Around the League: 2016-17 edition

MadDog2020

In case anyone's wondering about the Yakupov conditional pick (as I was): 

"Zach Pochiro is the prospect heading to Edmonton in the deal. He spent last season in the ECHL with the Quad City Mallards, putting up 26 points in 44 games. Additionally, a conditional third-round pick was sent to the Oilers to acquire Yakupov. That pick becomes a second-rounder if Yakupov scores 15 or more goals this season."

What do people think of Yakupov? I admittedly haven't seen much of him since his first season or two, but I would have definitely liked to see him have a shot with NJ. I agree that he may have been a good winger for Zacha in the long term if he were able to turn it around. Seems highly unlikely that Chiarelli would deal another first OA pick to NJ after the reaction to the Hall trade, though. Pretty solid move from the Blues' end.

24 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Gotta wonder how much he's got in the tank with all of these concussion issues. 

Was thinking the same thing.  Guy is definitely not the easiest to root for and will never have that universal appeal, but he's put up some (obviously) terrific numbers:

1.326 points-per-game for his career (108.7 per 82 GP), over 100 points five times, +148...and that's just the most basic stuff.  In seven out of ten non-lockout shortened seasons, he played in 77 or more games...so it's not like he was constantly missing 20 or so games per season, the way Lindros often did.  Also has the hardware with two Cups.  

Can't see him not making the HHOF, but I won't be surprised if Lindros HHOF supporters don't wind up using Crosby as a comparable.  I'd say yes to Crosby and no to Lindros myself.

On 9/27/2016 at 7:46 PM, MadDog2020 said:

Don't forget Al Trautwig, who's just BRUTAL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still waiting for his usual slew of annoying anti-Devils quips intended to get under our skin.

"And the Rangers on the powerplay goal tie things up in Newark...feeling very much at home in the Devils arena"

"With four minutes to go in the 2nd a very questionable call against Kreider gave the Devils an opportunity that they would cash in on, Lundqvist who is used to OWNING NEW JERSEY...could not quite keep this deflected shot from the point out and the Devils went ahead 2-1, a veritable offensive outburst from them..."

29 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Was thinking the same thing.  Guy is definitely not the easiest to root for and will never have that universal appeal, but he's put up some (obviously) terrific numbers:

1.326 points-per-game for his career (108.7 per 82 GP), over 100 points five times, +148...and that's just the most basic stuff.  In seven out of ten non-lockout shortened seasons, he played in 77 or more games...so it's not like he was constantly missing 20 or so games per season, the way Lindros often did.  Also has the hardware with two Cups.  

Can't see him not making the HHOF, but I won't be surprised if Lindros HHOF supporters don't wind up using Crosby as a comparable.  I'd say yes to Crosby and no to Lindros myself.

Lindros is already in, he was elected in this year.  

Crosby is a first-ballot HOFer if he never plays another game.

3 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Lindros is already in, he was elected in this year.  

Crosby is a first-ballot HOFer if he never plays another game.

Doh on Lindros.  Guess I'll go back to sleep now.  Sad thing is I think I already knew that, but forgot.  

Agree, Crosby should go in on the first ballot, I just did a really bad job saying it (beyond pointing the more obvious numbers that prove it).

Sounds like Kucherov and TB may also be close to a deal.

Today's waived players from BM:

Any interest in any of these guys? Was surprised to see Parenteau waived. Pulkkinen hasn't done much at the NHL level but had 61 points in 46 AHL games in 2014-15..

Edited by nmigliore

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I honestly thought Cory Conacher was going to be a good player when he came up, still surprising to see his struggle. Had a good season in the Swiss league, but as we know, Swiss goalies are full of holes. 

:D

Same 100%. I thought he was going to be pretty damn good. I'd like to think he still has a chance to pan out. 

Didn't know much about Griffith before looking him up, but was surprised to see he had the 2nd most points in the AHL last season despite playing quite a bit less games compared to the folks around him on the leaderboard. Was also tied for 1st in PP assists. Only 23. Seems like the kind of player we should take a flier on. Why not?