2016 NFL Regular Season Thread

'7'

Not that he does himself any favors with his inability to slide but the dude is made out of pure glass. Pretty funny everyone had durability and "small stature" concerns over the QB that was taken 74 picks later in the same draft and who has yet to miss a single game.

By the way, whoever has Gary Barnidge in your guys' fantasy league should be doing backflips over this occurrence. 

Edited by nmigliore

That was your textbook 'Dolphins kick their fans in the balls again' loss... I mean if there's a Dolphins fan alive who tells you they truly thought the defense would actually stop Seattle on the last drive, that person is either A). Lying or B). Not old enough to understand how it works with the Dolphins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

36 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

Not that he does himself any favors with his inability to slide but the dude is made out of pure glass. Pretty funny everyone had durability and "small stature" concerns over the QB that was taken 74 picks later in the same draft and who has yet to miss a single game.

By the way, whoever has Gary Barnidge in your guys' fantasy league should be doing backflips over this occurrence. 

I don't know why I found the RG3 thing funny, I shouldn't...but maybe it's just inevitable regardless cause the guy's been so star-crossed since the playoff game in his rookie season.

And the first coach whacking is Greg Roman up in Buffalo. Their best offensive player was a decoy last night, their D gets taken to the woodshed on national TV and it's the OC that goes...never change, Rex :lol:

That's exactly what I thought- they scored plenty enough points to win last night, but Roman gets the axe after Rex's vaunted defense gets beat down. Seems fair. [emoji849]

17 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

That's exactly what I thought- they scored plenty enough points to win last night, but Roman gets the axe after Rex's vaunted defense gets beat down. Seems fair. emoji849.png

And I get that seven of their points came defensively and two of the TD's were one play breakdowns, but still it's a horrible optic given that your best receiver was a cripple, your 1A running back got himself suspended and cut before the season and the offense wasn't the one getting shredded to pieces by Fitz, Marshall, Forte and co

And I get that seven of their points came defensively and two of the TD's were one play breakdowns, but still it's a horrible optic given that your best receiver was a cripple, your 1A running back got himself suspended and cut before the season and the offense wasn't the one getting shredded to pieces by Fitz, Marshall, Forte and co

Rex will either be a very highly paid DC or a very highly paid studio analyst this time next year... He will never be a HC again after this season.

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Rex will either be a very highly paid DC or a very highly paid studio analyst this time next year... He will never be a HC again after this season.

Agree completely...he just never evolved or learned from his mistakes.  His brother will be done period. 

• Like 1

One caveat. College. He can still likely go be a head coach somewhere in college. Some school may see him as a good recruiting type and a personality who can raise the image of their program. And if he does well there 4-5 years somebody may give him one last NFL shot.

Otherwise I think he'll be a DC. If he becomes a studio analyst it will only be for like two years. He loves football too much.

Honestly I think Rex's ego is too big to go back to being a DC at this point, unless for some reason Woody foisted him on Bowles or whoever was the coach or Harbaugh brought him back to Baltimore.  I think he'd do it for those two franchises but otherwise it's studio work and/or a college job like 7 said.

Buffalo fires Greg Roman. Warning shot to Rex that his head isn't too far behind. But you know what...look at the talent on that teams offense. Roman has done the best possible job he could with Tyrod Taylor. He designs the offense around his strengths and has him playing at a respectable level. Taylor has started 16 games as a Bill and has 3,400 yards passing, 63% completion percentage. 23 touchdowns, 7 int's.

McCoy is on the decline, run into the ground by Philly. Watkins has seemingly always been hobbled. They got something out of Chris Hogan last year. Robert Woods is ok but nothing special. Charles Clay...meh.

Roman did a nice job piecing together a not terrible offense among mediocre talent and nagging injuries

Browns blew a 20-0 lead, with the momentum shift coming on a blocked PAT being run back for 2. Of course. So Browns.

After hanging tough with the Seahawks in Seattle (no small feat) I was shocked at how poor Miami played in N.E. I thought that would be a tight game and Miami's D would continue its impressive play.

Patriots look like a very well oiled "plug and play" machine. Granted Brissett doesn't have 2 years under his belt of strict learning like Garoppolo but I think they go 4-0 here. They're only guilty of getting into the recliner a bit too early vs. Miami. When you're up 31-3 in the 2nd half the opponent should've be on your side of the field in the final seconds trying to tie the game. 

Bengals talked sh!t, Pitt smacked them down again. And unlike us, they stopped AJ Green.

Raiders dropped what may have been their last home opener ever in Oakland to Atlanta. Just not in love with the Raiders D. Their O will be dynamic this year but that team is uneven and has 8-8

Edited by '7'

How about Seattle losing to LA? I had a sneaky feeling that game would be close -- hobbled Wilson, Rams home opener back in LA, coming off an embarrassing performance on MNF, the advantage the Rams' D-line has over Seattle's porous O-line, etc. -- but I didn't expect LA to come out on top (they still haven't scored a TD this season!).

Seattle is 3-3 dating back to Week 16 of last season (including playoffs) and have scored just 15 points this season. 

19 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

How about Seattle losing to LA? I had a sneaky feeling that game would be close -- hobbled Wilson, Rams home opener back in LA, coming off an embarrassing performance on MNF, the advantage the Rams' D-line has over Seattle's porous O-line, etc. -- but I didn't expect LA to come out on top (they still haven't scored a TD this season!).

Seattle is 3-3 dating back to Week 16 of last season (including playoffs) and have scored just 15 points this season. 

The Rams also seem to rise up to topple Seattle once a year before losing to the Raiders or some other nondescript team 35-0 the next week.

Lots of big injuries this week too...AP, Ware, and the Pats are probably gonna be down to a third string nobody against the Texans...and still win.

'7', re: the Pats, that was a lot of same ol' same ol', regarding the (overrated) defense.  Tannehill completely carved them up, which becomes more obvious when the Patriot O suddenly can't pile on the points.   You don't ask the Patriot D to win a game for you.  But the Pats were in a very difficult spot for sure...with Brissett being called upon, the play-calling on O had to be dialed back...what the Pat D actually did somewhat decently was avoid the quick-strike TD...the Dolphins did score, but not TOO quickly.

If the Pats win one of the next two, I'll be thrilled.  I can't ask much of a rookie QB who's had so little time to acclimate himself.  And the Pat D is as vulnerable as ever.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I think this week will be tough on New England. Such a short window to get Brissett fully prepared against a strong defense (Houston leads the league in sacks and rank inside the top 10 in yards per play and points allowed), who knows if Gronk will play, and while Osweiler is meh Houston has plenty of explosive playmakers on offense in Hopkins, Fuller, and Miller. 

They do get the reeling Bills (at home) after that though, and Jimmy G *might* be back by then (plus Gronk if not this week), so 3-1 seems do-able. 

Edited by nmigliore

I think the Patriots win vs Houston. Belichick is at his best facing adversity, he gets creative and he gets them even better prepared than when Brady is at the helm and he can just fallback and defer to Brady (and sometime try goofy things in games). Brissett was actually thought of as a fairly solid prospect coming out of college...not a blue chipper but somebody with a legit upside. He was known as a playmaker with a big arm

53 minutes ago, '7' said:

I think the Patriots win vs Houston. Belichick is at his best facing adversity, he gets creative and he gets them even better prepared than when Brady is at the helm and he can just fallback and defer to Brady (and sometime try goofy things in games). Brissett was actually thought of as a fairly solid prospect coming out of college...not a blue chipper but somebody with a legit upside. He was known as a playmaker with a big arm

That's still a lot to ask of a kid who clearly didn't figure into the 2016-17 plans unless the absolute worst happened.  BB and the Pats clearly had to spend most of their QB prep time on Garoppolo (and the results paid off right up until he got hurt).  If the Pats win this game tomorrow, that's going to be one hell of a feat.  The funny thing is that the Boston networks (who are as homerific as it gets...they make Beez look neutral) seem to think that 4-0 is going to be no problem.  I would love to believe it...I just don't see it.  I think if they win one out of the next two, all Pats fans have to be thrilled.