Sign in to follow this  
roomtemp

25 years ago today

Say thank you to Judge Houston - not St Louis (they offered Cujo/Brind'Amour + picks as compensation) :evil: : 

25 years ago today, 9/3/91, Judge Edward Houston awarded Scott Stevens to the Devils as compensation for the Blues signing Brendan Shanahan.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/the-brendan-shanahanscott-stevens-switch-20-years-later?urn=nhl,wp9643

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Say thank you to Judge Houston - not St Louis (they offered Cujo/Brind'Amour + picks as compensation) :evil: : 

25 years ago today, 9/3/91, Judge Edward Houston awarded Scott Stevens to the Devils as compensation for the Blues signing Brendan Shanahan.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/the-brendan-shanahanscott-stevens-switch-20-years-later?urn=nhl,wp9643

I believe that was the 9th increasing offer St Louis made. The Devils never changed their ask of Stevens. 

Would've been something to have social media be around for that...and also the board reaction for when he refused to report.

I remember being really pissed when Shanny left. Then they awarded us Stevens, and I thought immediately it could be franchise altering. 

Took a few more pieces, but it certainly was. 

On September 3, 2016 at 2:53 PM, Devils731 said:

I believe that was the 9th increasing offer St Louis made. The Devils never changed their ask of Stevens. 

Their first offer was Dan Quinn IIRC.  Brind'Amour and Joseph obviously went on to have good careers, but both were unproven then.  

15 hours ago, Marshall said:

Would've been something to have social media be around for that...and also the board reaction for when he refused to report.

You also had a number of Devils threatening to walk out unless their contracts were renegotiated.  Other GMs were condescendingly telling Lou "Stevens will never play for you, so just trade him and you'll get what you get."  Lou basically told them all to go screw, then somehow got through that whole mess with the near-mutiny.  He even made a nice deal in moving one of the dissenters, dealing Kirk Muller and Roland Melanson for Stephane Richer and Tom Chorske.

• Like 1