterberg.

I was just looking at some of the players further down the rankings (slow day, for once) and there are a couple of players racking up the points. Kailer Yamamoto has 99 points in 65 games this year and 227 in total in 190 WHL games. Is his ranking so low because he's only 5'8"?

37 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

I was just looking at some of the players further down the rankings (slow day, for once) and there are a couple of players racking up the points. Kailer Yamamoto has 99 points in 65 games this year and 227 in total in 190 WHL games. Is his ranking so low because he's only 5'8"?

Was actually talking about Yamamoto yesterday, I really think if he was 6'0" he would be in the conversation with Patrick and Hischier. Still think the NHL has an unfair prejudice against smaller players when it comes to the draft, only for it to bite them in the ass later when guys that were "too small" to play in the NHL fall to the 4th round and start lighting them up like Johnny Gaudreau and Viktor Arvidsson.

Also, Central Scouting released their final rankings today. The North American rankings are pretty in line with my thoughts as well, but I couldn't disagree more with the European rankings:

http://www.tsn.ca/2017-nhl-cs-final-draft-ranking-na-skaters-1.721439

http://www.tsn.ca/2017-nhl-cs-final-draft-ranking-eur-skaters-1.721441

6 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Also, Central Scouting released their final rankings today. The North American rankings are pretty in line with my thoughts as well, but I couldn't disagree more with the European rankings:

http://www.tsn.ca/2017-nhl-cs-final-draft-ranking-na-skaters-1.721439

http://www.tsn.ca/2017-nhl-cs-final-draft-ranking-eur-skaters-1.721441

Do elaborate.

30 minutes ago, Marshall said:

Do elaborate.

Really my big complaint is Klim Kostin still at #1, I get production isn't everything but the guy is touted as an offensive player and has 2 total points this season. If people wanna look at a player who has the potential to be this year's Virtanen, it's him imo. Also think Liljegren should be higher than #6.

5 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Really my big complaint is Klim Kostin still at #1, I get production isn't everything but the guy is touted as an offensive player and has 2 total points this season. If people wanna look at a player who has the potential to be this year's Virtanen, it's him imo. Also think Liljegren should be higher than #6.

Koston is weird judging by his #s, I haven't seen him play at all. I'd take Heiskanen and possibly also Brannstrom over Liljegren.

26 minutes ago, Marshall said:

Koston is weird judging by his #s, I haven't seen him play at all. I'd take Heiskanen and possibly also Brannstrom over Liljegren.

I know with Kostin what scouts really like is he seems well equipped to transfer his game over to North America, he works well off the cycle and is really strong on the puck but I'm not sure the offensive creativity is there for him to ranked #1 overall in Europe.